Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Coming soon

Hi everyone !!

Just ordered all the stuff for my first build ever.

I'm low to barely medium in computer skills and I'm a little nervous since I've never done this.

I've read many reviews, articles and post before making my final decision on the components.

I would like to know of anything special I should know before I start (should receive everything in a week or two, don't know how fast NCIX shipping is), everything should go together nicely from what I read, but I rather ask anyways.

Any advice, warnings...etc are more then welcome.

Haf 932
Giga X58 UD7
i7 930
OCZ XTC plat 6g (OCZ3P1333LV6KG)
Megahalems cooler
Antec quatro 1200w
2 x Powercolor PCS+ 5850
OCZ agility 60g SSD

Ps: The woman is watching me like a hawk, I can't mess this up...
Old April 11, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks alright I guess. I would've got something cheaper than the Megahalem cooler. What kind of fans you putting on that or you just running it passive? PSU is a kinda overkill for what you have. Instead of 2 5850's in Xfire I probably would've just went with a single 5870 which should be able to handle anything nicely, and if you really needed to you could get another 5870 a couple months down the road. What kind of monitor are you using? What resolution? Also, no storage HDD? I'm not big into the SSD scene right now but I believe there could have been some better choices other than the Agility series. Should still do you fine though. And myself, I'm not a big fan of the HAF cases but to each their own. It's personal opinion when it comes to cases - well looks wise anyways. That's just my critique on what you'ev already ordered, but I'm sure you'll be happy with it regardless. Welcome to the forums BTW!

Oh are you planning on OC'ing too?
Old April 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Here are a few posts and sites you could check out:

Do's and Don'ts of building a pc:
What to DO and NOT DO when building a PC.

Corsair System build (they use an 800d and p55 but they're basically the same steps to build)
Welcome to Corsair :: System Build Logs

How to properly apply thermal paste:
How-To: Properly Apply Thermal Paste and Install a CPU | Maximum PC

How to do Cable management:
How-to: Give Your PC a Professional Wiring Job | Maximum PC

And heres a video from Corsair showing all the steps:
YouTube - Build a computer using the Corsair Obsidian 800D Chassis

It's a fairly straight forward process, one the the most important things to do is to just take your time and be patient, don't rush anything and everything will go fine.
Old April 11, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Any advice, warnings...etc are more then welcome.

The woman is watching me like a hawk, I can't mess this up...
Welcome to HWC Dan! Just have fun with it and please post a build log.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old April 11, 2010, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, there was 2 important factors for this build.
1-Had to be 2k max.
2-It had to last years without an upgrade (I know, I know, no such thing...)

headsh0t, I bought a Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan for the Mega.
HHD, I'm transferring the WD caviar black from my present computer with the DVD drives.
For the PSU and the GPU, well I must have changed my mind 100 times on what to get, so I had to just make a choice before my head exploded.
My resolution will be 1680x1050.
The SSD was not part of the plan but since NCIX is having a weekly special for 139.99$, I just went for it.

gambel626, thanks for those links.

I should be ok with the mechanical installation of components, what worries me the most is the electrical connection of all the components to the mobo.

and misterlarry, I'm going to show you my "newbieness" by telling you, I'm not sure what a build log is...

Thanks for the info.
Old April 11, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No problem. Check out some of the new build (work) logs here on the site and you'll see what I'm talking about. Worklog - Hardware Canucks

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old April 11, 2010, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Im guessing youre going to overclock this beast? Just wondering why you went with the UD7 over the UD5?
Old April 11, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Looks good Bud. You'll like the HAF as it's easy to build a system in it. My only concern would be your RAM. Lately tons of people have had trouble with that brand.
Old April 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
No problem. Check out some of the new build (work) logs here on the site and you'll see what I'm talking about. Worklog - Hardware Canucks

Man, you guys mod your cases the same way I mod my dirtbike...cool.

UD7 because of 2 reasons, SATA3 and because it was about 40$ more, hope I didn't waiste that 40.
And yes OC slowly but surely (have to learn).

For the RAM I was told to try 1 stick at the time and hope they're good.

I've read horror stories about every single components, another reason why I'm a little worried, I don't know if I can trouble shoot a dead component.

That's where you guys come in...
Old April 11, 2010, 08:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
UD7 because of 2 reasons, SATA3 and because it was about 40$ more, hope I didn't waiste that 40.
And yes OC slowly but surely (have to learn).

For the RAM I was told to try 1 stick at the time and hope they're good.
the UD5 comes with SATA3 and being 40$ more isnt really a reason, but its on its way to you now. I was just curious, thats all!

As for the ram, I personally have had problems with the OCZ gold series but not the OCZ platinum series. In the future, most people like to stick to G.Skill and Corsair ram now, just FYI =)

Im sure it will run out great though!