Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20, 2010, 06:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Out with the old, in with the New

Well it would appear its time for a new gaming build.
I am currently running a crappy intel cpu and was looking at turning to the AMD side of things

I am interested in the new Hexa-Core CPUs but I am also curious as to what the two models differ in other than a $100 price mark. I see they have different GHz but is that worth the price difference?
Any other recommendations are definitely encouraged

As well I will be needing a new Mobo, I really like the Gigabyte GA-890-FXA-UD5 and have a love for gigabyte mobos so that would be my pick unless you can sway me lol

Now for my noob question, I'm currently running a GTX 275, now will this still work with my new setup or will I need to go Radeon?
Thanks guys

Airw4ves,

Last edited by Airw4ves; May 20, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The $100 difference between the 1055T and the 1090T is that the 1090T has an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking and has slightly higher base clocks.

And yes your GTX 275 will work.

-Plato
Old May 20, 2010, 07:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

First of all, welcome to HWC

Gigabyte makes some fine motherboards. I think that'll do you just fine. There'll be no problem with running your 275 on that board, unless you're thinking of going SLI (afaik, AMD chipsets only support Crossfire, though I'm no expert on AMD chips anymore).

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old May 20, 2010, 07:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airw4ves View Post
Well it would appear its time for a new gaming build.
I am currently running a crappy intel cpu and was looking at turning to the AMD side of things

I am interested in the new Hexa-Core CPUs but I am also curious as to what the two models differ in other than a $100 price mark. I see they have different GHz but is that worth the price difference?
Any other recommendations are definitely encouraged,
if you prefer an unlocked multiplier, than it just might be the thing to do

Quote:
As well I will be needing a new Mobo, I really like the Gigabyte GA-890-FXA-UD5 and have a love for gigabyte mobos so that would be my pick unless you can sway me lol,
never used a giga before, but it does look good and has lots of features, so i'm not gonna try to sway you from it

Quote:
Now for my noob question, I'm currently running a GTX 275, now will this still work with my new setup or will I need to go Radeon?
unless you wanna run a multi-GPU solution, yes you will have to ditch it. none of the 800 chipset boards can run sli. for a single gpu solution your fine
Old May 20, 2010, 07:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the welcome :)

Well Im glad I dont need to buy a new VC....yet :P

As for the CPU, I was also wondering if going X6 is really worth it compared to the X4 965 Black Edition, its got 3.4GHz and yeah its 2 less cores, but is 4 cores enough?

Gah, Im torn between the two

Damn, now I need to think about Ram too :(
Old May 20, 2010, 08:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
As for the CPU, I was also wondering if going X6 is really worth it compared to the X4 965 Black Edition, its got 3.4GHz and yeah its 2 less cores, but is 4 cores enough?
I would recommend sticking with your current CPU. 4 cores is enough AND you got the unlocked multiplier, so just do a little overclock and you should be good to go
Old May 20, 2010, 08:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Sounds good to me

Now for Ram, heres where i honestly have no idea what to buy
Any ideas?
Old May 20, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ram -G.Skill.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

How about this? Customer Reviews Of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM