Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2010, 09:10 PM
Fallen HWCer

Default Project: Helios | concept and design

Hello everyone, Langer here.
I'm close to wrapping up my last mod - some of you may know about it, PrometheusCU.

Being that I'm all excited about modding again I spend yesterday planning out my next build; Helios.

Some of the more unique design considerations:
- Helios will be made entirely from plated 6mm thick aluminum
- The entire chassis construction will use no screws/nuts/bots/glue/fasteners/etc
- 90degree motherboard mounting format
- The motherboard will be exposed as the entire chassis is 'doughnut' shaped
- 2-watercooling loops with 4 radiators
- Extreme minimalist design will hide ALL non-essentials

I'll leave the rest to more-or-less speak for itself:

ISO View:

Exploded View:

Open side view with cooling loops and airflow:

Open side view with cooling loops:

Open side view:

Open top view:

Bottom view:

Parts schematic PDF:

One thing that I learned this past year, and a major focus in my life at the moment, is project management. What that means is that unlike PrometheusCU this project will be planned to the T before commencement, and it will have an incredibly rapid timeline... I'll also be building 3 of them.

All the drawings were done in illustrator.
The isometric view and the exploded view were created using a projection technique as old as time itself used in perspective drawing.

Please leave your comments, suggestions and considerations.

I'm still trying to decide what exotic material to plate this beast with - if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

There's a small chance that I may bite the bullet and build it out of pure Titanium. I've been speaking around, and would be able to aquire the necessary Titanium plates for only ~10% of retail.... unfortunately that's still about $2800 in raw metal costs alone.

Speak your minds, let me know what you think.

*j
Old May 29, 2010, 10:37 PM
Banned
F@H

nice. was a tad lazy to read the whole thing, but maxed out, what kinda weight are we looking at?

care to market later on? :)
Old May 30, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Instead of titanium woudn't is be nice to build it in glass fiber? just my opinion. But well Titanium is something that I never see before and could be kind of a WOW. Can't wait to see some result of the case and loop!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 30, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

I could only imagine it will be quite heavy. The material (alum.) is 6mm thick, and he will have four 120.3 rads. Those things add weight when filled.

This is going to be epic.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:11 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I heard that rad>res>pump>block works best. According to your diagram, it says pump>rad>res>block which may be counter intuitive. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old May 30, 2010, 09:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Man this thing looks like a beast! What are you NOT putting under water

Can't wait to see this evolve!
Old May 30, 2010, 10:45 AM
Fallen HWCer

Thanks for the comments guys.

As for a weight... no idea but it will be a lot. Seeing as prometheus will easily top the scales over 100lbs... I'm not worried about weight.

I want to build it from metal, because of the way I plan on fastening the panels together softer materials and composites would be very difficult. However if that fails the entire project will be built from the same 8mm thick carbon fiber armor panels I used for the base of Prometheus.

As for the loop, not sure who taught you to read arrows 0o0, but you got it a bit muddled. The loop does go Pump->Blocks->Res->Rad ;)

More soon
Old May 31, 2010, 11:34 AM
Fallen HWCer

Here's a preview of how it will be assembled.

Some parts fit together like a puzzle, while others will be fit together with steel dowel pins, press-fit and stealthed:

And here are the dimensions:
Old May 31, 2010, 05:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer View Post
As for the loop, not sure who taught you to read arrows 0o0, but you got it a bit muddled. The loop does go Pump->Blocks->Res->Rad ;)
oh alright my bad lol. How about placing the rad before the res? Or does it make no difference? Or is it easier to arrange the tubes this way? Did a quick sketch of what I had in mind with M$ paint :)
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2010, 09:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The thing that has me curious is the lack of screws/nuts/ adhesive etc. Will this be made from sheet and bent with a brake? Or are you bringin out the TIG?

Based on your excellent schematics, it is safe to assume you know better than I, but I have tried machining Ti before. It's definitely doable, but can be a bear sometimes where as something like 6061 is as good as modeling clay.

You say you will use "Plated" aluminum... Do you mean Plate aluminum? or are you going to anodize this bad boy?

Seriously cool concept man, very modern. Looking forward to seeing it come to life!