Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2010, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm leaning towards the nettop. The rents haven't filled up the 80gb hard drive they have now, so I can bump the Revo down to the 160gb, do a price match, and come out $100 less expensive than the 500gb one. Together with an external dvd writer, and I think we're set. Anyone have any reasons not to get a nettop? For this purpose at least.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not upgradeable....

-Plato
Old April 8, 2010, 10:52 PM
Top Prospect

At that price point, who cares? Just buy a new one in a few years. I don't think youtube and checking email and stuff will require a 6 core cpu any time soon.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For immediate use, a nettop seems fine. However, a DIY system would probably have a bit more in the way of longevity, and decent warranties. If you have parents like me who refuse to buy new computers until the last one explodes, upgradeability will make it cheaper in the long run, and not make you want to shove your head through the screen from 3fps flash banners. Just add a GPU!

Also, the NCIX eBay outlet has some cheap stuff. No warranty, but REALLY cheap.

And LOL at $30 case. I could get a windowless side panel for my 800D at that price :P
Old April 9, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix View Post
And LOL at $30 case. I could get a windowless side panel for my 800D at that price :P
Thanks for sharing :(

Anyways, the AMD 4200IGP is more than enough for daily task. Heck, my M2A VM's IGP is more than enough for surfing the web!!!

I would never get anything that is not upgradeable (besides laptops). I don't get it my $400 build will smoke the pants off of the Acer REVO. Btw how's Acer's warranty?

-Plato
Old April 9, 2010, 08:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Dude, did you even read my post? You are at least $50 over the budget...
I see the thread started by someone else, not you, dude. As for your math, you may see that the price I quoted is $437, hardly $50 over... and $427 for a machine without a burner.

Relax, it is a forum where people ask questions and get answers that can be ignored. If you think it is a contest to see if you can make a computer fit the price then so be it. People are looking for opinions on parts, reliability and so on. I assume the OP wants options, mine is an option, and it can be ignored just as easily as used.

Just as another poster suggested a pre-built from Best Buy or Futureshop, it is an option. Not one I would do, but thousands of people use that option and are very happy.

Anyway, I am sure the OP will find something to make Mom and Dad happy, near the price point indicated... who know, maybe even cheaper!
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Old April 9, 2010, 01:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Mobo - $75 : NCIX.com - Buy ASUS M4A78LT-M LE mATX AM3 DDR3 AMD 760G 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI Radeon 3000 Sound GBLAN Motherboard - M4A78LT-M LE In Canada.
CPU - $59 : Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

You could build something off these two, i'm sure that's more than enough power ....
Old April 11, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Super Budget Build

Have you considered looking into an Alienware system. They build it according to your specs. Also, they give you a restore disk to bring it back to when you first received it from them. They are supposed to be top notch.

fishingfanatic
Old April 11, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I smell pointless spam from this fishing fanatic.
I'm liking Kayen's starter build. Sonata would be a good suggestion for a combo psu/case but another option would be a cheap but well built case like an Antec 300 and a corsair 400cx psu if you don't like the look of the Sonata.
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400CX 400W ATX 12V 30A Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - CMPSU-400CX In Canada.
As for case..
THERMALTAKE V3 BLACK EDITION - VL80001W2Z VL80001W2Z
Antec Three Hundred - Versatile Case w/Front USB, Audio: THREE HUNDRED at BEST PRICE
Go for a DDR3 mobo since you can always use it later and considering DDR2 is pretty much EOL

I should also note that Dwayne has ddr2 whereas one of the mobo's is ddr3 which won't work but the other ddr3 mobo would

Old April 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Another case suggestion is the NZXT Gamma, it's got better cabling and cooling capabilities, and generally easier to work with, as well as a lower price !
As for CPU the Corsair 400CX is SOLID.
Also, the budget mobo i posted was on sale, great price for a DDR3 mobo !