Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
MVP

Ya it's a no name brand I have a 500 watt ISO-500 and a 465 watt Retail+ psu. (Please don't flame me out of HC >.<) Also I was hoping not to have to spend 100 bucks on a new psu but I guess if I have too.
Also what do people think of the OCZ psu? They are cheap and seem to have good reviews.
Old June 8, 2010, 01:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynerd View Post
Ya it's a no name brand I have a 500 watt ISO-500 and a 465 watt Retail+ psu. (Please don't flame me out of HC >.<) Also I was hoping not to have to spend 100 bucks on a new psu but I guess if I have too.

Also what do people think of the OCZ psu? They are cheap and seem to have good reviews.
Not going to flame, it happens. I rememeber back when I knew SFA about PSU's I got an Apevia. That now hangs on my wall of shame.
OCZ is not my first pick by any stretch of the imagination.
You are best to get yourself a unit of Quality, even a Silverstone Essentials would be better than an OCZ in my opinion.

Spend the 60-70 and get something decent and your hardware will be happy. The PSU is the heart of your system, if it fails, everything fails.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 8, 2010, 01:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Not going to flame, it happens. I rememeber back when I knew SFA about PSU's I got an Apevia. That now hangs on my wall of shame.
OCZ is not my first pick by any stretch of the imagination.
You are best to get yourself a unit of Quality, even a Silverstone Essentials would be better than an OCZ in my opinion.

Spend the 60-70 and get something decent and your hardware will be happy. The PSU is the heart of your system, if it fails, everything fails.

ST
I know I know :/ just a little bummed out that my 300 dollar fix/build is now 400 bucks :/
Old June 8, 2010, 01:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Why not get an Antec BP500 , or w.e the modular one that's on sale at ncix right now ...
Old June 8, 2010, 02:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Why not get an Antec BP500 , or w.e the modular one that's on sale at ncix right now ...
Because I'm just planing atm I'm going to be buy these things in a months time (my money slipped away :/) so after this school year I get 100 bucks then I just have to work at my part time job and raise the other 300 lol with price match though the cost might go down by 50 bucks I don't know.

Last edited by andynerd; June 8, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old June 8, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking that the corsair 400 watt was good but it just seems that every time a buy a power supply under 500 watts it cheaper period. almost like the manufacture is not worried about sales down there not in the enthusiast market anyways.
Old June 8, 2010, 05:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
hell i would like to say corsair 400 but it happens to be the only power supply that i have had to rma in a long time. for me there's only 1 great company seasonic has never done me wrong yet. but what about the new mushkins volta they look decent.
The Corsair CX400 is a Seasonic PSU. It's a cheap unit, but it's as good or better than anything else in that market segment.

The Mushkin Volta line is manufactured by Topower. Probably decent, but nothing exceptional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andynerd View Post
OCZ PSUs are not especially good. I recommend against getting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
even a Silverstone Essentials would be better than an OCZ in my opinion.
It's amusing to see you post that, since the Silverstone Essentials line is basically the same thing as OCZ's ModXStream lineup.
Old June 8, 2010, 05:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
It's amusing to see you post that, since the Silverstone Essentials line is basically the same thing as OCZ's ModXStream lineup.
Sorry Zero, I don't keep a running tally in my head on all the OEM's, it was just something that came off the top of my head.

If thats the case than no on that one.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 8, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh god no i was not saying it was bad i just can't for the life of me bring myself to recommend that power supply just because of my bad luck with it up to this point that may change if ncix every gets me my new one(express rma ya right).

it's my only experience with corsair lower end units/seasonic's and it just so happens i got a dead unit worked for about a day then died. does that mean i will not buy another hell no.

it just means i can't go and tell someone that ya it's great and i pushed way past what i thought it would do
Old June 8, 2010, 08:14 PM
MVP

Since you are not buying immediately, wait for this PSU to go on sale:

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair VX450 450W ATX 12V 33A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - CMPSU-450VX In Canada.

Rock solid, and if you get it on sale it will only be a few dollars more then what you planned to pay.