Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2010, 06:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default New Build

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Mostly internet and gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Don't really have a budget.. probably under $2k

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Intel and ati i guess.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Not a whole lot other than keyboard, mouse, dvd and monitor. Also have some storage drives.
Might re use my 4870 for now if it still works after the water leak.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Always reading

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Overclocking for sure.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Right now.

9. What resolution do you use?
Not too high with an older 19inch LCD. Larger monitor in the future though.

Ok so my water cooling setup leaked and fried my asus maximus extreme. That's the reason for the new build. I decided to go all out and not just replace the motherboard.
So here is what i have figured out somewhat without prices or links.

Corsair HX 1000 PSU or 850 depending on price. Option to xfire or sli in the future would be nice.

intel i7 930 cpu

patriot inferno SSD 100gig for operating drive.

cooling either a corsair h50 or venomous x-rt

windows 7 pro 64 bit or ultimate

memory i'm not sure. please advise.

motherboard - undecided. looking at the rampage III extreme since i liked my maximus extreme. or a p6td deluxe or p6x58d premium. Leaning towards asus although i've read evga is really good also.

vid card - I'll probably stick with my 4870 for now since i'm not too demanding as long as it still works. otherwise i'll be looking the the 58xx series i think. probably upgrade in the future from the 4870 anyways but there is always something better coming out right.

Case I'm not sure of yet. I like the lian li x900 or x1000. prefer something with a window. haf x is too blocky for me, although i like the features. I realize case is personal preference but some ideas or tips wouldn't hurt. I want the option to water cool in the futre again also.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old July 4, 2010, 06:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

My opinion is that the venomous X is the better of those two coolers. Memory doesn't really hatter just aim for a good brand like G Skill and get 6gb at 1600 mhz. Motherboard if you like asus then go with the rampage III extreme of if your willing to try it the EVGA X58 FTW3 loooks awsome. For you budjet you can probably happily include a 5870 in there. For the case if you're interested in water cooling then there really isn't anything better then the HAF X or 932 but if you don't like it you don't like it
Old July 4, 2010, 06:55 PM
Top Prospect

I guess I'm not limited to those 2 coolers but just read that the venomous x is pretty good even if it's a bit expensive.
I've been using the patriot ram lately and find it to be ok. Is it decent enough or should I go with a gskill, corsair and mushkin. I am figuring on 6gb hence the new windows 7 64 bit instead of vista 32bit.
My only issue with the rampage III extreme is that it might be more than I need and it's not cheap.
Is the patriot ssd a good choice? I see the gskill phoenix pro was just reviewed pretty good.

Last edited by timbruun; July 4, 2010 at 07:30 PM.