Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 04:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Honestly i recommend AMD's new 890FX chipset and an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (not black edition but still offers overclocking just in case) ... for graphics i would run dual 5870s... that would be beast... get some water cooling (maybe) or some damn nice air cooling and run those bitches maxed out..
Old June 6, 2010, 05:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am not an AMD guy, but your intel build list looks good. It would call it on the low end of high performance PCs. It will run any game/app you need it to on a single monitor and probably even on dual monitors.

The only things I would reconsider:
Sound card... Do you do any serious audio processing? The UD5 motherboard (like almost every motherboard) has a built in 7.1 sound card. No need for another one.
With the sound card savings, I would upgrade the optical drive to at least a DL-DVDRW, or better yet a BLU-ray burner. Blank blu rays are expensive now, but expect them to drop significantly in the very near future.
Also, you didn't list a monitor, but I would recommend any good 1920x1200 24" LCD. Any bigger and the price gets disproportionate to the size.
Old June 7, 2010, 02:40 AM
Rookie

Question Optical Drives and Fan Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
I am not an AMD guy, but your intel build list looks good. It would call it on the low end of high performance PCs. It will run any game/app you need it to on a single monitor and probably even on dual monitors.

The only things I would reconsider:
Sound card... Do you do any serious audio processing? The UD5 motherboard (like almost every motherboard) has a built in 7.1 sound card. No need for another one.
With the sound card savings, I would upgrade the optical drive to at least a DL-DVDRW, or better yet a BLU-ray burner. Blank blu rays are expensive now, but expect them to drop significantly in the very near future.
Also, you didn't list a monitor, but I would recommend any good 1920x1200 24" LCD. Any bigger and the price gets disproportionate to the size.
Low end of high performance sounds about where I'm aiming -- I'm not going for anything insane, but for once I'd just like a really nice computer, you know? I must admit, I'm leaning toward the Intel build myself -- AMD isn't that much cheaper, and, though it may just be vanity talking, I do like the idea of triple-channel versus dual-channel memory. As I've said, overclocking isn't really a big issue, though once I get the whole thing going, I may try a very mild overclock just to see how it's done.

As for the optical drive, I took a look at Blu-Ray burners, but damnation they're expensive, and really I don't see much use for them, not for what I'm shooting for -- I don't do any huge audio processing, but I do prefer having absolutely crystal-clear sound quality for games or (more importantly) music, and I'd prefer to put the money towards that than an expensive burner I probably won't use. Really, you could count the number of CDs/DVDs I've burnt in the last year on one hand with fingers to spare -- though dual-layer is definitely worth a second look. Still, I may be a little out of date on the quality of built-in audio these days -- can it compete with the add-on cards in terms of clarity? From what I remember from the PCs I dealt with in the hands of friends and family and so forth from years back, anyone who used built-in audio was asking for terrible quality.

Yeah, 22 to 24 inch LCD was about the range I was thinking -- I didn't list one because I haven't really decided yet, and besides it may be one of the few parts where I can find a quality one even out here in the boonies (I'm in the mountains of BC about four hours from anywhere, you see).

Also, I took another look at the fan setup of the FT02 case versus the number of fan headers on the motherboard -- from what I can tell, three fans can plug into the SYS_FAN_1, SYS_FAN_2, and NB_FAN headers, but can the fourth fan that comes with the case plug into the PWR_FAN header without difficulty, or should I just skip it and plug directly into the PSU (I may yet end up splurging on a fan controller, especially if it comes with a built-in memory card reader, but that's for later)? I assume that doing so would just run the fan in question at full-blast all the time, which probably wouldn't be a terrible idea for the exhaust fan. Oh, and given the size of the fans (3 x 180mm, 1 x 120mm), if I do use the headers, will the motherboard supply enough juice to get them all spinning? Or should I just toss the header idea and go for power straight from the PSU, or via a fan controller?
Old June 9, 2010, 01:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The current onboard audio is actually quite good and supports S/PDIF, dolby and HD audioup to 7.1. Unless you are planning to run seriously high end speakers you won't notice a difference IMO.

The board claims: CPU/System fan speed control and CPU/System/Power fan speed detection, so you are right, the pwr_fan will be 12v and not software controllable. The MOBO will have no problems running 4 fans, so just do whatever makes your wire routing the easiest. A fan controller can always be picked up later at any PC store if you decide that the pwr fan is too loud and you want to undervolt it.

Or, do do it on the cheap you can either modify a molex connector to provide 7v (search 7v fan mod) or you can use a 10 cent resistor and use ohms law to get any fan voltage you want.
Old June 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Question Different Motherboard?

Hi stoanee. I like the pick for the PSU -- I'll have to compare prices but it certainly looks like a winner to me. Why the different motherboard, though? It seems quite similar to the Gigabyte one -- I admit I picked the UD5 because it had the LED error code display, and given my lack of experience the idea that the motherboard could give me a hint as to the nature of any problems that might crop up during post was appealing. The memory I picked followed from that, as the OCZ kit was one of the ones listed on Gigabyte's "approved" list (and at a pretty decent price, at that), which ought to cut down on hardware conflicts, or so I'd hope. I can't seem to find an equivalent on ASUS' website, though. But the ASUS motherboard says it supports DDR3 1600 memory, while Gigabyte doesn't list that speed, just skips right over it. Does that mean I'll have to mess around in the BIOS to get the OCZ memory working at spec if I go with the Gigabyte board?