Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2010, 11:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, for the information of anyone considering something similar..... My 2k budget is not going to cut it

The only place I could find all of the water cooling gear I wanted was Performance PCs in the US. I ordered a few bits form NCIX also.

W/C:
2x Swiftech 655 - adjustable
EK dualtop dual loop with 2x 150ml res. + adapters.
1/2" tubing Blue and red + Bitspower compression fittings + swivel: 4x45s and 2x90s
EK supreme HF
EK RE3 Waterblock
XSPC RX360 + RX240
misc - anti kink coils, UV lights, rubber mounts, etc.

= approx. $1000 for cooling without a GPU cooler OOPS... lol It better be cold and quiet.

I have an Asus rampage 3 and an i7 930 on the way. I can't seem to find a 700d in Edmonton, and NCIX doesn't have em in stock. Might end up with an 800d or ordering from Newegg. Again, it's not the $30 difference, its just that I don't want hotswap drives, or the front door, and I'd rather not have the window showing below the divider...

Still undecided on memory or GPU.

I am thinking maybe a vertex 2 120gb OS HD and some WD green 2TBs in Raid1 to keep it quiet? any other quiet HD suggestions?
Old June 18, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

imo, the 800D looks better inside and out, but the CM ATCS is more functional for watercooling. I have an ATCS, and have never lifted a 800D.. I know mine is pretty heavy, i'd hate to see the weight of an 800D than! lol

as for 980x dropping substantially, I highly doubt that processor is going to drop - look at the history, most 'extreme' version of intel CPUs don't drop much after 6 months of release. Well, not until they are obsolete.

If you want a more silent PC - one trick I just read the other day on HWC, was a guy "hung" the pump off of his resevoir - just below it. I'm totally stealing that idea
Second would be noise-reducing paneling. I've used the fatmat car stuff in non-windowed cases before (it's silverish in color) - but it does raise internal temps in the aluminum chassis.. have to have good airflow. There are specific computer noise-reduction paneling - I find it to be a bit overpriced though.. I'd only use it in a windowed case.

If you use the noctua P12 fans, with ULN adapter, you wont hear them - great for low-noise systems. Other option is buying cheaper fans (cause Noctua's are expensive) and grabbing a fan controller.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 18, 2010, 03:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh, and as for the hitch about ATI being better than Nvidia - if you're doing rendering with offset to the video card.. you're going to regret the ATI card. I don't know much about it - my wife is the programmer/developer in the relationship - but anything CUDA related or whatever, that's the way to go.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 18, 2010, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the video card I would go with a single 5870. She is enough to play any game at max setting without a lag. And for the HDD, 120GB vertex for OS is perfect but I prefer using 2X 1tb blue from WD to store different data on each one. so I am sure to lose only a part of everything if one of my HD died.
Old June 18, 2010, 09:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I saw that same build with the pump hung from the res. a very good idea. seeing as how I'm using an ek dualtop, I think I might weld up a little stand for the pumps/res's that suspends the assembly by some type of elastic. You are right, the steel obsidian loaded up with a dual loop watercooling system is going to be ridiculously heavy. A good majority of the case will be lined with dynamat extreme (or some other non petroleum based equivalent) From automotive experience, the petroleum based sound absorbents smell quite bad when they get hot.

For a gpu... I have been reading tons of reviews and it seems that the new Nvidias are not as bad as some of the earlier articles I read made them out to be. But most reviews say that they generate a lot of heat. Plus, Like i mentioned, I had better luck with ATi than Nvidia, but from different gens of cards that doesn't mean much. I don't do too much rendering, but with my current card, even rotating 3d shapes in autocad is frustrating as the framerate drops to nothing.