Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2010, 06:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default MId Range Build for Friend

I'm building a mid range, non gaming, build for a friend. He just wants it for school (web, word, and media) so I priced out this list for him, and was wondering what you guys thought. I'm considering going AMD as well, the computer can be about a $1000 without the screen. I'll be building it using Canada Computers to save on shipping. He wanted Blu-Ray and the CM 690 II case, besides that it's pretty open for discussion

Old April 30, 2010, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd go with a i5-611 instead of the 750 since it's non gaming. With the integrated video, you can ditch the graphics card. You could probably even use an i3 if its just web, word and media.

Might be worth a few bucks upgrading to GA-H57M-USB3 for RAID

Also, if you're not in BC, you're better off ordering from NCIX. You can price match pretty much any store that has stock and a secure website, you only pay 5% GST, and shipping is pretty cheap
Old April 30, 2010, 09:56 AM
Rookie

He may just be using the cart system on Canada Computer's website to generate a price list for reference sake.

Also, don't you lose the savings (through taxes) if you're in an HST province anyways? It's been a while since I read about how it works but I'm pretty sure you get charged the full 13% as long as both provinces use HST. Ontario and B.C. are both about to implement the HST on July 1st as far as I understand.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilocient View Post
I'd go with a i5-611 instead of the 750 since it's non gaming. With the integrated video, you can ditch the graphics card. You could probably even use an i3 if its just web, word and media.

Might be worth a few bucks upgrading to GA-H57M-USB3 for RAID

Also, if you're not in BC, you're better off ordering from NCIX. You can price match pretty much any store that has stock and a secure website, you only pay 5% GST, and shipping is pretty cheap
Thanks for the suggestions, I considered going the 661 route, but it costs $50 more then the 750 (well, $25 more if you don't include the IR on the 750). I just had a look at the i5 CPU's again, and what's the difference between the 660 and the 661 ? They're both clocked at 3.33 with 4 MB of L3 cache.

I'm buying from Canada Computers cuz they have a store about 20 min from me, so the shipping costs will be zero.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

And what others were saying is that you'd save the PST by buying from NCIX, which would be about $70. And NCIX does price matching, so you could save more there (e.g. I found the case for $71.50), and they've got their $5.99 shipping promo on again.

I'd look into it before spending your friend's money. You could probably save him about $100.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I am going to suggest a Different Route Vs what you have here.

AMD X4 965
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
G.Skill RipJaw 2X2 GB Kit
Either use the Onboard HD4200 or grab a cheap GT210/220/240.
The PSU is no dice in my books. I never liked OCZ and have had too many issues.
I'd say VX450/550 or an Antec 550 would be a much better choice. Never cheap out on the Supply.

My Thoughts at least.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 30, 2010, 11:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

+1 to ST's ideas and comments. I too wouldnt touch OCZ's power supplies with a 100ft pole (let alone a 10ft one).

BUT Id go for the cheap six core AMD 1055t instead of the quad core 965. You lose some speed 2.8 vs 3.4 but gain two more cores.
Drop a Zalman Flex + CM R4 fan or Hyper 212+ and you will be golden. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 30, 2010, 11:14 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
+1 to ST's ideas and comments. I too wouldnt touch OCZ's power supplies with a 100ft pole (let alone a 10ft one).

BUT Id go for the cheap six core AMD 1055t instead of the quad core 965. You lose some speed 2.8 vs 3.4 but gain two more cores.
Drop a Zalman Flex + CM R4 fan or Hyper 212+ and you will be golden. :)
Will do, although seeing as it's only a relatively non-demand use machine wouldn't the Althon II x4 635 (2.9 GHz) be suitable? I think the 6 core is a bit overkill for a word, web, and media machine
Old April 30, 2010, 11:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Will do, although seeing as it's only a relatively non-demand use machine wouldn't the Althon II x4 635 (2.9 GHz) be suitable? I think the 6 core is a bit overkill for a word, web, and media machine
Never Lose a Chance for the price to get a chip with that much Cache and Clock speed X4 965 that is. Because one never knows when the demand on the machine will change from what it is, to something gaming :)

My thoughts at least, I think the 965 would be more viable in the future than the II X4.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
Banned
F@H

im not sure he needs a quad, from what he said. maybe a fast dual core? probably save him a good 100 bucks