Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2010, 10:14 AM
Top Prospect

Default My new build

After alot of reading I ended up with these parts. Plus a couple changes at memory express when they didn't have the stock the site said they did.

Cooler Master HAF X - Going to change the red front fan to blue and add another top fan
Intel Core i7 930
Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600mhz triple channel kit
Patriot Inferno 100gig SSD
Reuse my storage drives from my last computer
Corsair HX 1000 watt PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64bit with free 500 gig WD caviar green
Asus P6X58D-E - was going for the premium but ended up with this which sounds better anyways.
Thermalright Venomous X without the fan
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X since my 4870 is damaged from my water leak and I don't need anything bigger and don't want to spend the extra cash.

Will try and take some pictures and post then later of everything plus parts of the build. Might not be right away since I'm busy with work. Feel free to let me know if I should change anything within my return period.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

why the HX1000 watt PSU? that's waaay overkill, especially since you're just getting a 5770. You might as well drop down to like a 750W or maybe even 650W PSU and upgrade the 5770 to a 5850 instead.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

I would consider looking at the Intel 80 gb SSD. The resident guru of SSDs feels this is one of the best drives for an OS. Also, I'm not sure about the memory. Just browsing I found Mushkin Redlines for $200 on sale, regular price shows 220 -230. Just my humble opinion, as everything suggested may reflect preferences in manufacturers, but I'm not familiar with Patriot SSDs. Should be a good unit when done. Good luck and enjoy!
Old July 6, 2010, 11:34 AM
Rookie

this is a very nice SSD

NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive - SSDSA2MH080G2C1 In Canada.

Old July 6, 2010, 11:45 AM
Top Prospect

HX 1000 was on sale and I'll probably be looking to xfire in the future with higher end cards. The 5770 will do me until I get a new monitor and feel like spending the extra cash. By the time I get a new monitor than there will be bigger and better cards out.

I looked at the intel but the patriot seemed better. I pmed the resident guru and didn't get a reply yet and the sale for the patriot was done yesterday. The patriot is very similar to the Phoenix which was just reviewed.

As for memory, I was just going with what memory express had at the time. I have no experience with mushkins or corsairs. I've only have patriot ram so far. The mushkins that memory express has aren't that good or too expensive and I managed to price match those corsairs down to 180 if I remember right.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

The intel would end up being cheaper by about $50 compared to the inferno. All the reviews I have read rated the inferno better and memory express had it on a sale that was alot better than anyone else had it at.