Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Looking for donations to help a poor sailor.

Alright let me start off by saying this build is not for me. I have a young sailor in my section who is a bit down on his luck lately. As a new sailor doesn't make good money and his recent divorce forced him into bankruptcy. To top it all off he is raising his 2 children alone.

Because of his bankruptcy he was forced to go to one of those rent to own rip off joints to get stuff for his house. One of the things he's renting is a computer at 70 bucks a pay! I told him I'd build him a computer better than anything he can rent FREE if he'd agree to return the computer to the rental place. He agreed and I started my build, everything was going fine until I ran into the following problems. Video Card ATI 3870 not working (hoping to buy the 4830 Alpine is selling), hard drive corrupt (i don't understand it worked last week) and finally power supply dead.

So what I need to know does anyone have any hard drives (at least 100gb) or PSU's kicking around that they can donate to a good cause?

What I have that is working

AMD AM2+ 9550 BE
Gigabyte Motherboard
4GB of OCZ HPC DDR2 RAM
Antec big jesus black case
2 IDE CD/DVD writers
ATI 4830 ? (We'll see)
Windows 7 Premium Edition

All of this less the OS was about to hit the BST until today when I got the low down on this new kid.

I will pay shipping payable by PayPal, Hyperwallet, and now I have EMT! (opened TD account today just for this purpose). I know there has got to be some gear kicking around your work benches that your not using send my way.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old April 26, 2010, 02:21 PM
shaw

I have a WD Raptor, 74Gb model available. Free shipping. Let me know if you are interested.
Old April 26, 2010, 02:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd volunteer a 250GB western digital hard drive though its a replacement from an RMA and has well issues and would prefer to send you working hardware rather then sporadically defective hardware.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks to Shaw's kindness the HDD has been taken care of. Will definately take another for RAID and extra storage if anyone has one sculling about. For a PSU anything in the 350-500 Watt range should power this system, again I will pay shipping.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old April 26, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the PSU; are you overly concerned about brand?

(Ie: Would you take a thermaltake PSU? - New)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited by encorp; April 26, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old April 26, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice job looking out for your guys. I wish I had something to help you out with (I am only in Greenwood). Good luck with the build. I am sure some people will step up for your PSU and any other parts you end up needing.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old April 26, 2010, 06:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hi Pelt, I'm afraid I don't have any HDDs or PSUs to send your way but I do have a gift card from Futureshop that has a little over $80 on it in case the man is renting any electronics. If nothing else, perhaps he can get something nice for his kids. I'd be more than happy to mail it off - I'm sure I have some stamps around the house and could drop it in a mailbox ASAP. I'd really love to help, and it's no imposition at all.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Wow the response has been fantastic, thank you guys.

@Encorp brand not important anything that will run the system would do nicely, as they say "beggars can't be chosers". But seeing how this community is made up of such great guy and gals I know that it will be quality regardless of brand.

@Bond007 I'm just paying it forward. When I was a young Ordinary Seaman (Private for you Airforce types lol.) I was in a rough position making only 800 bucks a month living in Victoria in a 600 dollar a month apartment in the bad part of town. I badly needed to get into Married Quarters as my wife was pregnant with our first. There was this Petty Officer who had been on the waiting list for a PMQ for over a year and he heard of my situation. He offered up his "Q" to me when his name came up. I said but PO you've been waiting so long, he had a simple answer you need it more than me young man. From that day I promised myself that if given the chance to help someone else in the same way I would, and with the help of this forum I can.

@Bovine Baron that card would be fantastic. As I just realized he is going to need a mouse for his machine and that card will can handle that and have enough money left over to get his son a game for his DS.

Old April 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well here's why I asked.

There's a 430w Thermaltake onsale on NCIX right now for like 40 bucks off; coming in at 30 dollars.. I'm not above ordering it and shipping it direct from them to you.

I have PSU's laying here but they are not new; and that thing is so cheap and fits the bill I would have no problem doing it at all.

Toss me a pm if you're interested.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 26, 2010, 07:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Within hours of posting this call for help, I've gotten the last of the components required for this build. Thank you so much to Shaw for the HDD, Bovine.Baron for the gift card and Encorp for the PSU. The computer I'm building goes far beyond just cost savings for this young man but it will help with his and his family's quality of life especially for the children who use the computer to keep in contact with family across this fine country.

You men are shining examples of what make this country great and I'm proud to be a part of this community and should I get the chance I'll pay it forward.