Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2010, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If your not sure on the RAM take a look at these:
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM (3x2GB) DDR3 [GS-F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM] - $215.00 : PC Case Gear
There good quality and the heat spreader matches the heat sinks on the mobo perfectly
Old July 24, 2010, 04:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
any chance you may reconsider a gtx 460 setup? if the system is not for gaming necessarily, drop only one in now :)

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeF...es/perfrel.gif

and youre not taking the 922?
I read a lot of reviews on the 5870 and it was deemed to be one of the best cards (besides the 5970 which is to much). I know it might be a bit much for not a gaming machine but i think i got my heart sat on it, but i wil do a bit more research first on the 460 card before i buy. I need to wait until next week to roder my gear because of bloody work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamula66 View Post
If your not sure on the RAM take a look at these:
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM (3x2GB) DDR3 [GS-F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM] - $215.00 : PC Case Gear
There good quality and the heat spreader matches the heat sinks on the mobo perfectly
That Memory was my original picked but i am actally wondering if the heatsinks will cause an issue with an aftermarket cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler.

I was also lookig atG.Skill Ripjaws F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3
orG.Skill Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD (3x2GB) DDR3

922 vs. K62R1

Have you guys taken at look at the case ? I think its awesome from the look (and fucntionallity)

LanCool Website

Went into th eshop where i life today and they actually had a 922 in there unwrapped. I must say it looks nice but there is a lot fo palstic on it.

Both cases can hold cards up to 290 so that shoudlnt be a problem.

The Lang Li has 2 top fans(140) with 1000rmp, Front fan (140)with 1000 rpm and a rear fan(120) with 1500 rpm

The 922 has
Front: 200 mm fan x 1 Red LED on / off fan x 1 / 700 RPM / 19 dBA
(can be swap for 120 / 140 mm fan x 1)
Top: 200 mm fan x 1 / 700 RPM / 19 dBA (can be swap to 120 mm fan x 2 )
Rear: 120 mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM / 17 dBA

Whats better two 140m fans with 1000rpm or one 200mm fan with 700rpm ?

Otherwise the cases are very simiar besides that the Coolermaster has an eSata and a LED on off switch on top which the Dragonlord hasn't.

I think both of them are great cases with the 922 having 2 more switches but the Liang Li has better fabrication and nice inner red powder coating.

Do you guys know if the fans actually in these cases always run on full or are depending on laod or BIOS ? i read that for example the Storm has the fans only connected to the PSU so running on full.

Last edited by thomasg76; July 24, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old July 24, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there shoud be fan headers on the moutherbord. you should be able to control them in bios.

you can also buy a fan controller that fits in 5,5 bay. you can use fan splitters to run more than one fan of of moutherbord headers also or frum a molex conector also.
Old July 24, 2010, 06:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If you think the ripjaws will have a problem with heatsinks then don't even look at the tidents, those are some massive heat spreaders.

You don't really need a cooler like the NH-D14 go for some thing smaller like this: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
It can still pull off a decent overclock (I've had my 930 running @ 3.6 at only 65 degrees) and it will fit over all ram because you can move the fans up and down.
Old July 25, 2010, 07:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamula66 View Post
If you think the ripjaws will have a problem with heatsinks then don't even look at the tidents, those are some massive heat spreaders.

You don't really need a cooler like the NH-D14 go for some thing smaller like this: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
It can still pull off a decent overclock (I've had my 930 running @ 3.6 at only 65 degrees) and it will fit over all ram because you can move the fans up and down.
WHat ram are you running with that cooler ?
Old July 25, 2010, 10:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM (3x2GB) DDR3 same as I mentioned above
Old July 25, 2010, 11:53 PM
Rookie

I'd definitely go with the 17 930. Socket 13666 will upgrade to much faster CPUs (up to the 980x Extreme). As they get cheaper, in the near future, you'll just have to buy the CPU.

Case - I'd buy the HAF X instead. More room to work with, better cooling.
DD3 Triple Chanel - Think G. Skill PI series would be better (lower latencies CL6 or CL7).
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard Rev2.0: please avoid this board. Unless you're very lucky, this is the ultimate nightmare (always wondered why it was so cheap). Problems with RAM, RAID configurations impossible or extremely unstable...and on and on...
I would buy UD5 but I haven't tried it out yet (assuming it can't be any worst then the UD3, nothing could...). Best mid-range board I've worked with is definitely the ASUS P6X58D-E or P6X58D Premium (~same except Premium has more goodies).

I prefer Nvidia cards. Aside from the tests and benchmarks, they just display so much better in the real world. Best buy would be a 460 1GB (from MSI or Gigabyte if possible - both "hand-pick" the best components). If your budget allows it a 470 would be ideal, since you can gang it up with another one in the future and blow any game's high-resolution demands out of the water...

The XFX 5870 is an excellent card I just like Nvidia more...
Old July 26, 2010, 12:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwolfeCND View Post
I'd definitely go with the 17 930. Socket 13666 will upgrade to much faster CPUs (up to the 980x Extreme). As they get cheaper, in the near future, you'll just have to buy the CPU.

Case - I'd buy the HAF X instead. More room to work with, better cooling.
DD3 Triple Chanel - Think G. Skill PI series would be better (lower latencies CL6 or CL7).
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard Rev2.0: please avoid this board. Unless you're very lucky, this is the ultimate nightmare (always wondered why it was so cheap). Problems with RAM, RAID configurations impossible or extremely unstable...and on and on...
I would buy UD5 but I haven't tried it out yet (assuming it can't be any worst then the UD3, nothing could...). Best mid-range board I've worked with is definitely the ASUS P6X58D-E or P6X58D Premium (~same except Premium has more goodies).

I prefer Nvidia cards. Aside from the tests and benchmarks, they just display so much better in the real world. Best buy would be a 460 1GB (from MSI or Gigabyte if possible - both "hand-pick" the best components). If your budget allows it a 470 would be ideal, since you can gang it up with another one in the future and blow any game's high-resolution demands out of the water...

The XFX 5870 is an excellent card I just like Nvidia more...

HAF X : WOuld love it but 270$ for a case is a bit much for my taste.

GSkill Pi Series : I had a look at them too, but they have massive cooling rips and might it make nearly impossible to put a big CPU Cooler on.

Gigabyte UD-3R: I recon i read as many good as as many bad reviews of this board, but similar with the Asus ones. If you can beleive what you read it is one of the most sold boards. Do youhave personal expirience with it ?

Graphics card i am still looking at the 460 or 5870.
Old July 26, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Like it's been said before XFX = excellent warranty.
Old July 26, 2010, 11:17 PM
Rookie

@thomasg76

Assembled four systems with UD3-R's - they are so cheap that everybody was buying them - and had nothing but trouble with all of them...and am still having problems (loss of DDR configurations, problems with RAID, various BIOS issues, SLI and dedicated PhysX...and on ,and on...). Now I just refuse to assemble any system with that board...

As for so-called "reviews" you must remember they are generally extremely unreliable - in what pertains to real-world situations. First they are done (I hope) by experts, that have loads of components at their disposal, thus being able to fine-tune the build; then they are generally "quick-tests", most problems occur after a couple of days of use, and after massive installations of software; finally they are not always independent agents - many rely on manufacture's gifts or loans...

I'm not saying it's a bad board, just that it has "issues". From my experience, and from what I have had to read on numerous forums (to look for solutions), there are some huge problems in maintaining a stable 24/7 build with this board...Since I wouldn't buy it for me, that is the advise I give to others...

The HAF X so expensive???? I'm getting them at around 175$ CAD, from various places in Europe. The only problem I'm having is lack of supply...

Last edited by NorthwolfeCND; July 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM.