Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
Rookie

Default amd or intel, virtualisation machine, light gaming

hey all

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

The pc is for virtualisation (windows 7 with vmware workstation, and dual boot with ubuntu and KVM)

i will use thi pc as my main pc also, soo web browsing, 1080p movie and some light gaming (mostly games in the last year, and starcraft 2 :) )

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

+/- 1000

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

ncix, i mostly pricematch to get all my piece there and make them build the pc (i hate building pc)

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

not really a fanboy but never use amd, but if they offer something good im open

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

i have monitor keyboard and mouse

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

default speed i never overclock

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

as soon as possible, but for the moment my notebook hold, soo I can wait

9. What resolution do you use?

1680 x 1050 using clone to 2 monitor (monitor and tv)

I want usb3, sata3 if possible, but i wont use it now.

another note I want my pc, if possible, to use less energy, more quiet and heat, as i will leave it on 24/7

i had 1 build in mind,

and intel P55

here:

intel xeon x3440
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=44109&...ufacture=Intel

motherboard:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...cture=Gigabyte

powersupply:

around 600-700W i presume

memory:

4gb of ddr3 memory (2 stick)

case:

coolermaster haf 922

dvd:
dvd writer

hard drive:

2 x WD black 640gb for RAID 0 (wanted samsung f3 500gb but ncix does not have them :( )

graphic card

xfx ati hd5770

if i pricematch i could get this build for around 1000$

on the other end i could go with amd for around the same price, and maybe get a better motherboard chipset (more pci express lane, better for crossfire and usb3, even if i dont think i will use crossfire, but its always nice to have the option)

how does the amd processor compete in virtualisation against the intel. Particully the intel xeon x3440 got vt-x and vt-d technology, i dont know what is the equivalent for amd.

another option might be to wait for amd phenom x6, dont know how they would compete against the intel 4 core + HT

I'm open to suggestion on the amd side

thank you
Old April 13, 2010, 01:20 PM
Rookie

I would suggest a core i5-750 or core i7-860 for the CPU.
Old April 13, 2010, 03:28 PM
Rookie

why?

core i5 does not have HT and vtd that the xeon 3440,

it has a faster clock speed, but for my use the xeon x3440 seems great at the price, while core i7 860 may be a bit too pricey and not needed for my use

what i'm torn between is going intel or amd, amd seems to have a good chipset, better than the p55, but cpu may be lacking in power compared to intel, and i dont know how they hold up in virtualisation...
Old April 13, 2010, 03:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would go with intel hands down for VMware production. Xeon 3440 is a good pick, so is the i5 750. AMD seriously is lacking in performance numbers for production. As for the p55 chipset, its nothing more then a logic chip to control peripherials on the board vs any hardware gains in performance.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Default x3440 vs i5-750

The hyper-threading feature of the X3440 is only of benefit if you have workloads that can actually benefit from it. I think the X3440 is intended to support server workloads, with lots of stuff trying to run simultaneously. It also supports ECC RAM, but I do not think that the motherboard which you have selected supports ECC RAM.

The core i5-750 has will be slightly quicker, due to higher basic clock speeds and higher maximum turbo boost. It was also picked by Tom's Hardware as the best gaming CPU for US$200. See http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,2599-6.html.
Old April 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Rookie

if intel processor have a big + over amd,

i will go with intel,

The ram i plan on is not ecc.

basicly what i want to be able to do, is play some game, and be able to do my virtualisation, i want to virtualise a vpn server, web server (all linux) soo does not need to be powerful and ram hungry,

plus i want to play with linux KVM, i have vmware esxi at work, and use workstation for my test on my work notebook, but never actually saw KVM working and I'm curious and want to keep up to date with virtualisation technology even if i'm more of a network guy (router and switch)

the xeon server seems better for the work i will be putting it trought i dont mind losing a little speed since i think the xeon + 5770 will be ample to run most game on a 1680x1050 monitor witout lag

I was just having a dillemma on wheter to go amd or intel, but the edge intel got seems to be very big.

thank you
Old April 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
Rookie

Default WD drives and RAID

I should also mention that you might have problems with using the WD drives you have specified in RAID. WD does not certify these drives for use in RAID configurations, because they do not enable something caller TLER. Instead, they require you to buy more expensive raid enabled drives, whose model names contain RE3 or RE4.

Seagate drives are advertised to work fine in RAID. I am using a pair of 7200.12 drives in RAID 1 with no problems.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgurd View Post
I should also mention that you might have problems with using the WD drives you have specified in RAID. WD does not certify these drives for use in RAID configurations, because they do not enable something caller TLER. Instead, they require you to buy more expensive raid enabled drives, whose model names contain RE3 or RE4.

Seagate drives are advertised to work fine in RAID. I am using a pair of 7200.12 drives in RAID 1 with no problems.
TLER is nice but absolutely not needed for any type of home server or workstation unless you * absolutely* have mission critical stuff on it- in which case enterprise level drives would most likely be purchased anyway. Unless there is some kind of factory defect there will not be any issues with the hard drives he chose.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old April 14, 2010, 11:09 AM
Rookie

The only reason I mentioned problems with WD Caviar Black in RAID is because I have run across a few posts that complain of such problems. Most recently, a user in the storage forum on this site wrote about his issues at What is the best 1TB hard drive for RAID?.
Old April 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
Banned
F@H

good choice cpu wise. mobo is good, theres gigas below 150 if it makes a difference