Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2010, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Good suggestions guys

I do plan to make the switch to 7 64 bit sooner or later (hopefully sooner) are there any compatibility issues that i should be aware of with some popular game titles with windows 7?

Yeah i agree i'm not expecting a giant increase upgrading to the i5 750 but i just hope it balances everything out a bit better so that games that do make use of the 4 cores will benefit so hopefully that all goes to plan

Yeah i would really like to get a SSD, anyone have much experience with them? how good are performance gains say going from a WD black to SSD?

Cheers
Old June 16, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
are there any compatibility issues that i should be aware of with some popular game titles with windows 7?
Actually I think its the other way around, that is Games having compatibility issues with XP 32 Bit ;)

Quote:
how good are performance gains say going from a WD black to SSD?
You won't notice performance gains "in game"...however you'll notice things faster n snappier Booting up / shutting down / opening - closing Apps....

Also, when you get your new CPU...OC it !!!!

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old June 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

I'm no expert, probably don 't have anywhere near the knowledge or esperience you have, but I've been doing a lot of research lately regarding switching from raptor to SSD. Seek time alone goes from 4.5ms to approx. .1 ms. There are a number of ways to further optimize your SSD after installation. One is moving your page file,...If it's ok with him, ask AkG. He's helped me and I'm sure many others regarding SSDs. Perhaps he will see this and respond. I'm going to pm him to make sure I'm not getting myself into trouble for suggesting this, and will mention this thread.
As for OS, why not try installing a 2nd HDD with the other OS to compare differences. I did this myself and found I liked the additional features with the newer operating system. As for 64 bit, more and more it is becoming mainstream, so switching now lets you familiarize yourself with it now. Just a thought. Good luck, and enjoy!
Old June 16, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For games, the difference between a good hard drive and a good solid state drive will be only at best a couple seconds or less on load times and it really depends on which SSD you get. For gaming systems a Indilinx based Vertex/Falcon 1/Torqx/X series ssd is a great choice (while they say OCZ/G.Skill/Patriot or Corsair on the outside they are basically the same drive on the inside) as they have very good low end and high file performance that will not only make your system bootup faster and apps load like greased lightening but will make games load slightly faster.

BUT with that being said, game load times is actually not a great reason to take the SSD plunge. The two or three bills could be better spent / put towards getting a BETTER GPU (or in your case another one) which would make a bigger and noticeable improvement in game performance. However, if you use the system for more then just gaming its the best 200 or 300 bucks you can spend! It really does make a difference in overall system performance that even a 300GB VRaptor gets its arse handed to it. Depending on your budget the drives I would seriously look at are: the Indilinx 120GB drives like OCZ Vertex or 80GB Intel X25M or various SandForce based SSD. The X25M will not make a lot of difference (if any) to game load times but will make up for it increased application load speed. The SF based drives NEED a TRIM environment as their self maintenance routines (what keeps them "fast" when TRIM is not an option) are extremely less then optimal. IF you can afford them the SF drives are the best there is, but for a first time SSD user its hard to beat the price to performance ration that the Intel X25-M gen 2 offers. It is a beast.

IF it was me I'd drop a CM 212+ cooler on it, OC the snot out of your current rig, drop another 4gb of ram in there, drop win 7 64bit on it and get a X25M gen 2 80gb (aprox 2bills) Vertex 1 120GB (aprox 3 bills) or Vertex 2 100GB or 120GB (aprx 4bills) depending on your budget. That would get a decent system and a better upgrade then 1156 system (I really dont like the 1156 systems). Then later look around for a "better" 775 cpu on the cheap. Then in two or three years when you upgrade your GPU again...get a full new system and carry over the SSD and win 7 OS (and maybe your GPU and simply drop another 1 or two into the new system along with it).

YMMV but to me an (older system + fast SSD + good GPU) > (a newer system + "fast" HDD + good gpu)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; June 16, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old June 16, 2010, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow i didnt expect to have so many people put time into giving me all these suggestions

Very impressed with this forum and appreciate all the posts guys

Windows 7 is starting to seem like the way to go for gaming after hearing many gamers like yourselves recommend it

I guess i would have made the switch earlier but our systems at work (i work as Systems Administrator) are based around XP atm but we are finally rolling out the upgrade to 7 so now i guess i will just do it on my home PC as well. I'm really starting to like it based on the few machines i've upgraded so far

As for the overclocking i can honestly say i havent had much expperience with this, although i have quite a bit of techy IT knowledge its mostly in networking security etc. im probably not as up to scratch with hardcore gaming hardware knowledge as a few of you out there, but i'm very much into gaming and cant stop thinking about buying more gaming toys these days

Seeing as gaming is probably one of my biggest hobbies these days i dont feel too bad about splashing out some cash for it

The way i look at it...New gaming rig toys > Drink the $ at the pub or around town etc.

I will eventually upgrade everything but im going to attack it bit by bit and buy the most important parts first so i think its time for windows 7 and new CPU/Mobo/Ram. I think the 5870 is deserves some new parts

The cpu cooler sounds like a good option too seeing as theres plenty of room in the HAF932

Theres so many toys to buy this stuff is so addictive i can see myself going overboard with it

Once again thanks for all the suggestions, i can see i will learn alot about building gaming rigs on this forum, i think im going to annoy you all asking a lot of questions when the upgrades get going

Cheers guys
Old June 16, 2010, 07:13 PM
Banned
F@H

annoy us? never!

youll find w7 smoother vs xp, altough the footprint for lower end machines(not your case) will make a difference.
Old June 16, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile New Builds

This site and these guys are great!!! Welcome to HWC and whatever you do, enjoy. By the way, and this is probably redundant, but keep an eye on the BST section, as there are some really great deals on there.
Old June 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Haha good to hear guys cheers

Yeah easily the most helpful forum i've come across

Looking forward to seeing how the 5870/Win 7/DirectX11 goes too

Thanks guys

Tags
5870 , i5 750