Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2010, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Default Building a moderate Audio PC Help needed!

First Hello to all, i am new here and i dont know if my Topic is in the right category but i hope someone will guide me.
My name is Nedim and i am from NYC, an Apple guy for the last 13-14 years but also i am not PC iliterate, i've owned
quiet a few and i am familiar with them. Back in 2003 i built another one based on AMD XP2500. I run a recording studio
and thats what the new PC is gonna be used for, mainly. I am also not an Extreme Gamer but i do play Games once in a while,
nothing extreme, mostly games like Call of Duty or Battlefield...and stuff like that but once in a while. Ok, here we go...
Originally i wanted to base the system on I7 860 and go from there but then someone popped up and changed my mind to go to
930 due to 1333 S motherboard and be FutureProof which is not my intention...i am not planing on building a 1500$ system now
so 8 months from now i can spend another 500$ on a 6 core CPU again. I wont do that so i guess FutureProofing to me is not
important which brings me back to I7 860. I already had all the configuration made on list to start ordering for 930 when it hit
me again to not do that, 500$ at least extra for almost the same performance. Now i am thinking of going back to 860, it will save
me a lot of money which i can put towards my new PCIe RME Audio Card. For some reason i wanted/want to stay in the ASUS
familly of GXF and MoBo...the original i was planing was the P7P55 LX:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...84O&templete=2
The GFX Card i wanted/want to use is the ASUS ENGT240 Silent/DI/1GD3:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...wWL&templete=2
which i think still will work for the I7 860 and the LX Mobo, not just on 930. HDDs i will use 2, 1 will be 180GB split in 2 for 2
different OSs and one will be around 1.5 TB for everything else, both SATA. I will most likely use the Green WD Caviars.
Now, the 2 important parts are left, PSU and Cooling, originally i was gonna use as Cooling the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm:
Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!
and also the Seasonic X650 Silent CPU Gold:
Welcome to Seasonic USA
Thats all about it. Now, i am going back to 860, i dont know if i have to change some of the above components due to MoBo change
but i dont think so except the MoBo itself everything will work. The only thing thats left now is the MoBo itself and a lot of people
are telling me i am overkilling with PSU, 650 is too much. I have to find something similar to Seasonic at 500 and then the cooler
itself, Zalman or Scythe. The RAM itself will be between Corsair or G.Skill, which in this case goes back to DualChannel.
This computer will be used for music, using Cubase, Native Instruments and stuff like that...AS I SAID i am not an Extreme Gamer
but i like to play few games once in a while thats why i chose that GXF card. I am not asking for something extremeli silent but decent
you know. As for the Case itself i dont know yet, if MID Tower would be enough for all this or full ATX...lets see, someone say
something please. It has to be silent at least to a point. I will apreciate anyone who willput his few cents in and i apologize if this becomes
annoying with asking questions, i dont wanna just jump in and buy. My current system is based on a Dual PPC APPLE 2.7 GHZ but
i have to give it up, i know its way ahead of any PC but Apple got ridiculous lately, same specs from the PC above with apple i have to
probably pay like 6000$ or something for almost similar specs...it sux.

Help with:
Mobo and Case (as silent as possible), RAM (dont necesarilly need DDR3) and PSU and Cooling.

Notes:
I am not looking for SLI/CrosFIRE, FutureProof, Extreme GFX, SATA 3 or USB 3.0.
Also, i would not use onboard FW since most of them are not TI, i will add a TI PCIe FW.
The Components mentioned about i am not stuck with, i am open minded to sugestions and advices.

Thank You
Old June 5, 2010, 09:47 AM
Rookie

I guess nothing...
Old June 5, 2010, 10:29 AM
shaw

I read your thread twice, and I still can't get the jist of it. What is exactly your budget and when do you intend to buy?

That's an easy built to do actually. You want HDD space, a sound card and a good CPU. Not a gamer, mid-end GPU then.

Asus M4A89GTD Pro board, AMD 1055T, WD 640Gb for the OS, WD 1Tb Green for storage. Antec Sonata III (w/ 500W PSU) as a case (change fans to YLs). Noctua cooler is a good choice. 4Gb of 1333 ram.
Old June 5, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Seasonic X series are probably the best for silent computers, I wouldn't go with anything else. I've been noticing a lot of price drops on them up here in Canada, but I have no clue how they are for you. I haven't had any major issues with mine. (they've gone as low as ~$130 here, should be able to get one pretty cheap in the States)

As for the case, the Fractal Design Define R2 is probably the best option if you're on a budget. Do note it's not a high quality case, they use cheap thin steel and the paint job is average. However, they use so much bitumen that the extra heft kind of makes up for everything. It's only available from NCIX, which is a Canadian retailer but they have a US site: NCIXUS.com - Great Technology, Selection and Service.
If you don't want to go with that go with one of the Antec's. P183 would probably be one of the better choices for your purposes, if you can use a micro atx motherboard, go for the Antec P180 Mini.

As for cooling, you'll probably want some aftermarket heatsinks if you want your comp REALLY quiet. The GT 240 probably won't need one, but you'll want one for your CPU. If you're not overclocking or anything, most of them will do fine, you might have to change out the fans though.
For fans, Noctua's are great, and I know for a fact that you can get better prices in the States, but they're still pricey. You've got a lot more choices than me though, you can look at Noiseblockers too. Gelid fans aren't as good but they're a lot cheaper.

For more tips on building a silent PC, I'd look at silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers

In terms of pricing I don't think I can help you much there.
For other hardware component choices, I wouldn't be too sure so I'll let someone who knows more about your line of work make a better suggestion.
Old June 5, 2010, 12:52 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys, helps a lot. Shaw, maybe i wasnt clear enough on the above post. my budget will be
around 1500$ -monitor, which i already have. I can stretch 100$ up or down, not a problem. I will
be ordering based on my decision on what i am getting, i can order even today if i knew what.
SoundCard is not an issue, no PC has a SoundCard that i need (i already have 2 of them) and each
of those is probably twice the price of the whole PC, around 2800$ a unit...Rosetta 800s. They are
all PCI based card thats why us musician are a little weird when it comes to motherboards, its all
about compatibility with other Music Hardware we use as SoundCard and Controllers, in which case
we all stay away from anything that has to do with VIA. But as i said i do like to play games once
in a while, nothing extreme but i think this system will handle what i play and use.
Ilya, you make good sense too and you are as close as i was/am about most of the parts, Fractal is
a MID Case...still thinking and i dont think i can use that, P183 looks ugly as hell to me, lol.
I was thinking of CoolMaster but they are loud. I wont be overclocking, at least not to extremes.
I am still considering Noctua, they are not that expensive here. My list will look something similar
to this below, i would still apreciate if someone puts some more input. After all this is settled then
i will decide and shop for a case based on my components, i think its easier:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The reason for going with P7P55 D-E LX is the USB 3.0, SATA 3
and the biggest is the eSATA which i would need for eHDDs.

Thank you all
Old June 5, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just so you know, Caviar Blacks are incredibly noisy drives.
I run mine with AAM (automated acoustic management, it's a feature that makes your drive quieter at the cost of performance) set to max and they're only OK in terms of noise. However I don't have adequate vibration dampening for them, I just use a steel case so it's not as bad.

In terms of the GT 240, there are other passively cooled cards that give much better performance, and here in Canada they come at a similar price point. The passive Powercolor 5750 is the first that comes to mind, and a few 9800gt's that are passive and cheaper.

If you're looking for a full tower quiet case and can stretch your budget, take a look at the Silverstones, more specifically the Fortress 2.
Old June 5, 2010, 01:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks Ilya, as for HDDs i have no other choice, i wanted to go Baraccuda but they are even louder.
Going SSD is not an option, they are way too smal for me and also very expensive. I might have
to look for choices for vibration dampening. As for the GFX i will do some research as long as its
not ATI. Another thing for us same as the VIA stuff...lol.
Old June 6, 2010, 10:19 PM
Rookie

Well right now i am standing here and thats pretty much it, i think nothing else would
change besides the Case itself and probably one of the HDDs, going for a 1.5 TB.
The Case is still an issue to me, the SilverStone FT01 is very nice but is like 140 more:

Thanks