Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
2) If you have the money, always go for the cool, elegant, quite and power-efficient high-end single card solution. Too many people here recommend SLI or crossfire. If computers had emotions they would be crying reading these comments. If you install one card you will get 100% performance. If you install two you won't get 200% performance.
Do your homework....Fermi Sli can be almost 80 - 90% scaling in most games.....thats close to double the FPS......Fermi fails (at this point) with Tri Sli / Quad Sli (look for improvements with future Drivers).
Not sure about XFScaling, but someone had some graphs up here awhile ago in which XF Scaling still has a ways to go to catch-up to Sli.
Obviously someone whom has misread and never tried a multi - GPU config. Thiers a reason why higher end Boards are available with as many as 3 - 4 PCI-E Slots....my Rig would "cry" with your philosophy ;)

As for 5970 vs 480.....at this point the argument is extremely biased both ways...personally I've been extremely happy with my 480's...no regrets at all and Im sure it goes the same for folks with 5970's

Anyhow...here's a few satisfied Sli 480 users..

Last edited by rjbarker; July 31, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old July 31, 2010, 03:06 PM
Allstar

I know what your two little friends can do and we are not really disagreeing on anything! All the people on the list basically spent a ton of money on generating noise and heat and then spent another ton to water-cool it and quite it down (or just used ear plugs)! And 80-90% is still less than 100%, which is the performance you get with one card. One that performs better, is more quite, generates less heat, is more efficient and more expensive.

Have you read what the fire something dude wants to do? We are not all the same users here. He wants to watch Blue-ray movies for God's sake. He probably wants to have other people with him where he watches movies. He does not MIND playing games. Do you realize what you are getting him into with your 480 SLI?

Last edited by Luay79; July 31, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
I know what your two little friends can do and we are not really disagreeing on anything! All the people on the list basically spent a ton of money on generating noise and heat and then spent another ton to water-cool it and quite it down (or just used ear plugs)! And 80-90% is still less than 100%, which is the performance you get with one card. One that performs better, is more quite, generates less heat, is more efficient and more expensive.

Have you read what the fire something dude wants to do? We are not all the same users here. He wants to watch Blue-ray movies for God's sake. He probably wants to have other people with him where he watches movies. He does not MIND playing games. Do you realize what you are getting him into with your 480 SLI?
I already got the 480 GTX, I rather go with Nvidia and a single GPU chip, I heard 5970 need crossfire drivers etc and I am not into that for now
I went with the EVGA 480, I got a great deal on it at NCIX, I won't be doing a lot of OCing so heat shouldn't be an issue
Old July 31, 2010, 11:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Congrats Firestorm........and you do have the option to Sli that "bad boy" in the future if the need is there ;).....You won't be disappointed...crank up that AA / AF ;)

Luay.....chill..... ;)

Old August 1, 2010, 12:54 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^ Congrats Firestorm........and you do have the option to Sli that "bad boy" in the future if the need is there ;).....You won't be disappointed...crank up that AA / AF ;)

Luay.....chill..... ;)
Lol. Something a gtx 480 can't do

I'm cool, and entitled to disagree. I wasn't recommending either cards for a 1080P display. My recommendation was a 5870 now or waiting till the end of summer for new high-end products.
Old August 1, 2010, 03:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Lol. Something a gtx 480 can't do

I'm cool, and entitled to disagree. I wasn't recommending either cards for a 1080P display. My recommendation was a 5870 now or waiting till the end of summer for new high-end products.
to be honest I got tired of the waiting game, wait a few months for ATi and then oh wait Nvidia releases in a few months after, wait another few months and guess what ATI releases in a few months
I learned something, if I need it I just get it as long as its not out dated next week
Old August 1, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ +1 ......playing the "waiting game" can be frustrating and generally within 3 months of the launch of a new GPU their is rumors of newer n better......enjoy your new Card !

Yes....Luay is correct, the 480's run (on average) 10C warmer than the previous GTX 280's.....but with innovative Case selection and Fans, the temps can be controlled / regulated....

Old August 1, 2010, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Luay really doesn't have much clues on what they are talking about.
The 5970's are weak cards at best, when you see the 480's crawling up right behind them in single card solutions, and then SLI blows them out of the water.

Heat has never been an issue for anyone willing to drop 500 bucks on a video card, neither has sound. The 480 is the better performing card, so what if it is a little warm, whoop-de-do. At least it is rock stable compared to all the complaints I hear about the 5970 breaking down and having driver issues in the latest games until ATI gets off their ass and fixes them.

All this bickering is stupid, ATI single chip solutions are good for the $$'s, and Nvidia single chip solutions are also good for the $$ > performance. Read your benchmarks, find an EVGA/Asus supplier and buy the card that appeals to YOU.

Congrats on your new 480 man, you'll love it, these things chew up and spit out whatever you throw at them!
Old August 1, 2010, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
You do realize that the 5970 is two downclocked 5870's in xfire on one card? That when you put two 5870's in xfire in a proper system, they out perform it right?

The 5970 is over-priced crap.
Old August 1, 2010, 01:03 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
Luay really doesn't have much clues on what they are talking about.
The 5970's are weak cards at best, when you see the 480's crawling up right behind them in single card solutions, and then SLI blows them out of the water.

Heat has never been an issue for anyone willing to drop 500 bucks on a video card, neither has sound. The 480 is the better performing card, so what if it is a little warm, whoop-de-do. At least it is rock stable compared to all the complaints I hear about the 5970 breaking down and having driver issues in the latest games until ATI gets off their ass and fixes them.
HD 5970s are still a faster card than a single GTX480 at games that do not use tessellation. It is still 25-40% faster in most cases.