Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2010, 06:51 PM
Banned
F@H

one thing people tend to forget about the wd green drives is that they park there heads a tad too often..soo...if its not used all the time, well, the cycle count will go up quickly..:)
Old June 9, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

other side of that coin...is that they ONLY unpark their heads when they are accessed. ;)
So for a "D" drive its not that hard on them unless you use it as your scratch file/pg file/etc.
Greens are good choices for "data only drives". But suck if you plan on using it for anything else as they will park and unpark if the activity is more then 8 seconds apart.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 9, 2010, 07:03 PM
MVP

I use greens just for storage. Use the blacks for all processing of data. You just don't want to lose all that recording time, that is what I meant.
Old June 9, 2010, 07:15 PM
Banned
F@H

thanks for the further info. there you have it :) data only? good. anything else? look elsewhere
Old June 9, 2010, 07:17 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Blacks have the 5 year warranty too, where the Greens are 3 years.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 17, 2010, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Hey. I've been away for a week+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
one thing people tend to forget about the wd green drives is that they park there heads a tad too often..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
other side of that coin...is that they ONLY unpark their heads when they are accessed. ;)
So for a "D" drive its not that hard on them unless you use it as your scratch file/pg file/etc.
Greens are good choices for "data only drives". But suck if you plan on using it for anything else as they will park and unpark if the activity is more then 8 seconds apart.
What do you mean when you refer to the drive "parking" its head? "Parking" versus just pausing? And what happens (why is it bad or slow or...?)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
No hdd is fast enough to take advantage of Sata III .
What about a SSD such as the Intel X25-M 80GB SSD – Generation 2 – N82E16820167027 ?

Third,
is a fan controller with temperature readings (provided either via hardware or software) something to look into? Suggestions?

Thanks so much. Some of my parts are here and others are on the way!

Last edited by DarkVixen0; June 17, 2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: pasted name of drive without a surrounding sentence! *laugh*

Tags
1366 , new build , new computer