Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2010, 05:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default How does this look?

Hey guys, first post on here - figured this would make a good first post.

I'll post my build here, I had some help with a local sales men from a great computer store here in Winnipeg (Memory Express) who actually recommended I come here to check out some reviews on some of the suggestions he made.

I'd like to consider myself fairly adequate with computers, but i'm no guru that's for sure.

Build purpose
- Gaming
- Eyefinity (when applicable)
- "Medium" overclocking (nothing too extreme)
- Multi tasking / HD movies / Surfing

Budget & What I already have
Between $1400 - $1700, i'll go over if I deem necessary.

I'll be salvaging a few things from my current pc (DVD drive, harddrives and my SSD), and already have my G5 mouse and keyboard,speakers as well as 2 23" Samsung 2343 monitors. I will be buying a 3rd monitor (with active displayport adapter) but since this model is discontinued, i'm going to see if samsungs replacement model will look as near similar as possible.

The Build

Cooler Master HAF 932
- It's, a beast of a case. I never realized until I saw it at the store. I'm okay with that, as it will fit where I need it to and be out of sight. From what i've read it has great airflow, and i'm not too too terribly concerned about noise. Seems to be a good "bang for buck" performance case.

Intel Core i7 920
- Seems to be a great processor with lots of room to OC with safely on air.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
- This is one of the main reasons I went to go talk to someone at the store, as I was confused if I should be going 1366 or 1156. Came to decide on this board after he explained how this was more "future proof" then 1156 because of sata6/USB3. This board has more then what I need, and from what i've read OC's well and fairly "noob proof" (I am new with OCing)

Patriot Extreme Viper II DDR3 ram (6gb 3x2gb)
- Wasn't really to sure on what to get for ram, with my last build I went with corsair and loved it, was explained that right now corsair is slightly overpriced for what they deliver and he recommended me this. Haven't read much on it, but this seems to be a smart move.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
- This CPU cooler was recommended to me as a "value" cpu cooler that could get me to 3.6ghz with the 920 , but shouldn't go any higher then this. The price is right, and I actually think I may pay abit more to get a higher end one so I can get up to (hopfully) 4.0ghz stable. I forget the other one that was mentioned to upgrade to instead if I chose to

Corsair HX 750W PS
- Not much to say about this, the salesmen recommended this. Assured me it would be enough to OC my system, as well as use Crossfire in the future if I decide to.

Asus Radeon HD 5870
- Would love to get a XFX version of the 5870, but since they are nearly impossible to get, this seems to do just fine. Saw the benchmarks, read some reviews as well as Asus having a good warranty. Seems like the right move, and if I need to I can crossfire another one in the future.

Oh, total price for all above at the store was $1762.72 (after MB pst/gst taxes) or $1899.37 if I want the stores 2 year warranty.

I know Memory Express will pricematch, salesmen even told me himself. Ran everything through shopbot.ca and verified part #'s and it seems I can get things priced down to $1549.39 after taxes. $213 savings! (Looks like i'll upgrade that CPU cooler after all! ;))

Anyway, sorry for the really long post, but any opinions, suggestions or thoughts would be great!

Thanks,

Shay
Old June 26, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Monitor wise, you could get a model that has display port on it to save on the adapter fee.

Make sure you register for the ASUS warranty...

Technically in the computer world, there is nothing called "futureproof". The socket 1366 is on its way out according to various sources next year. There are many rumors about the AM3 socket to support the next gen Bulldozer chips from AMD.

-Plato
Old June 26, 2010, 07:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i would go for the new AMD Hexacores and their newest chipset... they make an amazing combo that is hard to argue with
Old June 26, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Then maybe spend the cash saved on Crossfired 5870 or SLi 480 :)

-Plato
Old June 26, 2010, 08:18 AM
Banned
F@H

+1 for amd. dont spend a good bit of your budget on cpu+mobo
put the difference towards gpu as mentioned
Old June 26, 2010, 08:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Get a 930 instead of a 920 D0. It's cheaper bought new, and higher base multiplier for overclocking.

If you're running with the CM Hyper 212+, grab a second (or two new alternate matched) fans for it.. push/pull works very well. from there, the Nocuta U12 or D14 are two excellent coolers. The D14 being the bigger, and crazier of the two. I don't own any of the two, and am basing that recommendation off of the reviews i've read on them.
The Corsair H50 sealed watercooling unit is also good - I have three of them. They have similar performance to other high-end air coolers.
As for fans, the Nocuta P12's are good, silent fans.. but expensive. The Scythe SFLEX series fans are good fans, with good static pressure for heatsinks. SFF21E being the most popular, and widely sold out.

If you like the HAF 932, you may want to look at the new HAF X. Not my cup of tea - but extremely popular none-the-less.

I would recommend the Gskill Trident ram.
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD Trident PC3-16000 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-2000 CL9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit - F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD In Canada.
Base clock of 2000, instead of 1600 - so if you're overclocking, you can either have a higher memory clock, or "tighten" (lower) the timings. Beware though, depending on your heatsink choice and fan setup, the height of the ramsinks could be a problem with the UD3R.

Good luck.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

If you really want the XFX 5870, have the store order it. It may take it bit for it to come in, but I prefer the dbl lifetime warranty and did so for my gpu. It took 2 1/2 wks for mine but haven't regretted it. I would consider looking into Mushkin memory as well, it may be a bit cheaper, though it may be pretty close, and I believe most savy enthusiasts that I've encountered have preferred Mushkin over Patriot. I like the psu choice, for that matter I like the rest of the setup.
Old June 26, 2010, 02:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Are you guys sure about going for a AMD chip rather then Intel? I've been googling benchmarks of the i7 vs AMD Phenom II x6 and it doesn't seem to be on par. Or, are you suggesting this AM3 setup incase AMD makes a new processor for AM3?

And as much as i'd love to get a 2nd 5870, I cringe abit putting $900 on GPU's lol, i'd much prefer buy a 2nd one at a later time if its needed.
Old June 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
Banned
F@H

intel cpu+good mobo=expensive.
unles you have a bigger budget, i wouldnt go intel.
Old June 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
intel cpu+good mobo=expensive.
unles you have a bigger budget, i wouldnt go intel.
Fair enough, i'm trying to calculate it but it doesnt seem all that more expensive, unless i'm missing something

i7 920 - $245 on directeasybuy.com
Gigabyte x58a-UDR3 $209 On ncix

Total for i7/mobo platform = $454

Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 - $219
AMD Phenom II X6 - $201

Total for AMD/mobo platform = $420

So, the savings doesn't seem to be that huge, $34. I don't mind paying a little extra to jump to the intel platform. Again, if i'm missing something please do tell.