Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2010, 01:19 PM
Rookie

Default I need help with an AMD/nVidia build.

Hey Hardware Canucks,

If found this site/forum while doing google researching a board for my next computer and I am glad I did because I really need advice.

When I build a computer I try to get the best of the best that is available, that way I don't have to worry about upgrading for about four years. I did this with my last two computers and it is time to upgrade again.

My issue is that I like to use AMD CPUs and nVidia GPUs. My first two GPUs were ATIs and there was always some sort of problem with drivers. On the machine I am using now I went with an 8800GT and have never had a problem. At the moment the best AMD cpu I can find is the X6 1090T at around CND$340 while the Intel equivalent is in the CND$1300 range (please correct me if I'm wrong) This price difference is extreme. Am I missing something?

Here is the problem I am having. I am considering a board with the AMD890fx chipset because it has SATA3 capability, but I will not be able to SLI if I decide to do so in the future (I probably will for the sake of PhysX if I find a need for it). Nobody seems to have released a Phenom X6 chipset that can support SLI and SATA3.

Losing hope,
Jaak

P.S. Also planning to use an SSD as a dedicated operating system / game storage drive with a secondary drive for everything else.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I will be using this PC primarily for gaming. Everything else is just regular computer use.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
My budget is $2000, give or take.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
I live in Canada.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
My brand preference is AMD CPU and nVidia graphics.
Will not use VIA, Gigabyte, ATI or WD because of bad experiences, unless convinced to do otherwise.
Prefer a motherboard manufactured by Asus.
Prefer Video card by EVGA.
No preference in ram manufacturer.
SSD, the faster the better. Thinking about the 60 gig range.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
DVD burner and sound card, that's it.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
NCIX. I started there and found it all too disorganised and very few people backed up their opinions.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I always run my system at default speeds.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
First half of June.

9. What resolution do you use?
1920x1080

Last edited by Jaak; May 30, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you want SLI and Phenom II X6 than this is one of the only boards capable of that. Newegg.ca - ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

I have no experience with this chipset though.
Old May 30, 2010, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have looked at that board before and dismissed it because of the lack of SATA3. Right now I am seriously considering the Asus Crosshair IV Formula and sacrificing the SLI.

Newegg.ca - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Old May 30, 2010, 01:43 PM
Banned
F@H

you might want to wait for a fermi refresh if you want an nvidia card. they are teh best, but quite the furnaces.

having a 2k budget doesnt mean blowing it all on cpu ram and mobo lol.

so basically you will game 90% of the time and at that resolution you would need either 5850/5870 or 470.480(furnaces :p )
Old May 30, 2010, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
you might want to wait for a fermi refresh if you want an nvidia card. they are teh best, but quite the furnaces.

having a 2k budget doesnt mean blowing it all on cpu ram and mobo lol.

so basically you will game 90% of the time and at that resolution you would need either 5850/5870 or 470.480(furnaces :p )
I am not sure what you mean by a "fermi refresh"

My budget plan is $500 for video card, $500 for CPU and $1000 ram/mobo/drives/power supply. Give or take of-course.

How is ATI doing with their drivers these days? How about hardware wise?
Old May 30, 2010, 02:25 PM
Banned
F@H

sorry, i meant the next cards. could be 6-12 months till we see something else.

500 is too much for a video card unless you need a duallie.
same with cpu, except an amd hexa or even quad is way cheaper.

ati is doing ok. both fronts. nothing major comes to mind.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

These threads always come up when I'm at work. When I get back, if nobody's posted a whole rig yet, I'll throw a list together for you. If you want, search through my old posts and you'll find a list I did for someone around the same budget.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 30, 2010, 06:01 PM
Rookie

I just finished talking to a friend that claims you do not need SLI in order to use a second video card for dedicated PhysX. Is he full of it?
Old May 30, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
I just finished talking to a friend that claims you do not need SLI in order to use a second video card for dedicated PhysX. Is he full of it?
He is correct. You can run a single NVIDIA card and have a secondary for PhysX in any 2 or more PCI-e slot motherboard to my knowledge.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 30, 2010, 06:18 PM
Banned
F@H

or ati + nvidia card for physx with a modded driver*