Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Help me, new build for my Dad...professional applications? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/31603-help-me-new-build-my-dad-professional-applications.html)

Delavan May 1, 2010 06:44 PM

Help me, new build for my Dad...professional applications?

Hi all!

It's a special situation so I need your advice, especially those of you using computers for computer intensive tasks (other than gaming).

I'm fine to build custom gaming rigs, and I SWEAR that I wasn't supposed to get involved in a build for a computer "neophyte" anymore... I hate their second guessing based on others opinions....

Anyway, my dad, now retired, used to be a professional editor for the government. Making custom and official forms mostly and using ADOBE software like Pagemaker, Quarkxpress and stuff.
At the time Mackintosh computers were the way to go (or so they were saying). The rigs with the most RAM and SCSI backup drives were the norm...and they were convinced that this was what they needed, period.

Anyway, my dad wants a new rig to replace his old P4 crapiola. He wants (or so I assume) get back in the groove...not professionally, but I think he needs a powerful machine so he does his picture editing stuff while feeling he's using a monster of a rig...The problem is...he thinks FUTUREPROOF also :doh:...We all know it's gonna turn into a mess.

This is what I think:

-Phenom II X6 1055T at stock clocks (might be useful in 5 years to have 6 cores, lol)
-Gigabyte or ASUS mobo with 890GX chipset (he's not a gamer, but might like to watch a HD content, HDMI is important), SATA3, USB3 and stuff...firewire...
-128GB SSD for the bottleneck removal, impression of speed, all that stuff (money is no object) and a 500GB HDD for storage.
-8 GB of RAM...so he has more than most, so it feels like "back in the day...I got more RAM than you:punk:".
-good case for good cooling, low noise, 120mm fans and a good PSU (thinking Antec 300, good quiet fans and a Seasonic M12II 520watts PSU on sale).
-Window 7 64 bits

Seems a little too much for his applications, although money is not an object. He'll probably keep this computer forever, his actual rig is in service for 7 years. that's why I picked more cores, more RAM, so he's happy, thinks he's got a beast, and he won't need to upgrade down the road.

What do you think? I was thinking Athlon II X4 630/4 gig/785G-based mobo and Antec sonata, then call it quits...but who know, he might talk to some old fanboi (lots of programmers and computer analysts from work) from back in the day, epeen up the hoop, and he needs something that will look solid.

Again, I'm really comfortable with building gaming rigs, but for his "editing" stuff I don't know...

Thanks for reading this!

ilya May 1, 2010 07:03 PM

Here's a better PSU at a nice price. Best consumer level PSU on the market can be good for the epeen.:thumb:

Get him a really pro looking full tower, even better for the epeen.:bananafunky:

Considered Intel? But then you'll need a video card for quad-hexa core builds.

_dangtx_ May 1, 2010 07:16 PM

looks like youre good to go, corsair of course for psu

SneakySnake May 1, 2010 08:37 PM

Yea, I'd recommend pretty much what you've got there.

Only possible suggestion would be a bigger SSD to fit all of his user stuff on (media and documents). I've got a 256 GB SSD in my laptop and everything is on the SSD, and the computer really feels extremely fast, cuz everything loads in/launches at about half the time of my homebuild, despite the laptop having way lower specs.

Delavan May 1, 2010 09:14 PM

Thanks for the advices!

Yes the SSD is definately a critical item of that rig.

For the PSU, a Corsair could fit the bill or a Seasonic 80+, something of that nature.
I could go for a Antec P18*-series case, for the look/sound dampening.
The whole thing is not really for epeen, but to prevent any kind of "I should've listened to".

Intel was considered, but as he doesn't need a dedicated graphics card, I just chose the best integrated GFX solution....AMD HD4290 GFX chip onboard

jcmaz May 1, 2010 10:54 PM

Just get the Gelid Silent PWM fans. They are hella quiet and shoot out alot of air.

As for epeen, get 2 CM R4's with green led for intake :)
Chuck out the 140mm tri cool and opt for the Xigmatek 140mm fans :)

i think you forgot a CM 212+ for CPU cooling.

And maybe a custom sidewindow with LED lights?

LaughingCrow May 2, 2010 12:01 PM

The extra memory is always a plus for Adobe applications.

You don't mention monitors (or video cards). He might want to consider dual monitors if he likes to have a lot of palettes open, so you'll want to take a better look at the video card.

The better monitors like the Dell 2209WA (IPS) have much wider viewing angle, full 8 bit color depth . Besides good swivel, tilt and height adjustments, it can rotate 90 degrees for portrait document creation. The 2209WA is often on sale as low as $209.00 The IPS (In Plane Switching) type generally have slower response times.

The more common monitor today is the TN (Twisted Nematic) type but only has 6 bit color depth but with a faster response time that's good for general use, gaming and movies but a narrower viewing angle.

Monitor types: TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Delavan May 2, 2010 12:46 PM

Thanks for the RAM comment. I wasn't really comfortable recommending 8 Gig.

On the monitor side of things, I dunno if he's planning to upgrade his 17" 4X3 LCD...
I think he's just a little "nostalgic" of the old days. He's got a ATI 9800PRO. I put it in his computer myself, because I had it laying around. Other than that , he's rig was plain jane.

Two monitors...never though of that. I'll see if he's interested. I'd need a GFX card with 2 X DVI + 1 HDMI (like a HD5830????) too much monies for a non-gamer.

jcmaz May 2, 2010 02:46 PM

Don't some Adobe software use CUDA? If so, why not get your Dad a Nvidia card. I think most GTX 2 series come with 2 dvi and 1 hdmi plug..

LaughingCrow May 3, 2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delavan (Post 371691)
Thanks for the RAM comment. I wasn't really comfortable recommending 8 Gig.

On the monitor side of things, I dunno if he's planning to upgrade his 17" 4X3 LCD...
I think he's just a little "nostalgic" of the old days. He's got a ATI 9800PRO. I put it in his computer myself, because I had it laying around. Other than that , he's rig was plain jane.

Two monitors...never though of that. I'll see if he's interested. I'd need a GFX card with 2 X DVI + 1 HDMI (like a HD5830????) too much monies for a non-gamer.

I just measured an old 17" CRT monitor (4 x 3) the screen is actually only 13" wide.
The Dell 2209WA that I'm typing this on, rated as a 22" (diagonal) is actually 18 3/4" wide. So just upgrading to a single wide screen monitor is going to be a lot more screen area to work on assuming he's doing landscape documents. Once you work on a wide screen going back to an old 4 x 3 monitor is difficult.

Many of the graphics programs have a lot of palettes that can clutter up the screen and a lot of people like one monitor as the work area with the second monitor for the palettes. Another use for multiple monitors would be when 2 or more graphic programs are used frequently - i.e. if he switches between Quark/InDesign to Photoshop or Illustrator a lot - everything is open and it's a better workflow on 2 monitors.

Another item that you might want to point out, is a graphics tablet, like Wacom's is useful for Photoshop or paint programs. Not so useful for Quark/InDesign, Illustrator etc. The small ones are reasonably priced.