Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Emailed the person who was responsible for MSDNAA at uwo who told me I didnt have access. Found out about the 'repository' of Win7 iso's and other software that was set up by the Eng department while getting Solidworks. Bit weird but w/e.

But back on topic, Most of the build is fine but as mentioned, I'd go with the x3440 to save some money. It's basically an i5 750 with hyperthreading.

As for PSU, get the M12D that's on sale for $130 or a Silverstone Strider 850W

Old June 3, 2010, 12:30 AM
Top Prospect

How is the pricematching at Memory Express? Is it as simple and are they as accepting as NCIX? I'm pretty tempted by the free shipping. That would win me over.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:46 AM
Top Prospect

ive never actually had to use it all the items the order i recently placed with them were actually on par or cheaper than ncix. but saying that memory express advertizes it on the homepage and its much simpler to do than ncix i found. give it a try
Old June 3, 2010, 01:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw View Post
Great selection of parts as is, the CM TIM that comes with the 212 is fine.
I might have gotten a bad tube, but the paste that came with my 212+ was hard to work with and gave pretty high temps. I went out and got some Artic Silver 5 and reseated the heatsink. It spread like a dream in compairison and my CPU temps dropped about 15C. Was easily worth the extra money for different paste for me, but like I said maybe I just got a bad tube or something.
Old June 3, 2010, 01:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
They have some weird requirements for MSDNAA access. I requested for an account to be made since I was in engineering but they denied it since I had to be in EE or CompSci, and was instead told to use the copy of Win7Pro that they kept in one of the computer labs and pirate it -.-. Big YMMV there. And Yes, you have to wait for school to start
If you go to Western (which I assume you do), take a half course such as Comp Sci 1033 (Guaranteed 90+ if you follow instructions), you'll access to MSDNAA permanently. I got two copies of Win7 Pro this way.
Old June 3, 2010, 11:28 PM
Top Prospect

Hm...well I can't wait till school starts to get the W7 unfortunately, but thank you guys for the information regarding free copy of W7. I'll be sure to pass it along to my friends! :) Thank you guys again for all your suggestions and comments.

I have one final question before I pull the trigger, which of these 2 companies have least-hassle warranty: XFX or Sapphire?

While I agree that double lifetime warranty is great to have, I am almost 99% sure I won't take advantage of it since I will not be reselling the card in the future (if anything, I'd put in a 2nd 5870..though I'd probably need a more proper MB). What I'm more concerned about is if something does happen within 2-3 years, how easy would it be to RMA the cards? Because I am located in York Region, I am leaning towards is Sapphire, since I feel I'll be able to pick up/drop an item without getting charged for shipping.

Last edited by Stock; June 4, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old June 4, 2010, 01:37 AM
Banned
F@H

xfx, id normally say but since youre close by? your pick. id go xfx regardless :)unless sapphire is canadian...hmmmm
Old June 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect

I looked it up and I believe Sapphire has a branch office in Markham, whereas XFX doesn't. I know ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI also have one in Markham too, but from my research I haven't been able to conclude which of those companies make the best/error-free 5870's.