Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 04:28 AM
Rookie

Sorry to double post...

I've sped read a few reviews, comparisons and purchase reviews on newegg, and I think I'm going to stick with Intel. The fanboy in me screams yes, my wallet screams no, but for a little extra, I'll be getting the more powerful of the two it seems.

Either than that, does it look like everything will work just fine? Being a first time buyer, I don't know... do these things come with all necessary wires and fans? If I don't plan on overclocking right away, can I save a CPU Cooler purchase for next month?

Thanks a lot for the help thus far gents, you have definitely offered me the best advice of the multiple locations I've visited. Will surely be sticking around here.
Old June 30, 2010, 04:39 AM
HaDeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionFily View Post
Wow, dangtx, just... wow. Didn't expect a full post! Thanks! Going to look into those AMD's.

Here's the argument I keep hearing though;

AMD's don't ALWAYS offer the same power Intel does, but that they truly are future proof systems. As in, where as Intel is already introducing a new socket type this year, AMD backs their products for ages, so according to this statement, I can upgrade the CPU in a year or 2 without suffering incompatibilities.

Doe this statement hold truth?

Also, if I were to jump ships and go AMD now, would all my other parts still be compatible?

It holds truth for a while I guess.. at some point AMD will change their socket. I've been gaming with AMD for year and never had issues. They really aren't that much slower when gaming and the price point is pretty decent. Just make sure you get a black edition for future OCing if you choose AMD.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:13 AM
Top Prospect

Yes AMD do tend to stick to a certain socket for a while longer then Intel does I do think that if you go with the AMD you will be happy just for gaming your not really going to see a whole lot of difference between the X6 and the 930 and if you get the black edition of the X6 the core multiplier is unlocked so overclocking is easy to do but if you are an Intel fanboy no AMD is ever gonna make you happy so go with what makes you happy.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

People cannot predict the future of technology. If they could, they would be rich and we'd never hear from them again. No one can tell what socket will be used again, and which will be put out to pasture.. until the tech news is "leaked" to the general population.

Saying that, an Intel 930 will out perform a x6 1055T in every aspect. Every review i've read, including the HWC review has pointed to this conclusion.

Moving forward, everyone here has basically posted what needed to be posted - all excellent advice. I'd probably drop the PSU to a more-affordable 700W OCZ ModXStream Pro - which was on sale at NCIX for $35 (I picked one up) if you're only planning on one video card.
But honestly, if you're spending $110 on the 750W, you might as well spend the extra $15 now and get the 850W, so you could SLI in the future (if you wanted to go the dual video card route)
And the TX line isn't modular - just a note.. 'cause you're going to have a lot of cables coming out that PSU.

I would recommend getting the CM 212+ now, instead of later.. just cause it's a pain in the butt to replace down the road. It's $22 pricematched.

If you wanted to save some money, G.Skill has some cost-effective DDR3 6GB set for $155.
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ In Canada.
The corsiar ram is superior - it's timings are lower.. however I don't like mail-in rebates and the real-world difference is not noticeable.

Have fun!

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 30, 2010, 06:01 AM
Rookie

Thank you too, Rison. Great advice (as well as with everyone else.)

Can you answer that last question though... does the pruchases come with all necessary fans and wires? And I will be buying the CPU Cooler along with it all.

EDIT:

Also, how does this look then? CPU Cooler not included, will be buying from Canada Computers (cheaper).

Last edited by OnionFily; June 30, 2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old June 30, 2010, 06:52 AM
Top Prospect

Yes you should have all the stuff you need to get everything up and running the haf 922 comes with 3 fans and with the option to add 2 more if you want and you are getting an Intel cpu cooler with the 930 its boxed together when you buy a better cpu cooler some may and may not come with a fan.
Old June 30, 2010, 08:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am not familiar with where ever you are purchasing from, but it wouldn't make much sense shipping-wise to purchase from multiple vendors.. unless you get free shipping at everywhere you purchase from.
Also, that ram is $155 at NCIX, if you can price match it from the $177 you had it at.

Can you pricematch what you're purchasing? if not, I would recommend NCIX - they can price match any other (assuming you're in Canada) canadian retailer. And if you're buying from NCIX, you may want to wait until Thursday night, when their weekly specials come out. To each his own though.. I just go wherever it is cheaper and available.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 30, 2010, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Customer Reviews Of G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK

Would those sticks be good too, save a few extra bucks? Looking at you Rison lol.