Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2010, 06:06 AM
Top Prospect

Default NAS help

Hey Guys!

I want to build a simple NAS server over the summer and need some help. I plan to store all the files and have backups of my desktop, GF's Laptop and my Alienware m11x (When I get it).

-Will be mini ITX formfactor
-4x Seagate 1TB HDD's

What I need is some suggestions on:

-ITX cases that with some modding can hold 4x 3.5" HDD's
-A decent RAID card (I have no idea what to look for with this!)
-Would an Atom processor be sufficient for a NAS server?

Thanks for the help guys!

Gigabyte 890GX / AMD Phenom II x6 1055 / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB / EVGA GTX470 SC+ / Stock Cooling (Yet) / Corsair TX850 / Corsair Nova 128GB SSD / Antec 902/ Windows 7 PRO 64 bit/ 24" Acer LED Monitor
Old June 19, 2010, 06:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The problem with RAID card + mITX form is that the mITX typically only has one port - so things like intel pro gigabit adapters are out of the question. Also usually need to get a low-profile card.. which isn't really a problem, because most are. Based on the motherboard you choose, you will be looking at a PCI or PCI express card. Figure out the motherboard first.
Supermicro makes a real nice one for servers, but somewhat expensive.
Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Pineview Boards | X7SPA-HF
Has IPMI (remote kvm), dual gigabit nics.

LSI/3ware is one of the best raid card manufacturers out there.
Direct Attached Storage (DAS) & Internal RAID : LSI

A dual core, newer atom processor would be sufficient. Great for power savings, but some do have heat issues. And with an ITX case w/ 4 hdd's, make sure the case has proper ventilation.

I've no idea what case - I rarely even look at the ITX form factor.. other than the Supermicro 5015A-PHF for a pfsense box.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 19, 2010, 07:50 AM
Top Prospect

Well I am trying to do this on the cheap.

As for case I was thinking about trying to mod a Silverstone SG05 or Lian Li PC-Q07B to fit the HDD's

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Sugo SG05B Black SFF MINI-ITX MINI-DTX Case 1X5.25 Slim 1X2.5IN 1X3.5INT W/ Sfx 300W PSU - SST-SG05B In Canada.

or
NCIX.com - Buy Lian Li PC-Q07B Black Aluminum Itx Cube SFF Case 1X5.25 1X3.5INT 1X2.5INT No PS USB - PC-Q07B In Canada.

For Internals I have no idea maybe a Zotac ION board?

As for card, it will be a PCIe card, doesn't need to be anything expensive just enough to handle the 4 HDD's and support RAID 5.

Gigabyte 890GX / AMD Phenom II x6 1055 / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB / EVGA GTX470 SC+ / Stock Cooling (Yet) / Corsair TX850 / Corsair Nova 128GB SSD / Antec 902/ Windows 7 PRO 64 bit/ 24" Acer LED Monitor
Old June 19, 2010, 07:56 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Have you considered something like this:
ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/...-323_ds_ca.pdf

edit: Canada Computers has some bundles on sale:
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems, PC Components, Computer Parts & Accessories, Notebooks, Netbooks, Electronics, and more.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 19, 2010, 08:20 AM
Top Prospect

I have considered yes but decided that it would be a nice project to build one myself. It will probably be more of a hassle but it should be fun lol.

Old June 19, 2010, 08:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The only problem I see, is that "cheap" doesn't go well with "4 port RAID5 controller"..
Even if you went with a crappy highpoint, it's stll $275.

Unless you just go software raid, or find a motherboard with raid integrated. Kinda lose the point of fault tolerance when you go that route.

Other options would be using WHS - with file duplication over the 4 drives.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 19, 2010, 08:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have the 323 d-link. It does its job but transfer speeds are REALLY slow. Usually around 6 to 15 MB per second.

Old June 19, 2010, 08:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Transfer speeds are really slow because of both the network speed and the arm processor that is in the d-link NASs. I bet you dont have a gigabit router, meaning you're limiting your network speed to the drive to 100Mbps, as well as the 'speed' of the arm processor for accepting new data and writing it to your storage drives also kinda sucks. Your hard drives may be older and have smaller caches, causing your read/write speeds to be lower as well. Had an older 250GB hdd in my 232 when i owned it, would always write at those speeds, the 1.5TB i had in the other slot would r/w on my gigabit switch at around double those speeds, not fantastic but you're limited to the hardware the nas has.

You should be fine running it on an atom system, hell thats what i do, only draw back is the one i got only has 3 sata connections so i am limited, but i only have 2 1.5TB hard drives so that works fine for me right now. I'd recommend whatever you do, make sure the mobo has lots of sata connectors otherwise you'll be regretting it later
Old June 19, 2010, 09:34 AM
Top Prospect

If I moved up to a micro-ATX board with RAID support would that be a decent alternative to a dedicated raid card?