Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Rookie

Thank you guys for all the help, I really appreciate it. Here is what I came up with after a day of looking through random parts and articles:

Budget: ~$1000 CAD

Parts:
Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
HeastSink : Corsair H50
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler (Still not sure about. Maybe the air Heastsink suggested above.)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890FXA
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM : Kingston HyperX 4GB KHX1600C8D3K2
Newegg.ca - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX
PSU : Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W (Non-Modular, $50 cheaper for better CPU heatsink?!?!)
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

So far this build costs about ~ $730 CAD + Taxes + S&H

I think the above parts I know for sure I will get (or at least pretty sure). The PSU and Heatsink I am still debating. I can go with the Non-Modular PSU (cheaper) so I can buy a better heatsink, but is the Corsair H50 better then the heatsink mentioned above? Now I need some help on hard drives and optical drives. What do I need to look for for a good drive? Are these good? Suggestions please.

DVD : Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

HDD : Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I am also looking for suggestions on a good brand of case fans, I want to add and/or switch the fans on the case. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old June 12, 2010, 11:02 PM
Banned
F@H

Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

212+

youll save money and have a stronger cpu
Old June 13, 2010, 02:03 AM
Rookie

It depends on what you want for the fans (Assuming we are talking about 120mm fans here). Personally, I love my case to sound like an F-16 throttling up for take off when I turn it on... Ok not really, but I don't have a problem with noise generated by High DBA/RPM fans as I game with a headset on.

Just need to figure out if you need/want High CFM or Low CFM. I think the basic agreement is that a negative pressure case cools better from what I can gather. Which means the CFM exiting the case is greater than the CFM entering. So think about that as you buy fans. Also, if you plan on using the H50, Corsair recommends turning the rear 120mm fan into an intake for the radiator so in most cases this will turn your case into a positive pressure case (More hot air hanging out in the case). So you can either buy higher CFM fans for exhaust to compensate or just ignore Corsair.

Some good brands IMO are

Yate Loon
Scythe
Noctua
Delta - 4 of these might make your comp sound like a vaccum cleaner
Old June 13, 2010, 08:57 AM
Rookie

For the 6 core CPU, I have read that the that it preforms pretty much the same as the 4 core 965Be in most cases. Other then rendering and encoding is the 6 core better (gaming wise)?

What is CFM? What is this about positive and negative pressure? Doesn't pulling more air out of the case cause it to become something like a vacuum making it warmer inside the case (I am probably completely wrong, are the fans strong enough to create vacuum conditions? I am going off in a tangent now = P).
Old June 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
Rookie

I don't think you will need x6 cores for gaming.

CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute basically how much air the fan is moving.

I've never seen a actual vaccum inside of a computer. You would have to use a lot of rubber cement or something to seal all of your bays and side panel etc to make it air tight and have a lot of CFM coming out of the case.

This really comes down to personal preference, as I have seen arguments for days about Neg vs Pos pressure.

I will use your 690 for example. It comes already in a Negative pressure setup. It comes with:

1 x 140mm Intake (Bottom Front)
1 x 140mm Exhaust (Top)
1 x 120mm Exhaust (Rear Top)

So if hypothetically if each was 100CM you would be have 100 In - 200 out = -100.

For Negative the thought process is this -- Getting the hot air out as quickly as possible will keep the tempature inside the computer cooler. As the hot air will be sucked out by the negative pressure fast. In positive pressure the hot air will build up and hot air pockets could form around the hard drive bays depending on the case. Negative pressure relys on good air flow mechanics and good wire managment. Cold air in the bottom, air turns hot and rises and is sucked out of the case.

For positive the thought process is this -- Bring in as much cool air as possible. If you bombard the case with cold air it will naturally heat up and rise to the top of the case and be exhausted. This leaves the possibility of hot air just hanging out in the case though if there is not a lot of exhaust.

You could always go for neutral though.

I think of it like this. If you are in a room with no windows open and the door closed it will be hot. If you open a window and the breeze starts to blow inward it will be cool infront of the window but hot elsewhere in the room. So if you open to windows it might cool it down somemore slowly. Open the door the room will air out very quickly as you have more space for the air to escape.

I wouldn't think too hard about this, I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to have all of your pointed one way or another.

This probably won't make much difference. I just think it is important because I am too poor to water cool my PC so I try to maximize my air cooling.
Old June 13, 2010, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Newegg has the Corsair H50 on for 67.50 i do believe. If you going to buy that get an extra fan and do push pull

Old June 13, 2010, 01:56 PM
Rookie

Where would be a good place to look at case fans? Other then newegg.
Old June 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

NCIX, Direct Canada. I dunno usually i find a nice fan. for my 690II basic case (same as yours without the extra stuff like SSD adapter and etc) I use slip stream at 68 cfm, i wanted 110 cfm but my friend said it wasn't necessary and plus it was too loud. I used shopbot and priced matched my scythe slip stream at 68 cfm medium airflow at 6.45 CAD. Yate loons make good choices, same with gelids(for silence).
Old June 13, 2010, 02:46 PM
Rookie

I was wondering about the heatsink. I just read a couple of articles about the Corsair H50 vs some air coolers and it seems that the H50 is only sub-par when compared with larger air heat sinks.

I was wondering what makes a good CPU heatsink, other then how big it is?
Whats a good temp (in Celsius please) at idle and full load?

Last edited by Charmster; June 13, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old June 13, 2010, 03:22 PM
Banned
F@H

well the materials, engineering. some are made for low speed fans, others vs high speed ones.

when we say get the 212+ we really mean it lol...