Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2010, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

Default P55/i7-875k Hackintosh/Win7 Dual boot

I'm currently in the process of selling my wife's Mac Pro ($1500, selling from Brampton if anyone is interested...), and we're going to build her a new PC, with the intention to run OSX on it. I'll be going with the new i7-875k (already have) and I'll be ocing it as high as I can go on air.

I'll be using a Gigabyte mobo, simply because they have an easier time installing OSX, and they're good boards anyway.

I've got a Lancool PC-K62 case sitting around here that we'll use to house everything, and I'm getting an 8800GT from a friend for 50 bucks, or a couple sticks of ram...we'll see.

This rig is primarily for graphic design/minor video editing. I'm pretty sure the majority of the parts are good, I'm just not 100% sure about the CM Hyper 212+ for cooling an oc'd cpu. But, I don't know that I want to spend 80 bucks on a better cooler.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

Ram (2x, for 8gb total):
2x F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM G.SKILL F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM Ripjaws

PSU:
Corsair CMPSU-650HX

Cooler:
CM Hyper212+

HD:
WD Caviar Black 640..Sata 2 or 3? Is sata3 worth the 10 dollar difference?

I'm also looking to see if I can find a cheap Seasonic M12D/X650 to pricematch. Any input would be appreciated. Any of the Gigabyte P55 boards would be acceptable if there's reason to go to a different model. Doubt she'll ever be going sli/crossfire (OSX doesnt support it and she doesnt really game anyway)
Old June 9, 2010, 10:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Some rendering can be offset by the GPU - depending on the difficulty you want to get into with certain programs. A Hyper 212+ is a decent HSF - you will want to pick up another 120mm fan comparable to the stock, if you're going to overclock the 875 a lot.
The Hyper 212+ is a budget cooler, if you want to really push, look into the corsair H50 (once again, with dual fans) or the Noctua U12P/D14

I bought a OCZ vertex 60 gig SSD for a boot drive + loaded adobe/3dsmax for my wife - it speeds loading the programs a lot. Just a thought if you have some cash left over. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Some rendering can be offset by the GPU - depending on the difficulty you want to get into with certain programs. A Hyper 212+ is a decent HSF - you will want to pick up another 120mm fan comparable to the stock, if you're going to overclock the 875 a lot.
The Hyper 212+ is a budget cooler, if you want to really push, look into the corsair H50 (once again, with dual fans) or the Noctua U12P/D14

I bought a OCZ vertex 60 gig SSD for a boot drive + loaded adobe/3dsmax for my wife - it speeds loading the programs a lot. Just a thought if you have some cash left over. :)
Are the stock fans on the 212 good enough, or should I replace the fan it comes with as well? My wife doesn't need a crazy oc, but I'd like to get past 3.8. We'll probably be saving up for a pair of SSDs (I need one too) that we'll use as os/app drive.