Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2010, 03:03 AM
Rookie

Default Worth waiting, instead of buying now?

Hello, i want to buy a new computer for about 1800 US dollars.
But atm and in the next 3 months, there isnt any new good games coming out.

So i was wondering, if i should wait about 3-4 months with my buy, since there is always something new on the market?

Will i get a way better computer, if i wait 3-4 months, instead of now.
That is the question:)

Thanks for time
Old June 27, 2010, 04:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well it sort of cuts both ways i think, seeing as there is always something new on the market you have to remember that this does not mean that things that are 6 months old are not good anymore

I think the best thing you can do is buy a rig that suites all your current needs and one that will probably be good to handle anything you want to throw at it for the next few years

I'm terrible at making my mind up as well and took ages to decide but i figured this was the best way to go and I'm very happy with what i chose as nothing i throw at my rig slows it down (im mostly a gamer)

Any mid range to top end system will be a decent buy as the differences between a "good" mid range and a top end rig arent always that big (give or take a few seconds of overhead or a few FPS)

If you're a hardcore overclocker then you should buy what you need to acomplish a good overclock, otherwise buy what will suite your needs for the best possible price and you will be happy in the end

Good luck
Old June 27, 2010, 06:16 AM
Rookie

Ofcourse theres always something new and better coming out, but if your building a gaming rig
and your current system is working fine for you right now why not wait a little bit.

If you plan to go with an Intel build, Runor has it that price cuts are coming in a couple months
and you'll be able to get a i7 950 for about $300. So basically you'll get a i7 950 for the price of a 930 right now, in my mind thats worth the wait - especially if you are still content with your current rig.

My thoughts anyways, you be the judge of whats best for you.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Intel is cutting some of their new chips (in price) in a month or so. Starcraft 2 comes out July 27th, so you're WRONG in saying that no good games are coming out xD.

I've had my i7 system for about a year and I feel that nothing really beats it after this amount of time. Yes, the i7 980X is truly a monstrous CPU, but nothing uses that much power anyways. The X6 Thubans are good, but can barely match (in highly threaded applications) any Core i7's.

If anyone is waiting for anything, it's X68 and Haswell.
-Corsair H-50 + 2x Cooler Master R4
-Asus RoG Rampage III Extreme
-6GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
-2x EVGA GTX 295+ Quad SLI
-Corsair HX-1000
-WD 160GB Raptor 10000RPM
-WD 1000GB Black 7200RPM

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1249140.png
Old June 28, 2010, 03:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

If you aren't limited by your system right now, you should wait.

Unfortunately there is not much coming out either. The only thing I would hold out for is next gen graphics cards, and there is NOTHING coming.

It's all very lethargic and unexciting.
Old June 28, 2010, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Thought this thread was dead hehe :)

I have gained a new computer, and had preordered starcraft 2 several months ago

But i think i speak from ous all : Diablo 3?