Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
Rookie

Default Need suggestions for $800 build

Hi guys, i'm a new member here. I found the site and started reading and figured there is some knowledgeable guys on here so i decided to register. Anyways, my 5 year old amd dfi nforce 4 system crapped out on me a few days ago and i'm in need of a new computer. My usb keyboard stopped working and the computer wouldn't boot, and after determining that it still wouldn't boot with an older style round pin keyboard connector, i was told that it's most likely my mobo is hooped.

So here i am, i have about $800 give or take to build myself another system that will hopefully last another 5 years or so. I've read that the new amd x6 chips are coming out soon and i might go that route. I don't really play games any more, but i might in the future, but nothing too serious. I basically want a fast multi tasking computer that will handle everything i throw at it and keep its performance for some time. The gf and i download movies, edit pictures/music etc. and just browse the internet on it. I will overclock it short of it's failure limit, but i like to squeeze out extra speed for my $.

So as mentioned i was thinking of that x6 cpu, a gigabyte board but not sure which one, 4 gig of memory perhaps the gskill ripjaws, a new ps, and a new hd. For harddrives i noticed the wd 640 black sata III 6gps for $60. I have my coolermaster praetorian case that i love for it's looks and construction but i'm not sure if you guys think i should upgrade to something like the antec 300. I'll also need windows 7 premium, and maybe a cpu cooler?? I can't remember if the cpu comes with one?

Sorry for the long post. If you guys could put together the best performing system for my approximate budget it would be appreciated.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hae you tried resetting the cmos? is it a computer store telling you its gone? post your detailed system specs maybe someone here can help ya get it working
Old April 22, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Guys will need to know where you're from (Canada or US) and where you intend on buying your stuff.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds like you've got most your bases covered. I don't see why changing cases would matter, if you like what you have.
The 6-cores should come with a cooler, unless you get an OEM one. Availability of them is minuscule at the moment though, so you'll have some wait time. And if you intend to overclock, stock cooling wont get you far. As many will recommend a Cooler Master Hyper 212+, does a good job at low cost.
I am unsure of Gigabyte's current support for the 6-cores as I don't have a GB board, someone else may know though. If you don't game much an 890 chipset board's 4290 integrated graphics might do.
Old April 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
Rookie

I am in BC Canada and i intend to purchase my stuff online from the best deal provider and through price matches.

Yeah, a local store told me my motherboard probably is the culprit. Here's what happened exactly and here's what i have or so i think, it's been a long while since i built it. A DFI nforce 4 lanparty board, athlon xp 2700 i think but not sure clocked a little through the nforce system, 1 gig of corsair xm.s platinum ddr not sure ram, 480watt enermax noisetaker, leadtek winfast px6600gt video card and seagate barracuda 160g hd .

My system failed to boot a couple of days ago and i had no keyboard control in the bios or anywhere. I switched over to an old school round pin keyboard and was able to try and load in safe mode and from the original xp pro disk i have, and nothing. It won't boot at all. The store told me my power supply most likely power spiked my board and that's why i lost usb. They said that is just the start of a motherboard begining to fail. I thought it was my hd but they figured not.

I guess i could post this in the help section too, but right now i'm figuring i need to build a new system. Please help if you can. Oh, and i don't know how to reset the cmos? Thanks,
Old April 22, 2010, 05:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The CMOS jumper should be on the bottom of the motherboard, just under the battery. It should look like the picture though I think the DFI Lanparty nf4 actually say "CLEAR CMOS" near it. Put something metal like a screwdriver between the two pins there. My jumper's actually naked so I don't know if that's a just a cover, or a jumper or what but you can probably figure it out with a little tinkering. And/or pop the battery out for a while then put it back in.

PS I was looking at cases like the Praetorian since you said you liked it's looks and I found a nice one from Lian-Li but it's cheapest from NCIX and out of stock- if you like it, would you mind waiting for it?

Last edited by bovine.baron; April 22, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture!
Old April 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
Rookie

wd 640 black sata III 6gps for $60----- WHERE?? :O
Old April 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB SATA 6GB S DESKTOP STORAGE 7200 RPM 64 MB CACHE BARE

here :D