Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Prepping for a new build. Do I switch to Intel? Advice needed.

I'm finally happy with my 'multimedia/living room gaming' system. (Listed in specs) I'm now looking around at what I want in my new gaming system. I'm not in a rush, and probably won't order for another 2-3 months, and budget isn't too much of an issue as I'll probably have about $2k to put in to it. I'm aware the market fluctuates greatly in the span of a few months, so I take everything said with a grain of salt; but I'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve on my homework.

Basically I'm trying to decide if I should be building on AMD's 6-core processors since they're so cheap, or if I should be going with something along the lines of an Intel i7 860. The Intel's seem to outperform AMD at every turn, but they have a lot of strikes against them. (Constant socket changes, more expensive platform, Intel's immoral business practices, etc.)

So I'm stuck. I've been running solid AMD for as long as I can remember, so I really don't have enough Intel experience to make an educated decision personally. I've been reading LOTS of material online comparing the products, but it's impossible to get an unbiased opinion it seems. The CPU 'fanboys' are worse than the GPU ones.

I guess I'm just trying to decide between 'price/longevity of the chipset' and 'performance peak'. I know the i7's have a lot of OC headroom as well, which is something I'll be doing for sure. Although I'm more a casual OC'r and won't push the limits of extreme. I'd also be interested in knowing the 'real world' difference in performance. Meaning, would I even notice the difference in day to day usage? Certainly the numbers speak for Intel, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a landslide for that team, as a 1 second difference in zip times, or whatever the tests are, doesn't much matter to me.

Opinions?
Old July 5, 2010, 02:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can scratch "frequent socket changes" from your pro AMD list.... AM3 is probably on it's last legs and the next AMD platform will be a completely different socket.

I haven't had any problems with my 1090t rig, but one of the things that's irritating me to no end is the lack of SSD trim support from any AHCI drivers other than those on intel chipsets and/or the stock M$ ones. The stock M$ ones work, but since they're generic drivers you have to wonder how much of a performance penalty there is from not being able to run drivers tailored for the specific chipset. This is an ongoing issue (and again... it's not just AMD chipsets, it's all non-intel chipsets) that none of the manufacturers seem to want to even recognise let alone address.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
You can scratch "frequent socket changes" from your pro AMD list.... AM3 is probably on it's last legs and the next AMD platform will be a completely different socket.
I was thinking about that as well. It's certainly food for thought.

As for the SSD issue; I'm completely new to the SSD market. I'll be picking one up in the new build I'm sure. But any issues they do or don't have is alien territory for me. I'll have to open that can of worms closer to build date.
Old July 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, you could always sell the Phenom X2 you have right now for ~ 80-100 bucks and put that money toward a 1055T. Then use that ~2K on something else in life...

-Plato
Old July 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wait for the LGA 1155 socket to be released if you can, sandy bridge should be a very good chip.
-Corsair H-50 + 2x Cooler Master R4
-Asus RoG Rampage III Extreme
-6GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
-2x EVGA GTX 295+ Quad SLI
-Corsair HX-1000
-WD 160GB Raptor 10000RPM
-WD 1000GB Black 7200RPM

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1249140.png
Old July 5, 2010, 02:59 PM
Banned
F@H

being able to drop a hexa core in there? priceless. spending cash on intel...bad move. good move if you need the difference.
Old July 5, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are going for a gaming rig the order of importance for me would be GPU > CPU > MOBO > PSU > RAM
Old July 5, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah... I think I'm going to be struggling with this decision right up until purchase. I guess we'll have to see what the market holds then.