Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Yeah I've been hearing good things about Mushkin. I've never heard of it before and don't see much selection of it in most stores and such. I might actually invest in them instead..but your right. I'll have to do some more price researching.

On another note, I'm now debating if I should get a new tower instead of reusing my Antec 900. I don't mind spending the extra $100-200 case if its completely worth it. My Antec 900 is a great case, but organizing cables for good air flow can be troublesome. Right now, its pretty much cluttered...but once I get new parts, I'll see if I can make some better adjustments. Also gets pretty dusty, but I don't mind some monthly maintenace work to clean it out. I read some reviews and other threads on here too. Some of these sound promising:

Antec 1200 (but then i should just keep my 900?)
Corsair 800D
ATCS 840
Cosmos 1000
CoolerMaster HAF 932
did i leave any more good ones out?

Thanks again guys for the suggestions!
Old June 14, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Talking New Builds

Consider adding your own custom filtering to limit dust buildup. That new foam works pretty good. For cable management, simply cut some holes/slots. You can get edging to protect the cabling from fraying. Changing cases is another way to go, but perhaps these small tweaks might be enough. Good luck.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In this case I think the cheapest option would be to get an ssd and a 5870 which should fit all your needs. If you don't think it's fast enough, see if your current motherboard can support a hex-core amd. If not, go with the rest of your upgrade plan with either i7 or AMD depending on your budget. Your power supply should be fine but if you can somehow fit an upgrade in your budget, it would be a good idea.

Also, are you using stock cooling? If so, grab yourself a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Best bang for buck heatsink you'll find.

Old June 14, 2010, 05:10 PM
Rookie

I think my Antec 650 watt powersupply should do the job. I'm assuming its average for the build I'm putting together. High much higher would you recommend? And yes I was thinking about stock cooling, but now that I think about it, I should get one (IF i overclock). And if not, its nice to have it running extra cool anyway.

Seems like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 has some decent reviews up on ncix. I don't even know what else is good.
Old June 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The CM 212+ is the best cooler you can get for sub $40. The Antec 650W is fine.

-Plato