Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   $800 Gaming Build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/32533-800-gaming-build.html)

Mr.Blah May 27, 2010 09:07 AM

$800 Gaming Build

Hi HWC guys, hopefully you can help me.

A little info first, this will be my first computer build but I do know my way round a case thanks to somehow becoming my families IT guy. Must of my computering has been done from my laptop for the last couple years but now I would like to get a bit more serious into PC gaming since my laptop just can't do the trick for the new stuff.
----------------------
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming is the priority right now, and then of course regular stuff. I might be using it a a media server for the time being as well until I get a stand alone unit.

It would be great if I could run some drafting programs on it eventually as I'll be starting engineering next year as well but its not a biggy right now.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Looking for around $800 before an OS. I'm mostly looking for bang for buck and upgradability. So skimping on the CPU or GPU for a better PSU and mobo right now is fine.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada :canadianwave:

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.

I'm mostly looking at AMD and ATI, its not really a preference thing I just have been researching them more. I don't think I'd be willing to go the i5 route right now but I am open to nvidia.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I can also skip the optical drive if I have to as I have an external dvd burner I can use.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes, that's what I've been doing all day haha.

7. IF YOU plan on
overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Yes I would like to overclock if possible

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

In the next two weeks.

9. What resolution do you use?

1080p(monitor) or 720p(HDTV)

----------------
I'll be doing most of my shopping through NCIX (just because I'm mostly familiar with them and pricematching), I'm also fine with newegg and I am willing to order one or two parts from other places.

So far I've been looking at a 720 Black and 5770 combo for the heart of the system, but I would like a proper 4 core CPU.

two places I'm really lost are the mobo and case, as I just have no idea. So far I've come up with the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 and the Antec 300.

Thanks everyone who read this!

_dangtx_ May 27, 2010 10:51 AM

5850, you can do it.
240/250 duallie on a cheap but good clocking giga board, you can get an x4 620/630 if you really need the quad.
good corsair psu. 4 gigs of ram(ddr2-3)
antec 300..at that price id get an nzxt.

Mr.Blah June 2, 2010 02:55 PM

Thanks for the reply dangtx :thumb:

After doing a bit more looking around at others builds I've so far come up with this:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (or a 720 X3 could still be possible)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-128000
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770
HDD: WD Black 640GB or 1TB
Heatsink and thermal paste: CM Hyper 212+ and Arctic Silver
Case: Antec 300 + some case fans
PSU: I'm undecided, but I'll probably just pick something made by Corsair or Seasonic in the 500-650 range (modular would be nice too, any suggestions?)

After Windows 7, shipping and handling, and assembly I'm hoping to stay under $900, with the sale tonight and price matching I thing I should be able to. It would also be nice to get another win 7 disk for my laptop and a good wireless router, but those can wait.

Any comments or criticisms are welcome!

Oh and would ncix be willing to partition the hard drive the way I want if I get them to put it together?
I'm looking to upgrade to SSD in the future and it would be nice If I could get the OS on a smaller partition to make it easier.

_dangtx_ June 2, 2010 03:05 PM

you are lacking gpu wise.1920x1080 needs 5850 and above for newer games. older games from a year or more wil lfly(with some exceptions)

take from cpu+mobo and allocate it to gpu.

corsair anything is good. try 500 watts for a single card, 600 or above for two.

Mr.Blah June 2, 2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 386118)
you are lacking gpu wise.1920x1080 needs 5850 and above for newer games. older games from a year or more wil lfly(with some exceptions)

take from cpu+mobo and allocate it to gpu.

corsair anything is good. try 500 watts for a single card, 600 or above for two.

Most of the games I own were bought with my laptop in mind, so really the most graphically demanding game I play at the moment is Fallout 3. I also have a huge backlog of games to pick from so I'm fine putting off the latest and greatest for next year when I can upgrade the CPU and GPU and get an SSD.

Thanks again.

gambel626 June 2, 2010 03:16 PM

For a power supply I would suggest to get a silverstone strider 750w. I know its a bit over the power you're looking for but it's fully modular, and comes in pmed just over 106.00. Everything else looks fine. You don't really need to buy the artic silver because the 212 already comes with some thermal compound.

_dangtx_ June 2, 2010 03:44 PM

hmm..not sure what fallout needs, but by the looks of it(laptop playable) then the 5770 might be it, or too much? :) look up used section, sometimes you find great deals(ive seen 5770 for 120 a couple of times here(i think) and elsewhere)

Mr.Blah June 2, 2010 10:27 PM

Ended up buying it tonight with a WD 640 and a Seasonic M12II 520W.
Total after pricematch, shipping and taxes came to just above $900.

Now I just have to wait. In the meantime I'll be reading up on some guides to prepare.

Thanks everyone!