Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2010, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Default First time game rig

I decided to built my first PC and i would love get some feedback,id like to know what everyone thinks.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Everything was purchase from NCIX.

CPU-Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache

MOBO-Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 4PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 Sound GLAN CrossFireX SLI Motherboard

RAM-OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit

Power supply-Seasonic SS-600ET 600W EPS12V 24PIN ATX Power Supply PFC 80PLUS Bronze 6PIN 8PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan

HD-Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive

OS- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD

Vid card-Radeon HD 5770 850MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.8GHZ PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI Display Port

Only things i may change in the furture is the Vid card and the HD, but other than that does this look decent for my first pc build?

Total price is $1367,00 including extended warrenty,shipping and tax

Old May 7, 2010, 11:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Parts look good. What case are you building it in?
Old May 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
Banned
F@H

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE IT FOR?

damn caps :p

go by percentages, like 80% gaming,etc etc
Old May 7, 2010, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE IT FOR?

damn caps :p

go by percentages, like 80% gaming,etc etc
90% gaming 10% movies,Only game i play mainly is World of warcrap and thats about it really.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$1367 is kinda on the pricey side for that build. Price match, and forget the extended warranties.

Get a non oem Seasonic or a Corsair/Antec branded one, better warranty at the same price with the power cable included.
Warranties on the CPU and motherboard will be long enough, unless you plan on doing a lot of stupid things to your computer.
WD warranties for their HDDs are 5 years so you should be fine there.
PM an XFX 5770 for $150-$160, I'd suggest the reference design with the reference cooler. You get a double lifetime warranty.
I can't recall any ram manufacturers that don't offer a lifetime warranty, so you should be good there. Might wanna get some cheaper GSkills though.

Are you planning on doing crossfire? If you aren't, the X58 build is a huge waste and a huge premium you don't need to be paying.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Parts look good. What case are you building it in?
NZXT LEXA S ATX Mid Tower Case Black 4X5.25 7X3.5INT Front USB Audio eSATA No PS
Old May 7, 2010, 12:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
$1367 is kinda on the pricey side for that build. Price match, and forget the extended warranties.

Get a non oem Seasonic or a Corsair/Antec branded one, better warranty at the same price with the power cable included.
Warranties on the CPU and motherboard will be long enough, unless you plan on doing a lot of stupid things to your computer.
WD warranties for their HDDs are 5 years so you should be fine there.
PM an XFX 5770 for $150-$160, I'd suggest the reference design with the reference cooler. You get a double lifetime warranty.
I can't recall any ram manufacturers that don't offer a lifetime warranty, so you should be good there. Might wanna get some cheaper GSkills though.

Are you planning on doing crossfire? If you aren't, the X58 build is a huge waste and a huge premium you don't need to be paying.
I might plan on useing the crossfire option down the road but as of right now not really.I guess the idea for me when i built this pc was i wanted to get everything pretty well rounded with minimul upgrading in the near future,just so that when i do upgrade it will be a huge difference rather than small.Certain things i may replace sooner than later such as the Hd and the Vid card but other that,my overall budget was $1600 bucks canadien so i could have gotten some more things added to it.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd advise against that case if it's your first time building a system. I personally have that case, it looks nice after your done, but the cable management is a nightmare. There's no clearance from the top fans to the motherboard, the cable management holes are too small and the rubber grommets are stiff and break easily, clearance from the bottom of the motherboard to the PSU is pretty bad too. Wasn't a huge deal for me, it just took a lot longer than expected, but since it's your first time, go for something like a Lian Li/Antec/Cooler Master.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I'd advise against that case if it's your first time building a system. I personally have that case, it looks nice after your done, but the cable management is a nightmare. There's no clearance from the top fans to the motherboard, the cable management holes are too small and the rubber grommets are stiff and break easily, clearance from the bottom of the motherboard to the PSU is pretty bad too. Wasn't a huge deal for me, it just took a lot longer than expected, but since it's your first time, go for something like a Lian Li/Antec/Cooler Master.
Ok,im going to look into that.I never actually put much thought into the case to be honest,but ill take your advise.Thank you

EDIT:Did that case have good air flow also? or did it seem kinda crowded for the most part?

Last edited by govi; May 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:19 PM
Banned
F@H

ok..save your cash, go amd dual/quad if you need. with the leftovers get a 5850, altough im not sure what that game requires.