Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 02:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Project: Silent But Deadly

Sorry for the Novel... Hopefully it can serve to help someone else.

Hey guys, Loooong time lurker, first post. I haven't seen any threads on here similar to what I want to do, so I thought I'd get some advice and post my build log here once I get at it. This will be my... 6th I think... custom build, but only my second high end build. I find that my current 3 year old PC just can't keep up with new games or autocad 2010 as fast as I would like it to. (mostly the GPU)

What a want to build is a PC capable of audio editing, Gaming, and 3d Modeling, though 75% of its use will be net surfing LOL. This PC will be mildly overclocked, but MUST be near SILENT. The loudest part of my current system by far are my hard drives, and I find them too loud.
I am hoping to spend under $2000 and reuse my current:
Monitors - Samsung 275t 27" 1920x1200 (I really dislike 1920x1080) + 1 old BenQ 1084x1084 20"
Optical drives - LG Blu ray reader / DVD-RW - LG Blu Ray writer
Power Supply (if it's big enough...) Zalman 850-HP (Love it because it's dead silent.)

I would like to buy all my parts in Canada. I am a fan of NCIX and Memory Express. I plan on collecting the parts over the next 3-6 weeks.

I have always had good luck with Intel, so I will use an I7 and currently (from my research) Nvidia can't touch ATI (single card to single card) so I want the option for crossfire. Plus My 8800GTX is kind of sketchy, had to bake it in the oven once already to get it to work, but I have an X850XT that is still running strong

CPU: I7.... 920 DO? or is a 930 a better option? (possibly upgrade to 980x when their price drops substantially.) + EK-SUPREME HF... I have one on my Q6600 Idles at 29* Loads up to 37* Love it.
MOBO: Asus Rampage III... unless there is a better alternative with 8 sata ports inc. 2 3.0 and Xfire +EK-FB full MOBO waterblock
GPU: dunno... I am thinking about just a single 5970 OC with EK waterblock

RAM: No clue... 6 gigs with the ability to upgrade to 12 later... I've used HyperX in the past, but am Unhappy with it. It is barely stable at stock
clocks/timings.... forget any OC at all. And HOT!!!!

CASE: MY Armor i just not big enough... even for just 1 W/C loop. I want a Corsair Obsidian. I have no use for hot swappable bays, and I think the 700d hard drive setup will cool better but I like the window.. Anyone find anywhere I can buy a side panel from an 800d to put on a 700d? Otherwise, I' can mod the 700d panel easily enough.

The case will be modded slightly for dual loop cooling. I will take out the lower HD cage, and replace it with a 120x2 Rad for the GPU. a 3x120 on the top of the case for the Mobo/CPU. I may eventually mod it for 3x140 like the sweet Hardware Canucks special 800d.

W/C: I need suggestions for the quietest yet potent pumps or pump/res. combo.

Will my Zalman 850-HP pack enough punch for this rig? I think so, but I'm not sure...

If you made it to the end, congratulations and thank you. lol.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Your Power supply should work for that build. The 5970 only requires a 650W min, believe it or not.

For your CPU, I would go with the 930. It's near the same price as the 920 (if im not mistaken) with the higher clock speed.

And for the case, if you want a dual loop, might i suggest you take a look at the Cooler Master ATCS 840 as well. Looks like it has the potential to house what you want without any modding NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster ATCS840 ATX Tower Case Black 6X5.25 6X3.5INT 1X3.5EXT Front USB Firewire eSATA Audio - RC-840-KKN1-GP In Canada.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah, the ATCS840 can house a triple rad up top with no modifications. Fitting in the extra dual rad might be a bit trickier, but there's a 230mm fan up front that you could probably remove for it. Coming from someone who owns both, you'll definitely appreciate how much lighter the ATCS is (aluminum) over the Obsidian (steel) for one thing.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old May 31, 2010, 08:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Theres also a section next to the HDD Caddy that holds 2x120mm fans. You sould possibly mount a 240 rad there!

And yeah ATCS is aluminum. Looks better and weighs alot less than 800D IMHO
Old May 31, 2010, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Think you should know that aluminum cases are usually louder than their steel counterparts but I'm not one to judge since I've had no experience with the ATCS

Old May 31, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the CPU use a 930. 920 are already out and if you don't want to OC then get the faster one. For the GPU I would go with 2X 5850 or 5870 instead of dual GPU card. That's a personnal choice but I have changed to many dual GPU card in my life to work with them again. from 3870 X2 to GTX 295. For the Ram. G.skill is a never wrong. The mobo is also nice. You can also look into EVGA one. ATCS 840 is a forever case. Just be sure of you rad when you buy it. I don't look for mine and now I haev a tripple rad that can't fit in my case. ( not the case fault ) my rad ain't standard...800D is also a pretty nice choice but you should concider some Silverstone like the TJ10 I think ( they have one that can fit quad rad inside. Pretty nice IMO. Good luck with the monster and give us some news!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 31, 2010, 02:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
Theres also a section next to the HDD Caddy that holds 2x120mm fans. You sould possibly mount a 240 rad there!

And yeah ATCS is aluminum. Looks better and weighs alot less than 800D IMHO
I forgot all about that
The ATCS definitely has what you need then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
For the CPU use a 930. 920 are already out and if you don't want to OC then get the faster one. For the GPU I would go with 2X 5850 or 5870 instead of dual GPU card. That's a personnal choice but I have changed to many dual GPU card in my life to work with them again. from 3870 X2 to GTX 295. For the Ram. G.skill is a never wrong. The mobo is also nice. You can also look into EVGA one. ATCS 840 is a forever case. Just be sure of you rad when you buy it. I don't look for mine and now I haev a tripple rad that can't fit in my case. ( not the case fault ) my rad ain't standard...800D is also a pretty nice choice but you should concider some Silverstone like the TJ10 I think ( they have one that can fit quad rad inside. Pretty nice IMO. Good luck with the monster and give us some news!
I think you wanted the TJ07. Another great contender.
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Temjin TJ07B-W Black E-ATX Aluminum Case 7X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Window - TJ07B-W In Canada.

Quite the 3-way chassis shootout here. 800D vs. ATCS vs. TJ07. I guess it'll come down to the silence factor for this build. Steel doesn't amplify component vibration noise as much as aluminum methinks, but I would imagine as long as you tried to isolate it at the source (silicone fan mounts, etc) you'd have about equal results with all of the above.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old May 31, 2010, 04:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow. Thanks for all of the responses.

I like the look of the black TJ07, but many reviews I've read have bad things to say about the fit and finish. Also, the HDs mount in alum cages with no room for vibration dampeners for 3.5" drives, and the thin alum makes it a noisy case.

Th ATCS is one that I had overlooked initially and I have to say that it looks pretty good. the only things I dislike about it is the fact that it is made from aluminum, and there is bare alum in the case. Of course, if A guy was serious he could paint it himself.

The only other case that I am really considering is the new HAF X which comes out in 2 weeks. HAF X - Cooler Master

Both the HAF X and Obsidians use large fans (quieter than small fans for equivalent airflow), both are black in and out, both are steel. The HAFX and 800d have hotswap bays..... I have no need for hotswap bays, nor do I need extra stuff blocking airflow. I also don't like the idea of having extra wiring (backplane + connectors) in between my HDs and MOBO. Just another component to fail.

700/800D:
+ looks good, but slightly boring IMO
+ Haven't seen anything beat it for cable management.
+ Good layout for watercooling.
- Mediocre airflow (again I'm watercooling anyway but still need some airflow)
+ Aluminum front panel rather than plastic
+ huge CPU rear access panel

HAFX:
= Styling is... perhaps a bit "busy" for my tastes but more than acceptable
+Great front panel with usb 3.0 and esata
- Stupid sliding cover for power button
+ side panels are "shaped" which makes them less prone to flexing/vibrating.
+ comes with wheels
- slightly smaller than obsidians

The 700d is so Dull... but I am leaning towards it. If I get it I will have to make my own windowed side panel. At least that way I can use 1/4" + Plexi to keep sound down.

I see that STEERS has the 800d. What is your opinion of the case?
Old June 2, 2010, 06:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The 800D was a pleasure to build in from start to finish. My last build was the first new machine I'd built for myself in over 8 years, and everything went so well that I'm now completely hooked again.

Temps on air with stock in the 800D were unremarkable, but with how easy it makes water cooling it's not that big a deal if you're headed that route anyway. One small change I actually needed to make with my setup is to flip the rear 140mm exhaust so it's actually an intake. I am using some pretty high airflow fans on my radiator, and air pressure differences actually interfered with the rear fan's function. I might end up looking for a replacement exhaust if I can find something that can keep up with my panaflos. If you're thinking about cooling your NB/MOSFETs as well (everything underwater) then I wouldn't really worry about any shortcomings that might exist with airflow in the 800D; it's more than adequate to keep everything cool

I guess if you don't need the hotswap bays (they're pretty gimmicky anyway) the 700D is a very viable alternative.

---
Old June 2, 2010, 11:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sweet! I am going to start ordering parts!