Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Cool New i7/Fermi Build

Looking at a new build as my current is aging, will give old one to my brother.

1. Gaming,light movie/photo editing,folding,surfing etc.

2. $1800-$2000 CAD (would like to be as low as possible)

3. Canada

4. ASUS&EVGA fan (old computer used these and extremely reliable)

5. None(Giving old computer to my brother)

6. Yes, quite informed on new hardware.

7. OC FTW! Memory, CPU and GPU if possible.

8. Before end of June.

9. 1680x1050(22")

Current List:

Intel i7-930 & Asus P6X58D-E: $509.98
EVGA GTX 470 SC+: $396.49
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB DDR3-1600 7-7-7-20: $199.99
Corsair 750HX PSU: $159.99
WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA III: $59.99
Coolermaster HAF 932: $149.99
Prolimatech Mega Shadow: $75.99
2x CM R4 Fans: $17.98
ASUS 24x DVD Writer w/ LS: $29.99
Windows 7 HP 64-bit: $89.99
Arctic Cooling MX-2: $9.99
Asus PCE-N31 Wireless Network Adapter: $29.34

Total:$1729.71 CAD

Any thoughts? I bought the GTX 470 so I can do SLI in about 6 months when I have more money, apparently they scale really well.

Last edited by Stensby; May 24, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:05 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

Don't know the pricing for those parts, but they seem reasonable. Here's a way to save some money on windows and your hard drive.

Search results for: 'GFC00599 GFC00564'
WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB SATA 6GB S DESKTOP STORAGE 7200 RPM 64 MB CACHE BARE

Switch out the Xigmatek Dark Knight to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+

PSU isn't powerful enough if you plan to SLI GTX 470. Go for the Corsair HX850. Newegg.ca - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Btw, where are you buying from? Don't forget to price match!

Oh I haven't heard anything about the ASUS DVD burners, so I'd go with LG, Lite-On, or Samsung instead.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

Get another wd black 640gb to raid 0, very worth it and I have a set myself. You could get an ssd which would significantly boost the 'snappiness' of the PC, but you won't get any more raw power and ssd's die in 5 years or something, in theory. Also in theory, the haf932 sucks for air cooling and imo looks fugly. My friend got the 932 on boxing day and I got the 922, we both think mine looks better when everything has been installed, and neither of us are watercooled. The 932 was built was watercooling, moving the air around with fans in such a big case would require lots of power. Replace that mx-2 with the mx-3 that's on sale right now. You MUST replace the Dark Knight, either with a TRUE black or a Venomous X, or even a nh-d14. As for cpu fan, I recommend Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm or nf-p12 if you're rich and don't mind brownies in your case. For case fans, anything would do but I've heard good things about CM's R4 fans.

I don't believe in wireless, I don't have a single wireless node in my house. I didn't know asus even made wireless adapters. Can't help you there.

BTW you better not actually buy the items at the prices you actually listed, they can be had for a LOT less. Especially if you buy used. For example, I'm selling a i7 920 for $220 right now

EDIT: got ninja'ed by Geokilla and because of some 'new' forum rules, we are forbidden to post 2 consecutive posts other than for bumping BST threads, so here's the edit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Don't know the pricing for those parts, but they seem reasonable. Here's a way to save some money on windows and your hard drive.

Search results for: 'GFC00599 GFC00564'
WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB SATA 6GB S DESKTOP STORAGE 7200 RPM 64 MB CACHE BARE

Switch out the Xigmatek Dark Knight to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Those prices are a 'tad' on the expensive side.
The hdd is worth exactly 60 bucks as of today.
Hyper 212+ absolutly SUCKS, don't listen to that. It's like a worm and it has infected Geokilla, the hyper 212+ has been over-hyped, you won't be overclocking that 930 much with a hyped up hyper 212+. AKG's review makes the hyper 212+ look like god or something.... really, a $20 cooler performing on par with $60 coolers? I call completely biased review, AKG used the stock fan which moves a ton of air and is very loud, which was not a fair review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
PSU isn't powerful enough if you plan to SLI GTX 470. Go for the Corsair HX850. Newegg.ca - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Btw, where are you buying from? Don't forget to price match!
HX750 is very well adequate for dual 470's, though hx850 may be more efficient by a few percents, hovering around 83-85% efficiency. FYI the hx750 was onsale for $100 after MIR a few months ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Oh I haven't heard anything about the ASUS DVD burners, so I'd go with LG, Lite-On, or Samsung instead.
I wouldn't. I have an ASUS, it kicks those godamn Samsung pieces of to the curb. It's by no means quiet and it's not the best performing drive, but it produces nearly no noticable vibration at all compared to my other opty's, which is good for the hdd. Yes I've had a bad experience with a DOA samsung drive and a crappy samsung TV, my only 2 ever and last samsung products.

Last edited by 0o0; May 24, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:13 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Don't know the pricing for those parts, but they seem reasonable. Here's a way to save some money on windows and your hard drive.

Search results for: 'GFC00599 GFC00564'
WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB SATA 6GB S DESKTOP STORAGE 7200 RPM 64 MB CACHE BARE

Switch out the Xigmatek Dark Knight to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+

PSU isn't powerful enough if you plan to SLI GTX 470. Go for the Corsair HX850. Newegg.ca - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Btw, where are you buying from? Don't forget to price match!

Oh I haven't heard anything about the ASUS DVD burners, so I'd go with LG, Lite-On, or Samsung instead.
All prices are price matched on NCIX from various sites.
I will use Bewawa to price match, thanks.
Is the 212+ better than the dark knight? I love the looks of the dark knight!
According to the extreme PSU calc I need a 690W PSU for GTX 470 SLI?
I used the ASUS in my last build, worked great and DVD burners never have huge differences anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Get another wd black 640gb to raid 0, very worth it and I have a set myself. You could get an ssd which would significantly boost the 'snappiness' of the PC, but you won't get any more raw power and ssd's die in 5 years or something, in theory. Also in theory, the haf932 sucks for air cooling and imo looks fugly. My friend got the 932 on boxing day and I got the 922, we both think mine looks better when everything has been installed, and neither of us are watercooled. The 932 was built was watercooling, moving the air around with fans in such a big case would require lots of power. Replace that mx-2 with the mx-3 that's on sale right now. You MUST replace the Dark Knight, either with a TRUE black or a Venomous X, or even a nh-d14. As for cpu fan, I recommend Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm or nf-p12 if you're rich and don't mind brownies in your case. For case fans, anything would do but I've heard good things about CM's R4 fans.

I don't believe in wireless, I don't have a single wireless node in my house. I didn't know asus even made wireless adapters. Can't help you there.

BTW you better not actually buy the items at the prices you actually listed, they can be had for a LOT less. Especially if you buy used. For example, I'm selling a i7 920 for $220 right now
The HAF 932 is the BEST air cooling case, where are you getting your info from. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think the military style of the 932 looks very cool. Was looking for a cheap air cooler and those are all very pricey for little to no performance difference, will consider the hyper 212+ though. I need wireless as my house has no Ethernet and the cable modem is in the furnace room . The MX-3 is a great idea though.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:18 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensby View Post
The HAF 932 is the BEST air cooling case, where are you getting your info from.
OK you're right I'm wrong you win
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:21 PM
Lpfan4ever's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,763

My System Specs

Default

First, ditch the Mushkin RAM. Mushkin makes great stuff, but basically, RAM is RAM. Get a good set of G.Skills, like the Tridents, at a much lower price. Those Mushkins have tight timings, but unless you're benchmarking, you're not going to even notice it over a Cas7 or Cas8 set. Hell, I can't tell a difference when I run my RAM at Cas10.
Secondly, that cooler NEEDS to be switched out. It's dated and better can be had for cheaper. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ can be had for $22 pricematched, and you can get two Cooler Master R4 fans to go with it at, I believe, $4.95 a piece. Keeps my i7 overclocked to 3.8GHz with stupid high crappy voltages under 80C when folding. If you're looking for more extreme air cooling though, take a look at the Megahalems. It sits around $60 though, without fans. I'd still suggest R4's, but someone who has experience whith that cooler can suggest something else that may work better.
With your corncerns above Geokilla, about the Asus burner, I have the same one (I'm guessing by the price) and it's quiet, short, and works very well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp
I don't know, maybe if you get a big enough compacticator you can put it in your butt and name yourself "sexbuttplug"...
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
...
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...


Last edited by Lpfan4ever; May 24, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:24 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
With your corncerns above 0o0, about the Asus burner, I have the same one (I'm guessing by the price) and it's quiet, short, and works very well.
I know, I wasn't concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
Lpfan4ever's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,763

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I know, I wasn't concerned.
Yay me failing to read properly. Sorry about that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp
I don't know, maybe if you get a big enough compacticator you can put it in your butt and name yourself "sexbuttplug"...
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
...
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Get another wd black 640gb to raid 0, very worth it and I have a set myself. You could get an ssd which would significantly boost the 'snappiness' of the PC, but you won't get any more raw power and ssd's die in 5 years or something, in theory. Also in theory, the haf932 sucks for air cooling and imo looks fugly. My friend got the 932 on boxing day and I got the 922, we both think mine looks better when everything has been installed, and neither of us are watercooled. The 932 was built was watercooling, moving the air around with fans in such a big case would require lots of power. Replace that mx-2 with the mx-3 that's on sale right now. You MUST replace the Dark Knight, either with a TRUE black or a Venomous X, or even a nh-d14. As for cpu fan, I recommend Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm or nf-p12 if you're rich and don't mind brownies in your case. For case fans, anything would do but I've heard good things about CM's R4 fans.

I don't believe in wireless, I don't have a single wireless node in my house. I didn't know asus even made wireless adapters. Can't help you there.

BTW you better not actually buy the items at the prices you actually listed, they can be had for a LOT less. Especially if you buy used. For example, I'm selling a i7 920 for $220 right now

EDIT: got ninja'ed by Geokilla and because of some 'new' forum rules, we are forbidden to post 2 consecutive posts other than for bumping BST threads, so here's the edit...


Those prices are a 'tad' on the expensive side.
The hdd is worth exactly 60 bucks as of today.
Hyper 212+ absolutly SUCKS, don't listen to that. It's like a worm and it has infected Geokilla, the hyper 212+ has been over-hyped, you won't be overclocking that 930 much with a hyped up hyper 212+. AKG's review makes the hyper 212+ look like god or something.... really, a $20 cooler performing on par with $60 coolers? I call completely biased review, AKG used the stock fan which moves a ton of air and is very loud, which was not a fair review.


HX750 is very well adequate for dual 470's, though hx850 may be more efficient by a few percents, hovering around 83-85% efficiency. FYI the hx750 was onsale for $100 after MIR a few months ago...


I wouldn't. I have an ASUS, it kicks those godamn Samsung pieces of to the curb. It's by no means quiet and it's not the best performing drive, but it produces nearly no noticable vibration at all compared to my other opty's, which is good for the hdd. Yes I've had a bad experience with a DOA samsung drive and a crappy samsung TV, my only 2 ever and last samsung products.
I'm not basing the recommendation on just the HWC review. Here's another showing how good the Cooler Master is.

Cooler Master Hyper 212: Looking for a Winner - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

I seem to have ninja'ed two people today

I'll let the others chime in as well. However, I stick with what I said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Yay me failing to read properly. Sorry about that.
ahh ok lol no problemo
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
asus , evga , gtx 470 , i7 932 , new build

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stanford looking for Fermi testers chrisk HardwareCanucks F@H Team 2 May 6, 2010 07:09 AM
again more delay with the Fermi MarkOne Rumor Mill 101 March 26, 2010 03:37 PM
More problem with Fermi [SA] MarkOne Rumor Mill 29 March 13, 2010 08:46 PM
Fermi benchmarking controversy MrDeodorant Video Cards 9 March 4, 2010 04:08 PM