Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Purchasing parts for a Gaming Rig - $850 Budget (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/34632-purchasing-parts-gaming-rig-850-budget.html)

wing July 28, 2010 04:14 PM

Purchasing parts for a Gaming Rig - $850 Budget

Hello everyone. After browsing around for a pre-made computer for quite sometime I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to partake in actually building my very own from scratch. (My first time mind you)

I was hoping one of you could assist me in picking out the parts that would suit my needs the best.
- Also since this is my first time ordering parts online, would it be more efficient if I just ordered them all from one place, or just shop around other websites with cheaper prices?

Only website that I know of, and seems most reliable is -- Newegg.com
  • The computer will be mainly used for hardcore gaming and some light media work.
  • My budget is around $850 give or take.
  • I will be ordering parts out of America
  • Just looking for the rig and parts, don't need mouse/keyboard/speakers/monitor. - Ontop of that my resolution is 1280x1024
  • I did a little bit of browsing for similar threads but they were mainly from out of Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I came up with so far, with a total price of 841 after shipping and taxes. Thoughts, improvements?
http://i26.tinypic.com/351gu43.jpg

jcmaz July 28, 2010 05:20 PM

Drop the 5850 unless you really want it and get a GTX 460. It's cheaper ~ $220-250.

Get a Phenom 945 with the saved monies :)

xlilmissmjx July 28, 2010 05:57 PM

+1 on the GTX460 & 945! You will enjoy a sweeter system for sure!

I would change the board to the newer 8 series AMD Chipset though, as they offer more "future-proofing" with SATA3 & USB3, plus native support (no BIOS updating) for the newer Phenom II X6 cpu's. I say this because later on you may wish to upgrade your cpu for a better one and you may even consider getting an ssd when they come down in price too, so having a more current 880G or 890GX board would a wise investment.

I chose the 880G & 890GX boards because u've got a 785G board so I'm lead to believe that you want onboard graphics just in case your video card doesn't post or gives you some trouble later on.

Otherwise, everything else looks great! Good luck with your build :thumb:

wing July 28, 2010 06:38 PM

Thanks! I'm really quite excited about all this, yet nervous about building it all at the same time. Hah

http://i26.tinypic.com/33kfb6v.jpg

How's this look? I took your advice and swapped out the parts for the gtx460 and 945, and 890gx, but damn there's so many different brands I wasn't sure which to choose from (So I just went with reviews and specs, if any red-flags on the brands that I've chosen please let me know).

Also would upping the battery power to 850w be something to look into as well, or should I just keep it as is.

Btw - $40 from total from cupons = a sexy price indeed. Hah

Zero82z July 28, 2010 08:09 PM

1) I recommend one of these cases instead of the Antec: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case or Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2) I'd go with this GTX 460 instead: Newegg.com - MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

3) For the power supply, get this: Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Or if you don't mind rebates, this: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

4) I suggest switching to this RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

xlilmissmjx July 29, 2010 03:01 AM

I was giving this some thought overnight and while the both versions of GTX460 are wonderful cards, since you building an AMD based system, you wouldn't be able to do SLI if you choose to get a second GTX460 later on (due to nvidia's licensing of SLI).

For your monitor atm, a 5770 1GB would be sweet and 2 of them in crossfire would be overkill, but if you were to upgrade your monitor to a 1920x1080 later on, then the 2 5770's in crossfire would be equal to the 5850 which could give you alot of eye candy! Another way of doing it would be to stay with the original 5850 and pick up another one later on and enjoy HEAPS of eye candy for sure!

If you wanted to go Intel's way, even though it would push up your budget by an extra $100 or so, you could pick an i5 750 and an Asus P7P55D-E Pro USB3, keep the GTX460 and pick up another GTX460 later on for sli. If you wanted to save on that extra $100 then keep the board i suggested and get the i3 530 and upgrade the cpu later on as well.

It's all up to you though, as some people prefer just a single video card option and others don't mind doing crossfire/sli setups.

wing July 29, 2010 01:40 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I feel more confident now in purchasing these parts. I may just post the finished product up, if the shipping doesn't take too long! Haha

And to answer lilmiss, Yes. I do plan on purchasing a new monitor in the future, but as it stands now it wasn't as important as upgrading my ancient computer rig. =]

_dangtx_ July 29, 2010 02:07 PM

case wise try the new cm 430 or the new lianli, both can be pm'ed under 50 buckers.

youre paying way too much for that 785 mobo, lets see if giga has one in stock ...NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AMD785G mATX AM2+ PCI-E DDR2 Video Sound GBLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA785GM-US2H In Canada.

or get this beast : NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AMD870 ATX AM3 DDR3 1PCI-E 2PCI RAID HD Sound GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - GA-870A-UD3 In Canada.

check skys review. this thing clocks liek mad.