Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2010, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

+1 for the 930. I also agree with the 460. For memory I like Mushkin, a bit more than G Skill but great rep.and great oc'er as well as quite durable.

As for mobo I bought the Asus P6X58D-E. It has new usb and sata, works well and is easy to oc your components. Overall reviews are pretty good.

Good choice for gpu, I own XFX cards whenever possible and was disappointed when they dropped Nvidia.

I would recommend a Corsair psu, either HX or the new AX. Great rep and you don't want to skimp on one of the most important components in your system.

Good luck withthe build and enjoy the new system!
Old July 21, 2010, 01:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
A 930 will overclock better(higher and easier) than an 860. Hands down.
I have two 860s, one 920 D0 and one 930.. and the 860s are a (insert explicit word here) to overclock. The x58 platforum supports the newer 6-core processors, if upgrading down the road is of any issue.

6GB of triple channel will out perform 4GB dual channel in video encoding - that's pretty straight forward.

As for encoding, (I have been told) the Nvidia line is better for offsetting video rendering, if you're going that route.. however I haven't seen any exact figures or numbers - and I only have Nvidia GPUs at home (because of folding@home) so i'm just going on what other people / forums have told me.

Most people will recommend the WD blacks as a primary hard drive. I have a bunch of 7200.12's and they work fine.. but if you ask around, apparently they have a high defect / clicking rate.
If you have coin to spare (or, make up somewhere else.. say not needing a blu-ray) a 60-120 gig sandforce SSD is the best hard drive out there.. OCZ vertex2 / Gskill Phoenix / Corsair Force being the most popular. Load times for programs would be exceptionally faster.. couple that with a secondary 640G/1TB WD black for data, and you'd have a kick-ass performer.

Hmm just been sitting and reading a few comparissions between 920 and 870 and for a soingle GPU setup the 870 beat the 920 in most cases. unfortunately it wasn't a 930 but in most cases it came close to the 975 due to the better turbo mode.

Bugger now i am really not sure about 1156 and 1366. The big question is i guess in regards to ugrading. which architecture will survive. They say they can't do more than 4 cores on a 1156 platform due to the memory controller, but it seems th eprocessor is more advanced.
Old July 21, 2010, 01:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I have two 860s, one 920 D0 and one 930.. and the 860s are a (insert explicit word here) to overclock. The x58 platforum supports the newer 6-core processors, if upgrading down the road is of any issue.

6GB of triple channel will out perform 4GB dual channel in video encoding - that's pretty straight forward.

As for encoding, (I have been told) the Nvidia line is better for offsetting video rendering, if you're going that route.. however I haven't seen any exact figures or numbers - and I only have Nvidia GPUs at home (because of folding@home) so i'm just going on what other people / forums have told me.

Most people will recommend the WD blacks as a primary hard drive. I have a bunch of 7200.12's and they work fine.. but if you ask around, apparently they have a high defect / clicking rate.
If you have coin to spare (or, make up somewhere else.. say not needing a blu-ray) a 60-120 gig sandforce SSD is the best hard drive out there.. OCZ vertex2 / Gskill Phoenix / Corsair Force being the most popular. Load times for programs would be exceptionally faster.. couple that with a secondary 640G/1TB WD black for data, and you'd have a kick-ass performer.

Yeah would love some ssd's but can't afford them at the moment. Planning to get some down the track when they get cheaper and more sata3 speeds.

What does the D0 stand for on the 920? Is there a differencw between a 920 and 920 DO?
Old July 21, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

930 with Corsair PSU and ATI video card will be awesome! Since you want to do a lot of photo stick with ATI.Powerfull as Nvidia actually but NV never fix the damn color on their card, still to bright and glowing...

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 21, 2010, 08:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasg76 View Post
Hmm just been sitting and reading a few comparissions between 920 and 870 and for a soingle GPU setup the 870 beat the 920 in most cases. unfortunately it wasn't a 930 but in most cases it came close to the 975 due to the better turbo mode.

Bugger now i am really not sure about 1156 and 1366. The big question is i guess in regards to ugrading. which architecture will survive. They say they can't do more than 4 cores on a 1156 platform due to the memory controller, but it seems th eprocessor is more advanced.
We're talking about the 930 vs an 860, not an 870 ($600 processor). It's a simple decision, x58 platform has triple channel DDR + ability to upgrade to 6-core processors.. it also overclocks farther and easier (4.2Ghz for the i7 930 instead of 3.8Ghz for the i7 860) if it's relatively the same price, go with the x58.

D0 is the stepping code for the 920 processor, it's also the newest stepping code. Originally, it had a stepping code of C0. The difference? C0 overclocks to about 3.6Ghz, and D0 overclocks to 4.2Ghz. All 930s have a D0 stepping.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old July 21, 2010, 11:29 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasg76 View Post

The 870 is clocked higher at stock than the 920 is. If you intend to overclock, the 920 is a better choice.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
Rookie

The prices must have dropped.
Over here you pay for an 930 349 A$ and for an 870 359 A$ (875K is 459 A$).

Is seems though if you ant a good motherboard for a P55 you still pay the same price anyway.

930 seems the better option.

Now the only question is the case

Lian Li
Lian Li Lancool Dragon Lord PC-K62R1 or
CoolerMaster HAF922.

They are roughly the same price but Lian Li is nice quality has only 4 3.5" bays while the Cooler has 5 slots

Old July 21, 2010, 02:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:

Yeah a mate of mine said the same in regards to disks the cudas have a high fallout rate and recommended WD black or Samsung F3 Spinpoint.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlilmissmjx View Post
I would suggest going for a corsair psu instead, go with their AX,HX or TX series 750W psu. AX is their gold rated modular series, HX is their silver rated modular series and their TX series 80+ rated non modular series. I always recommend going modular due to easier cable management, but it's entirely up to you.

The G Skill F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM/4GBRM sets look great but if you have a wide heatsink then a low profile set would be better suited, like the F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ/4GBNQ.

I highly recommend getting an aftermarket heatsink, the cooler master hyper 212 plus performs excellent and is a fan favourite too

Good luck with you build
Will it make a big difference in memory bewteen the twpo above. The F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM has a timing of 8-8-8-24-2N, 1.6V and the F3-12800CL9T has 9-9-9-24, 1.5 V

Would the Latency of 8 compared to 9 make a big difference ? ANyone knows what the 2N stands for ?
Old July 21, 2010, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Unsure weather you've already made a choice for the TX750 but I can vouch for the XFX 750 which is like $20 more and has modular cables :)

btw where are you shoping for your parts? If your using Mwave you may want to look at this site: www.pccasegear.com it has what I found to be the cheapest stuff and a nice range of water cooling stuff (about the only Australian store that does :( )