Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2010, 11:58 PM
Rookie

Default First Build - Suggestions or Modifications

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
- Gaming(Crysis, SC2, etc. ), and your basic everyday stuff ie internet surfing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
~$2000

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
- Lower Mainland, BC, Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
- Not really

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
- Have already purchased HDD, CPU cooler, DVD drive, and card reader. Will use my current mouse.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
- Tons on many different sites.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
- ~4.0ghz-4.5ghz, whatever I can safely get on my processor.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Within the next month or so.

9. What resolution do you use?
1920x1080

This is the first true computer build I've done from scratch. Modified a few P4 pcs when they were top, and have been using laptops ever since. Laptop is heading towards its grave so i figure make a nice desktop as I know have a netbook to replace the portability for school. So, I've done some research, read reviews, cross refrenced stats and this is what I've come up for my build.

CPU: i7-930
Mobo: Asus P6X58D ( or -E version not really sure )
RAM: 6GB G.Skill PI 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 ( F3-12900CL7T-6GBPI )
Case: Antec 1200
PSU: Antec CP-850
GPU: Sapphire HD5870 Toxic Edition
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8
Optical: Samsung SH-2223L
Card Reader: Vantec 58 in 1
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Mouse: Logitech VX Revolution
HDD: WD 1TB SATA 6GB/s (WD1002FAEX)
SDD: OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB

I will probably be building this once a couple more paycheques come in. Any feedback is welcome, I'd like to see what people think of my build and if there is anything that they might think of changing, as well as any general suggestions. Thanks.
Old April 29, 2010, 12:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe look at the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R which is great value for money.
I've heard bad things about the 1200 and for the same or less money you can get something better such as the K-62 or CM 690 II
For the CPU cooler you can get better for less like the NH U12P SE2
Old April 29, 2010, 01:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good. I was going to suggest taking a look at the new AMD six core reviews since they probably weren't discussed in the threads you researched but the i7 930 generally performed better than both of them released anyway. Don't forget to price match!

Shopbot - Compare prices - Canada - Price Comparison - Comparison Shopping
PriceCanada.com: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison!
PriceGrabber.ca - Comparison Shopping Beyond Compare
PriceBat.ca - Search & Compare Canada Online Store Prices Before You Buy

Other than that, you might want to consider other cases and PSUs. The CP-850 is a fine unit indeed but it limits you to the Performance One series and 1200 which are quite outgunned now. I personally like Fractal Design's new R2s, NCIX exclusive right now but also not listed until they fix a small USB issue, and am otherwise partial to Lian Li and Silverstone. Plus I'd invest in the most power efficient PSU I could; especially if you'd prefer fully modular and fully sleeved. The CP-850 is partially modular, keeping "necessary" cables attached indefinitely but I find myself stuffing most of those away anyway. All up to you though. Have fun!

Last edited by bovine.baron; April 29, 2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The case would be to change, Antec are out of the game for a time now in case and they have pretty bad old design. I would look on Coolermaster and Silverstone. ATCS 840 is a must have if you want to go full tower. Also, the V8 is a rip off...to expensive for what it give you. Hyper 212+ at 30$ will outperform it in many case. Take a look in 212+, Prolimatech Megahalem or Thermalright Venomous X. The PSU is correct but look at the cable lenght with the case you will get because sometime antec put some short cable.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 29, 2010, 09:06 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

He'll definitely need to change the PSU too, CPX form factor is HUEG. I scratched up my CP-850 trying to fit it into an ordinary midtower. The only conclusion I drew was that I found I'd have to cut off the bottom inch of my mobo for it to fit
Old April 29, 2010, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Seems like alot of people don't like the CP-850, Antec 1200, and the V8. Obviously if I change cases I'll have to change the PSU as it only fits in like 3 cases. What is it about these 3 that are so bad? What brands would people recommend as a change in case? Have CM; Lian Li seems a bit expensive to me.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Change PSU to Corsair and The cooler to Noctua. The case is fine. Stick with Intel if you want a high performance PC.

Other than those two.....looks decent.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Well, I went through a had a look at a couple CPU cooler roundups, and am thinking about a possible switch to the Prolimatech Megahalems. If I were to switch what fans would people recommend I get with it? and dual or single? I need to decide soon as my ability to exchange the V8 ends this weekend.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Get Noctua fans then. Fantastic fans and very quiet.

There are better fans out there but IMHO the Noctuas are tough to beat.
Old April 29, 2010, 04:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazushi Erukima View Post
Seems like alot of people don't like the CP-850, Antec 1200, and the V8. Obviously if I change cases I'll have to change the PSU as it only fits in like 3 cases. What is it about these 3 that are so bad? What brands would people recommend as a change in case? Have CM; Lian Li seems a bit expensive to me.
There's nothing wrong with them, it's just that there are better products out now for your money. I for one like my CP-850 very much.

Silverstone is also good and actually a personal favorite. They tend to have very smooth, minimalistic looks with brushed aluminium panels and they also have the Raven series which is the only (I think) case series that takes full advantage of the "hot air rises" principle to help cooling.

Like you said, Cooler Master is a trusted brand; the HAFs and CM 690 II are pretty popular right now.

Lian Li has a more affordable line that includes steel in their construction released under the name Lancool which is quickly gaining fans.

Corsair only has one case out right now, the Obsidian 800D but it is very popular. Also very expensive though.

What I would personally recommend most right now are the Fractal Design R2s which are NCIX exclusive for now, but they're not listed at the moment due to a small USB issue they want to fix before making them available again or something. They were on sale when just released for $99 and I think list normally for $110. I find the value exceptional since it not only has all the features becoming standard for enthusiast cases, like mobo tray cutout for mounting heatsink backplates and cable routing grommets, but is also very well sound insulated. Come to think of it, it's sort of a spiritual successor of the Performance One series.

As for power supplies, Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are generally trustworthy. I've been looking around the 80+ website and Enermax looks good too but I haven't heard much in reviews. As long as you stick to reputable brands, the only thing you really have to consider is how many 12V rails you want, whether you want it to modular, and power efficiency.

Noctua is basically the top end for air cooling. Though the Megahalems is considered a good competitor and the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a favorite for it's price/performance ratio.

All of this is in my opinion of course, but I'm sure my esteemed HWC peers will be quick to correct me where I'm wrong or inaccurate