Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
Allstar

If bickering is stupid then stop doing it. I know what I'm talking about and I don't care about benchmark scores. We are discussing games on a card that serves a minor segment of the market. So let's keep it cool, which is something neither you nor your PCs can do.

The 5970 came out 9 months ago and games in 2009 didn't need its power so they down clocked the GPUs to save energy and reduce heat and noise. So unless your daddy's paying the electricity and has no idea where the upserge is coming from, it matters. Hot air flowing from your PC still has to go somewhere and that will probably be close to where you are sitting. That and the extra load on your airconditioning and the size of your room matters too. Spending hard-earned money on two opposing effects is tragic. I have other issues with the way the fermi works and I wrote most of it on this thread. Is this a gamer's thread or a benchmarker's btw?

Even now the games out don't require the 5970 to be overclocked that much. Just to know there is room for overclocking makes it better if you have the cooling and noise cancelling solution, which are minor issues compared to the 480. If ATI can make something better with less, then even Nvidia knows it did a crappy job with the Fermi 100.

Let's be really honest please. How many of you 480 SLI users actually complimented his 480 SLI with a 1,200$ 2560x1600, or a 990$ 3x1920x1200 display?

Unless you can't afford the whole package at one purchase, the only cards worth getting right now are either the 460 with 1920x1080 or the 5870 with a 1920x1200 display.

Most of you guys are nice and I did enjoy most of the time spent reading your thoughts. Thanks
Old August 1, 2010, 11:03 PM
Rookie

Its beutiful seeing fanboys go at each other lol.. I can see every one trying to defend his purchase, both ATI and nvidia guys

There is no need to try and justify your purchases to each other to feel better about it

To be honest features appealed to me more than performance (cuda, driver support etc), heat and power never mattered, you see things work different in Dubai where i am going to use it
Old August 2, 2010, 08:45 AM
MVP

I bought one of those 2560x1600 monitors.

The 480's slid do produce a fair amount of heat but even in a basement room,with 2 computers in it, with no windows, with a stand up freezer, with 3 bell expressvu stb's in the same room. Room temp has never exceeded 29c, with an outside temp of 34c.

Heck the 30" monitor is producing 40c surface temp at the top of the monitor.

480 or 5970 whatever makes you happy....is all that matters

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old August 2, 2010, 01:11 PM
Rookie

all the heat ranting has me concerned now lol.. If the heat annoys me IF..
Should I consider liquid cooling?
HEXUS.net - Preview :: CoolIT OMNI A.L.C. meets NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 : Page - 1/9 this looks good but a bit pricey to just consider on a whim
Old August 2, 2010, 01:26 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_storm View Post
all the heat ranting has me concerned now lol.. If the heat annoys me IF..
Should I consider liquid cooling?
HEXUS.net - Preview :: CoolIT OMNI A.L.C. meets NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 : Page - 1/9 this looks good but a bit pricey to just consider on a whim
I wouldn't suggest one of these. $200 is just too much money for something like that.
Old August 2, 2010, 04:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The heat really isn't as bad as some people like to say it is.
I run everything I have at 1920x1200, I have never seen my cards go over 75C on AIR cooling STOCK coolers.
So in my case my cards are just as cool running as my roomies 5870's on xfire. Luay likes to keep making snide little comments "keep it cool, which is something neither you nor your pcs can do"... Seriously man? It's a discussion about two cards. The 5970 is proven crap again and again, I'm glad you've had luck with yours, but the 5870's AND the gtx480s are better cards than the 5970's. That is all I was getting at.

The ati's run a touch cooler, but in a well made case the 480s run just as cool, actually more so on idle weirdly enough, I don't know what's up with that. Power consumption is nothing compared to an AC unit, and really has never been a though on most peoples minds when they make a gaming PC. Those thoughts crop up when it comes to choosing a HTPC set up usually.

I'm sorry that you have fallen for the anti-nvidia hype Luay, but in the end they both make good cards. You want top of the line, top performing SINGLE GPU card? Get the 480(which OP already did). You want less power consumption and a little cooler running card, get the 5870 and still have great performance, maybe not top level, but still great!
Old August 2, 2010, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
The heat really isn't as bad as some people like to say it is.
I run everything I have at 1920x1200, I have never seen my cards go over 75C on AIR cooling STOCK coolers.
So in my case my cards are just as cool running as my roomies 5870's on xfire. Luay likes to keep making snide little comments "keep it cool, which is something neither you nor your pcs can do"... Seriously man? It's a discussion about two cards. The 5970 is proven crap again and again, I'm glad you've had luck with yours, but the 5870's AND the gtx480s are better cards than the 5970's. That is all I was getting at.

The ati's run a touch cooler, but in a well made case the 480s run just as cool, actually more so on idle weirdly enough, I don't know what's up with that. Power consumption is nothing compared to an AC unit, and really has never been a though on most peoples minds when they make a gaming PC. Those thoughts crop up when it comes to choosing a HTPC set up usually.

I'm sorry that you have fallen for the anti-nvidia hype Luay, but in the end they both make good cards. You want top of the line, top performing SINGLE GPU card? Get the 480(which OP already did). You want less power consumption and a little cooler running card, get the 5870 and still have great performance, maybe not top level, but still great!
I ordered the HAF922 not sure if that is good enough but I plan to add 3 intake fans, 120 x 2 and 140
Old August 2, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^That should be more than adequate....enjoy your new Card ;)

Old August 4, 2010, 12:07 PM
Rookie

So my parts arrived and I am building the PC, the PSU is bottom mounted, should the fan face up or down?
Old August 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

Face it down so it can draw up the fresh air from the bottom and out of the back of it, unless u got it sitting on carpet, then you would have it facing upwards.