Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2010, 09:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default striker II formula, p5q-e, q6600, e8400

Currently I own a striker II formula and the Q6600, but i also have a brand new p5q-e sitting in its box... I was thinking about buying an E8400.

I understand quad cores are better suited for multitasking, while dual cores will be able to run a little faster and potentially get better FPS results while gaming.

the ultimate question become: what CPU should i pair with what mother board?

If I install the Q6600 in the p5q-e, then i could also install my recently purchased 8gb of Corsair XMS2 PC6400 and have a nice workstation rig

then I could install the E8400 with the striker II formula, and 4x1gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC (or maybe just 2gb... i hear the striker II can get a little touchy when trying to overclock with 4 sticks), and use this rig as my main gaming rig (overclocking the E8400, of course)

Thoughts? would I be better off with another combination? let me know!
Old April 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

To be honest, I'd just stick with the P5Q-E and Q6600, and sell the Striker. An overclocked Q6600 will be just as good for gaming as an E8400 would be.
Old April 11, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya just stick with your q6600 and you should be able to OC to 3.6 if it's a G0 stepping. The e8400 might be faster if you oc to 4.0ghz but there are some games starting to come out that actually utilize a quad core like BFBC2. So ya don't bother buying another 775 CPU, just use the one you have until it no longer suits your needs and then step it up to 1156 or 1336 system. not sure which mobo you should keep, never owned either of those. I guess if you actually just bought the P5q use that otherwise it would be a waste, and sell that striker.
Old April 11, 2010, 04:02 PM
Banned
F@H

the q-e is a beast at overclocking, so whatever you put in it and doesnt naturally have a stupid cap will give you good numbers.
Old April 11, 2010, 05:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

thanks for the feedback. FYI i did not just recently purchase the P5q-e, it has been in storage for almost a year now.

I like the idea of ditching my striker II very much.... It has been nothing but a headache since I purchased it.

So: p5q-e+q6600=win?

what about the ram situation?

should i go for 4x1gb of the OCZ 1066?
or is the crucial XMS2 800 a better option? (and if so, then should I use 4gb or 8gb, what would be better for overclocking?)
Old April 11, 2010, 06:18 PM
Banned
F@H

32 bit 4 gigs is too much. usually the less ram the easier the oc, but realistically 4 should be enough unless you need to run vmware and such.

did you actually test the q-e? or its still sealed? if you already have ram stick with it, dont invest more. youll run a divider either way
Old April 11, 2010, 06:21 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates_Johnston View Post
So: p5q-e+q6600=win?
That's what I would do. As far as I'm concerned, quad-core CPUs are the minimum for a serious enthusiast rig. I'd never consider something with a dual-core in it a high-end machine. We're only going to see more programs take advantage of multiple cores in the future, so it makes no sense to go with outdated tech.
Quote:
what about the ram situation?

should i go for 4x1gb of the OCZ 1066?
or is the crucial XMS2 800 a better option? (and if so, then should I use 4gb or 8gb, what would be better for overclocking?)
For overclocking, you would want a 2x2GB kit. As for the brand, it doesn't really matter that much. In terms of real-world performance, RAM speeds and timings don't make that much of a difference, so you really just want something that won't limit your FSB overclock (the RAM should be rated for at least double your target FSB speed, so if you plan on using an FSB of 400MHz for example to hit 3.6GHz on the CPU, you should use at least DDR2-800 memory).
Old April 12, 2010, 08:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I installed the Q6600 in my P5Q-E...man this thing is ROCK SOLID! I've managed to push it to 3.2ghz with my OCZ 4x1GB DDR2-1066 HPC edition with no problem (~60C under full load using Intel burn test)... I will probably try for 3.4 or even 3.6, but I will probably need to get some more air on my northbridge and ram...

one question: where can I see my northbridge temps? Do i need to put a heat sensor there or does the P5Q-E come with one already?

I am going to return the recently purchased corsair ram, and sell my cursed Striker 2 formula (anyone interested? lol)
Old April 12, 2010, 09:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
one question: where can I see my northbridge temps? Do i need to put a heat sensor there or does the P5Q-E come with one already?
You can use a program like Hardware Monitor or Everest, or you can use the ASUS software to monitor your NB temps. Keep in mind that no matter what, they won't be especially accurate.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I see 3 temps for my mobo in CPUID Hardware Monitor:
SYSTIN
CPUTIN
AUXTIN

which is my northbridge?