Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 11:03 PM
Rookie

Holy cow testies! this is intense, how much will this cost approximately?
Old June 1, 2010, 02:51 AM
Fallen HWCer

@0o0 - I arranged the tubes in that way because I plan on leaving a coil of excess wire and tubing inside the case to allow me to slide out the motherboard without disconnect. However it's not final and I am considering a number of options for revision2.0.

@dustin - Thanks for the comments mate. The fastening will work something like this LINK. If I use titanium it will be all laser cut - the MSRP on the titanium I would need is about $28,000USD. I found a source for about 10% of that, but I'm not certain just yet if it's the way to go. If I do use aluminum it will be plated with something exotic (tungsten carbide would be nice, but not sure if it's possible) or hard-anodized aluminum with some kind of funky rubberizing perhaps.

@Deamonsblood - Thank you, but as for cost... these are questions best left unanswered.
Old June 1, 2010, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer View Post
@dustin - Thanks for the comments mate. The fastening will work something like this LINK. If I use titanium it will be all laser cut - the MSRP on the titanium I would need is about $28,000USD.
$28,000?!?! Why not just buy a car and build a computer in there Man Jesse, what kind of money are you making?
Old June 1, 2010, 03:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
@0o0

the MSRP on the titanium I would need is about $28,000USD. I found a source for about 10% of that, but I'm not certain just yet if it's the way to go.
Whoa... what grade of Ti have you been looking at? Even if you had to get it from onlinemetals or somwhere in the USA, you could get a 24x24 sheet of .25" G2 Ti for 1k.

.25 is probably overkill though, 3/16 would be more than adequate. Depending on how much Ti you plan to use for internal bracketing etc, You could likely get away with 4-5 24x24 sheets plus the cost of the CNC laser/water cutting.
Old June 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
Fallen HWCer

I found a source for Grade 38 Ti for about 10% MSRP - this is a featherweight grade of Ti made for military armour applications.

Minimum thickness is 6mm - potentially using 8mm however; and I need 6 panels 26"x26" each.

As I said, materials are still up-in-the air.

investments aren't lost. These projects that I take on have landed me more jobs and opportunities that I could count. The seemingly extreme costs of PrometheusCU, for example, have been made back many times over by now.

Last edited by Langer; June 1, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I found a source for Grade 38 Ti for about 10% MSRP - this is a featherweight grade of Ti made for military armour applications.

Minimum thickness is 6mm - potentially using 8mm however; and I need 6 panels 26"x26" each.

As I said, materials are still up-in-the air.

investments aren't lost. These projects that I take on have landed me more jobs and opportunities that I could count. The seemingly extreme costs of PrometheusCU, for example, have been made back many times over by now.
$28K wont be lost Teach me the way of money!
Old June 2, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeesh guys, he said 10% OF $28,000. So $2,800. Not that bad for a custom case built like a tank ;)
Old June 2, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damn, thats some expensive material, aside from the fact that its bullet proof. is there any reason such a material would be used when similar metals can be found with almost the same qualities?

I'm half expecting carbon fiber and kevlar in your next build lol

Old June 2, 2010, 02:23 PM
Fallen HWCer

My father owns a carbon fiber manufacturing company, I've been using that shit all my life. I still think it's the bees knees, but it offers very little new excitements for me - I want to play.

I make my decisions on the properties of aesthetics and excitement alone. In the instance I choose Ti because it intrigues me, and I have a very cheap supplier.

Again... I say, no material decisions are final. I'm making this planning post to get advice and suggestions. Not to bring my delusional spending habits to the limelight. ;)
Old June 5, 2010, 11:11 AM
Fallen HWCer

I'd like to invite everyone who is interested to follow me on my Facebook page.

Of course I will still be updating on the forums, and on my website, however the JLI Facebook page will be the best source for up-to the minute updates on my projects (new and old), exclusive info, and prize details.

JLI Facebook Page

*j