Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Game build, medium budget (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/32724-game-build-medium-budget.html)

ElectricDrop June 1, 2010 08:05 AM

Game build, medium budget

Dear forum members,

After reading alot of reviews on the main page of this site and some general browsing around I decided to make a topic here for a new build I've been planning to purchase. Let's start with the template.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

I like to play games, all games, I think that's the most important factor here.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

The budget is around 1k euro's. When asked I'll post the approximate prices of the products that will be recommended so you guys can get an idea of the budget. That's because it seems most of the visitors here are Americans. The budget may be stretched 20% ofcourse but I rather stay around the 1000.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Europe, so no new-egg.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

I'm quite new to this pc building so I have no preference. Quality and warranty is where brands excell.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have keyboard, mouse, headset, old screen etc. I also have a spare dvd drive but those things won't break the bank anyway.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes I did, I've read ALOT in my spare time so I must have some basic knowledge.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I might OC later but let's first get a stock rig running.

8. What resolution YOU plan on gaming with.

I don't have a screen and that will be bought later, it will be a seperate decision after the rig is bought and put together. So the budget excludes the screen. It will probably be 1920 x 1200.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Within 1/2 months, I'm a careful buyer so I rationalyse every decision before buying. Time is not an issue.

---

I've established a build as a starting point. It's around 900 euro.

Intel Core i5 750 PROCESSOR
STOCK CPU COOLER
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 or Asus P7P55D or P7P55D LE MOBO
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 4GB RAM CAS 9 DDR3-1600
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD
ASUS HD5850 DIRECTCU GRAPHICS
Corsair TX650 PSU
All that in a HAF 922 CASE!

Optional upgrades: Intel i7 860 and/or 5870 VAPOR-X

I would really appreciate any input about this build.
Thanks in advance!

ElectricDrop.

rjbarker June 1, 2010 09:09 AM

^^ Looks solid...the reason you're asked if you plan on OC'ing is so you can "prepare" ahead of time, as in your choice of Mobo.

btw....a decent Aftermarket CPU Cooler can be had for around $40 CDN....may as well get it and build with it so your prepared.

Curious though...isn't 1K Euro's around 1.6K CDN ?.........if so why not an I7 Build ;)

matsta31 June 1, 2010 09:28 AM

Euro went down the drain with the PIIGS situation, 1.29 CAD for 1 Euro.

ElectricDrop June 1, 2010 09:40 AM

If you mean the i7 860 that certainly is possible but I don't know if I find the extra costs worth it. But I think that's mainly a decision I have to make myself.
The socket 1366 is a different story though. I'm unsure if it's worth it. Decent mobo's seem to cost more than 200 euro's. Looking at the processors, the i7 930 is also priced pretty high.
As for OC'ing if the MOBO is user friendly and clocks a little within safe margins I'm satisfied. As for a CPU cooler people seem to recommend a Scythe Mugen which can be bought for like 30 euro so that's no problem. I could purchase one later if I get to the point where I want to OC. Let's first get a stable stock rig running (I'm a first-time builder).

The hardest part for me is the MOBO. I really don't know what to look for. I'm not too fancied by Sata 6 and CF but USB 3 seems nice. I read though that the Gigabyte MOBO puts the primary PCI-e slot at x8 when USB 3 is used. So that seems a nono for me. Don't know how that is with the ASUS boards. It seems to be a limitation of the 1156 socket but I'm not too worried though.
I am a little afraid of the Foxconn socket issues though.

_dangtx_ June 1, 2010 11:13 AM

i would actually go am3 with a duallie regor for now. at those resolutions the cpu will be of less importance. going to save you a good 100-150 euros wich can go somewhere else or future upgrade.
good case,psu.

ElectricDrop June 1, 2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 385621)
with a duallie regor for now

With a WHAT? :shok:
What AM3 motherboard do you suggest as that's the part I'm struggling with.

rapmaster June 1, 2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 385621)
i would actually go am3 with a duallie regor for now. at those resolutions the cpu will be of less importance. going to save you a good 100-150 euros wich can go somewhere else or future upgrade.
good case,psu.

When I switch from an X2 7750 to a Q6600 at 1920 x 1200, I saw huge increase in FPS in certain games. So I say stick with i5 750 or Phenom II X6.

ElectricDrop June 1, 2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapmaster (Post 385626)
When I switch from an X2 7750 to a Q6600 at 1920 x 1200, I saw huge increase in FPS in certain games. So I say stick with i5 750 or Phenom II X6.

The i5 seems to be the value choice in games. The 6 core AMD's have similar or lower performance with higher costs. Would you please recommend a AM3 MOBO and/or a 1156 MOBO? Thanks in advance.

fishingfanatic June 1, 2010 11:51 AM

New Builds

Consider getting a SSD for the OS, if you can stay in budget, this is arguably the biggest single upgrade with the best results, (performance wise), for your money. Looks good though. Enjoy the build!!!
:thumb:

ElectricDrop June 1, 2010 11:59 AM

I certainly planned a SSD as an upgrade down the road indeed.