LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2010, 11:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Upgrade advice: Mushkin Frostbyte vs. WD SiliconEdge Blue 64GB

Topic says it all. Here are the links:

Mushkin Frostbyte 4GB Memory

WD SiliconEdge Blue 64GB SSD

I'm currently using some crappy OCZ Gold DDR3-1333 sticks, running at 9-9-9-20. So I'm just wondering which would be a wiser purchase.
Old June 27, 2010, 11:31 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Um. One's a hard drive.... and the other, Isn't?
Old June 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you looking for better RAM i'd go with the other choice that is RAM, unless im looking at the wrong thing..
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old June 27, 2010, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lol, sorry. I probably should've re-worded my inquiry. Right now I was debating either 1) upgrading my RAM, or 2) getting an SSD instead. What I was wondering is which would be "wiser" to do. I'm not exactly complaining with my current setup right now in terms of boot-time and application loading, but it would be nice to shave a few seconds off of it. And I'm not really sure how much of a boost my rig would get from getting the faster memory, but I'm sure something gets quicker/better.

Pretty much, my question is: Which would be a better purchase - upgrading the memory to DDR3-1600 CL6 ones, or just getting an SSD instead with the money?
Old June 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SSD for sure, you won't notice much if any at all improvement by upgrading your rams.
Old June 27, 2010, 11:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally i think you'll get a more noticeable difference if you upgraded your hard drive to an ssd. I did this about a month ago and man can i ever see the speed increase (aka lower boot-time and application loading time). Ram you wouldnt see much at all as your bottleneck for speed right now is that 320GB hard drive (assuming you're using it for your os). I did the exact same upgrade, 320GB hhd that is about 3-4 years old to the intel 80GB and it was well worth the upgrade cost. I'd recommend that over that WD one you're looking at.
Old June 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

+1 to all that's been said

That WD drive is a JMF612 controller based drive (or so I have heard).
Decent kit. Not great. But decent for the price.

The Kingston SSDNow V Gen 2 (SNV425) is a JM618 based one (based off the 612 but has been tweaked by JMicron and built by Toshiba). Its only ten bucks more.

If you have patience and can wait for another Sale the 60GB OCZ Vertex for 160'ish is also a good drive.

The Kingston SSDNow V+ Gen 2 (SNVP325) is also a better drive. Its only 30 bucks more then the WD.

BUT the best bang for your buck drive out there (and arguably still one of hte best SSDs period) is the Intel X25-M gen 2. If you can afford the extra hundred bucks...its money well spent.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 27, 2010, 12:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm... Well, I guess I could wait. Unfortunately, that means falling victim to HST too :( I was browsing through some SSD's though, and found this OCZ Vertex 96GB. How is it?
Old June 27, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

No first hand experience with the odd ball'er. From what I know about Indilinx drives I would say its performance is going to fall in between that of the 60GB version and the 120 version. Thats only a guess however. But even if it somehow outperforms the 120 version (doubtful)....get the Intel X25M gen 2. For most peoples needs it is the best investment you can make on upgrading your system. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 27, 2010, 04:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So... something like this? Link