Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 05:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Memory market, sigh too many choices, or is there?

OK ok ok hate to have to ask this but, I have to, sigh. asus crosshair IV, I know of the asus website memory updates for the "safe" asus recommended memory, blah blah whatever

2kmhz memory would love to have 16gigs with this board but.... would that even be worth it just for playing games? all the video memory is on the video cards anyways.

question is... what 2k mhz memory is recommended for AMD? Ive been shopping and all I ever see is tested and built for Intel, I just can't seem to put this to rest in my head even tho I know just about any memory will work with AMD, but now the 890 chipsets, Ive heard lots about memory issues lately, whats up with that?

and will any memory work? meaning brand... latency
shouldnt be too picky, its only ddr3 dual channel stuff
Old May 11, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Memory market

Hi. I spoke to someone at one of the best memory manufacturers recently and he said that only a handful of boards can get and maintain 2k Mhz. He also explained that 1866 seems to be best suited for 1366 boards. Perhaps you can do the same as I did and send a query to any of the manufacturers that you like. I realize that they'll promote their product, but anyone with lifetime warranty should be good. I myself have used Corsair, Patriot and Mushkin. Rigvht now I prefer Mushkin, but that's my preference. If anyone gives you good info without pushing their product, well that says a lot to me. Good luck with your choice.

For AMD, there could well be a favoured choice and if anyone could tell you, it's the good folks here.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Corsair for reliability/good service, haven't had good experiences trying to overclock them though.
Mushkin/G.Skill for overclocking/reliability, never had a problem with either brand.

JMO.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Good point, well the heads up is pretty grim, ive hit up patriot, mushkin and gail about it, Patriot promised that if the memory I choose doesnt perform they will refund my money, lame. altho confidant. Mushkin said I should refer to the manufacturers recommended memory, sigh, and gail doesnt speak english apparently, yet, well let you know.

I just find its odd that the memory manufacturers only test theyre product with intel, OCZ has dipped into the AMD market a bit but that memory is backordered to the point of pure frustration.

I'm going to go with Patriot as I've had zero problems with theyre memory before with AMD, but It's that simple question that bugs me, what is recommended "for" AMD? sigh
Would love to get a straight answer to that one....
Old May 11, 2010, 06:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

AHH yes the Mushkin redline would be nice, but im too stubborn I guess, trying to stick with the asus list of recommended memory, the list is horri-bad, nothing on the list can be clockered except the patriot, but Patriot is tested only on Intel GRRRR
Old May 11, 2010, 06:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

16gb is overkill. 4GB is plenty, but if you want to stick to dual channel and still be excessive without being ludicrous, 8GB is a nice a middle. Besides, 4gb sticks/8gb kits are WAY more expensive.

You should be fine with whatever memory you decide to go with. The only brand I've heard compatibility problems with more than most is OCZ.
The most common RAM problem I hear of is voltage problems, but the Crosshair is a high end board, should have all kinds of options.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

16 gb of memory would be nice, not saying its a must, but my curiosity is killin me on that one, would love to see the difference if any at all, realistically and probably soon to happen is 4x2gb Patriot 1600mhz viper stuff
Old May 11, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thumbs up New Builds

I thought I posted another reply but hit the wrong button I guess. I couldn't find any 4gb sticks at 2k Mhz. Found some 4gb sticks @ 1600 though. Be sure to let us know what you choose, I'm curious to see. If you get 16gb of memory, try 8, then 16 and let us know the difference. I'm getting 12gb of triple channel Mushkin 1866, so I'll be trying 6 and 12. Sounds like you're gonna have a beast!!! Enjoy.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm currently running 4X sticks of the GSkill Pi 2G 1600 6-7-6-24 sticks at 1600 7-8-7-24 without any problems. I had to throw it together quickly to get it back into the CC so I suspect there's a lot more room on them, but I'll have to take the time to bench/stresstest before I can tighten them up.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 11, 2010, 09:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree that 16GB is probably overkill, but I'm sitting here with 12GB of ram. I just refuse to go from 8GB of ram on my 775 board to 6 on my 1366 board.

Idle right now Im using 7.19GB, god damn firefox is a memory hog (4.5gb). Oh, sorry, watching a 1080p Oceans 12 on VLC is taking 1.5gb as well. So if I closed those for 'real' idle I would be using like... 1.19. But to me, this is idle as those two programs are always running.