6 gb ram 1600
1000w corsair hx ( is this too much?)
Asus p6x58d-e
Cooler master haf 933
Wd 1tb black
40' sony Full HD 200hz
Bluray drive

The issue now is which gpu to go with, either 480 gtx or 5970 HD
I heard there were issues with it (over heating, faulty cards, throtliing, microstuttering etc) did they get solved?
Is it worth the money and headache to go with the 5970? Or go with a 480gtx amd a better CPU
If I decide to go with the 5970 which brand should I get?

Thanks for any help
Old July 18, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

If you go with the 5970 get XFX. With dual lifetime warranty you're covered for any problems and if you decide to sell it the next owner is covered as well. I have the 5970 and love it. The thermal and power issues are what swayed me. For the 480 I would go with EVGA as they're rma support is excellent, and has lifetime warranty.
Make sure that you register your card as soon as you're home so your warranty is covered. I believe EVGA gives you 30 days after purchase for lifetime, otherwise it's one yr. I'm not sure how long you have for XFX, so be sure to register right away to getr your lifetime warranty.
Up 'til the 480 I had always been an Nvidia fan but as explained I went ATI. That said, you can't go wrong with Nvidia but consider extra fans for that case.
Most everything you're getting I'm using in my system, including the 1000w HX. There is a new series AX but I'm not sure of availability or price. If you ever decide to add a 2nd card you will need at least the 1000 watter.
Good luck with the build and enjoy the new system!
Old July 18, 2010, 08:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
If you go with the 5970 get XFX. With dual lifetime warranty you're covered for any problems and if you decide to sell it the next owner is covered as well. I have the 5970 and love it. The thermal and power issues are what swayed me. For the 480 I would go with EVGA as they're rma support is excellent, and has lifetime warranty.
Make sure that you register your card as soon as you're home so your warranty is covered. I believe EVGA gives you 30 days after purchase for lifetime, otherwise it's one yr. I'm not sure how long you have for XFX, so be sure to register right away to getr your lifetime warranty.
Up 'til the 480 I had always been an Nvidia fan but as explained I went ATI. That said, you can't go wrong with Nvidia but consider extra fans for that case.
Most everything you're getting I'm using in my system, including the 1000w HX. There is a new series AX but I'm not sure of availability or price. If you ever decide to add a 2nd card you will need at least the 1000 watter.
Good luck with the build and enjoy the new system!
Do you experince any throttling?
I was thinking of getting the 5970 xfx black, i heard its much more stable on OC
Old July 18, 2010, 08:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_storm View Post
Do you experince any throttling?
I was thinking of getting the 5970 xfx black, i heard its much more stable on OC
rumor has is that the 5970 no longer has throttling problems... honestly is a shmexy card and it'll rape once its OC'ed..
Old July 18, 2010, 09:40 AM

My System Specs

I would personally go w/ two Nvidia GTX460 1GB cards over both choices. They will be about 90% as fast as the HD5970 and about $200 cheaper.
Old July 18, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I think it's really going to boil down to the games you play as to which one is a better choice. And there's no way to tell which way the games of the future will lean. I'd certainly say you wont be disappointed with the performance of either card. Although, if you decide to go with a 480, grab the Zotac AMP edition. See Linus's video in this thread for why.
Old July 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
Rookie

Lets say price is not an issue fpr the most part, I am mostly afaraid of the fact that the 5970 is a dual gpu card, do i have to deal with it like a crossfire/sli setup? Or is it as simple as install and play? I am worrying too much about the 5970 Throttling, thats the only reason i consider the 480
Ome important thing is video quality, i watch bluray, which is better at video related stuff?
I am an open person to games, Aion, ff14, call of duty. hell even 2d games
Old July 18, 2010, 11:14 AM

My System Specs

The HD5970 should not throttle. I seriously don't know how people could even get their cards to that temp. The HD5970 runs very cool especially for a dual GPU card. I don't think mine barely broke 80C when it was air cooled.
Old July 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I would personally go w/ two Nvidia GTX460 1GB cards over both choices. They will be about 90% as fast as the HD5970 and about $200 cheaper.
same here. since your mobo can do it. better performance than a 480. very close to 1 5970. it wont lose as much value soon :)
Old July 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
same here. since your mobo can do it. better performance than a 480. very close to 1 5970. it wont lose as much value soon :)
I was planning to upgrade the 480 or 5970 to sli or Crossfire down the road thats why I dont want a lower dual card setup now

Where should I buy this from?