Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Need a new CPU, short dilemma (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/31021-need-new-cpu-short-dilemma.html)

GameOnTurtle April 14, 2010 04:24 PM

Need a new CPU, short dilemma

Not sure whether to post this here, or in another section.

So this is essentially for my work computer. Using photoshop, video encoding and just regular tasks.

I also need a motherboard and case, but I'll be spending about $60 on a cheap mATX gigabyte/asus/msi for either option.

CPU (Processor)
So far I'm boiling it down to a few options for CPU choices.
AMD II 245 (2.9ghz dual core)
Intel E5300 (2.6ghz dual core)

The e5300 is slightly more expensive (by a range of $5-$10 during regular sales), but I have an arctic cooler freezer pro Rev1 (not Rev 2.0) that I can use for the lga775 socket. I'll likely do some mild overclocking as well.

Trying to decide which cpu (which will also determine a motherboard choice) to go for on the cheap.
Are they equal in terms of application performance? I will not be gaming on this machine.

For reference, I'll be buying from NCIX. Maybe the weekly sale up tonight will determine my choice though. lol

Kovok April 14, 2010 05:24 PM

I'd go for the Athlon. I have a 240 overclocked to 3.5ghz 1.4v. It really makes a hell of a difference. However, you appear to be doing CPU intensive stuff, in which case I'd go to the Athlon II X4 620 which can be price matched to a mere $100. It's well worth the $40 extra, and if you do this sort of thing for work, it will save you a lot of time.

LarkStarr April 14, 2010 06:28 PM

if you're doing such intensive tasks, why are you shooting so low?

recommend you save for a quad core at least. if you can't afford it, wait until you can.
you might even get a good deal on a quad core on these forums when some folding nutter upgrades to an i7. :D

_dangtx_ April 14, 2010 06:34 PM

nope. got with a nice giga g31/g41 board and e3300... 3.2-3.5 right on stock cooler. get a bigger cooler(212+ for 25 or less) and shoot for 3.5+ (i had them upwards of 3.8 with some juice)

edit...after the above post, you could go for an x4 630 at 100$ and a nice giga board to match at maybe 60-80 bucks. itll probably do 3-3.2 on stock as well.

GameOnTurtle April 14, 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkStarr (Post 363789)
if you're doing such intensive tasks, why are you shooting so low?

I'm mainly shooting low, as I use these intensive applications very not-intensively. As well, I'm planning to buy a 5850 or a GTX 270 for my home computer, so I want to cut corners where I can for that little guy.

On the other hand, I've been considering snagging a AMD x4 for it but that would mean I'd probably have to lug one of the old steel cases to use for the set-up, or just spend an extra $40.
On that note, how would an E8400 Core 2 Duo sum up against an AMD II x4 620 in regards to the video rendering times?

_dangtx_ April 14, 2010 08:07 PM

well intel is better clock per clock, but the difference between a dual core and quad is there. unless you clock that 8400 to 4+ gigs, itll be handled.

LarkStarr April 14, 2010 08:21 PM

the quad would win, given a properly multithreaded application. the wolfdale's higher single threaded clocks can definitely be a boon though if a game or application isn't multithreaded properly. and dangtx, Intel may be better then AMD clock for clock, but even so, the duo would have to be a little higher then 4 ghz I would think. (considering we're leaving the AMD quad at stock?) also have to account for cache differences (I would assume the quad has more). That being said I think I got my old E8500 up to 4.2 or 4.3 ghz O.o

I'd still hit up the AMD quad core though and overclock it :3 - given most real world situations I believe it would be the faster solution then a core 2 duo.

clone63 April 14, 2010 11:59 PM

Athlon quads only have 2 total MB L2 Cache, e8400 has 6mb.
You could always try to unlock a Phenom II 550. But now we are post-$100 if you include shipping etc.
My vote is AMD quad, or there are triples in between for $75ish

LarkStarr April 15, 2010 08:55 AM

I stand corrected.

GameOnTurtle April 15, 2010 09:38 AM

Alright guys, I'll try and shop around for an AMD quad this week.

*edit*

By the way, how much of an issue of performance would it be if I were to use an AM2 with the AMD X4 620 AM3 cpu? I assume there's some limitations to the max speed due to the AM2 board, but how much?

Also, how would an AMD X3 425 do against the X4 620? (I can grab this for about $84 after taxes at my work supplier versus $110 for the X4 620.)