Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Thumbs up Need advice for future build...

Hey all new to the forums, been building for almost 8 years now, but wanted to get some advice on up and coming hardware. OK, my girlfriend approved it and I'm going to go for it! I'll be using this untamed beast for the most extreme gaming. Think Crysis 2 (I know it's not out yet) max settings pwned. My budget is about $3500USD, give or take a hundred dollars or so. Here's what I have so far:

Core i7 980x CPU - $1101
Asus Premium x58 Motherboard SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 - $310
12GB Corsair 1600 DDR3 RAM - $370
Sapphire Radeon 2GB HD 5870 Eyefinity Edition -$502
Corsair 128GB SATA III SSD -$425
Western Digital 640GB Black Edition SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM Hard Drive Disk - $80
Ultra X4 1200Watt Modular Power Supply Unit $250

I have a very nice 24" Acer Monitor that has 2 HDMI ports...
I have the Cooler Master HAF 922, which I intend to put all of this in... as well as a Sapphire HD 5870 that I will crossfire the other 5870 with...
then with my current setup, I will give to my girlfriend. I will buy her a video card, case and monitor in the month following this build... I have accumulated less than $3100 in parts theoretically thusfar... so $400 or so for a case, monitor and video card for her will be easy cheesy (in theory lol she's KIND OF picky when it comes to looks so maybe not so much on the case, but...).

Here are just some of the questions bouncing around this noggin of mine as the excitement mounts at actually purchasing this build...

Has anyone heard anything bad about the power supply unit I've chosen? I picked it because it is FULLY modular, has plenty of wattage, is crossifre certified and the price is great.

Would anyone modify any of my choices? I really like the setup I have chosen, but if you come across something more powerful for the same or less $, please, let me know.

Anyways, I'm just crazy hyper right now thinking of how I'mma pwn Crysis 2 when it comes out... Thanks for any input and reading!
Old April 2, 2010, 11:48 PM
Banned
F@H

no need to shell that much on a cpu, most games wont take 4 cores . still.

get a corsair 1kw and maybe a gtx480 since money and such is not a problem. or better a 5970 now.
Old April 3, 2010, 12:35 AM
Top Prospect

why don't you consider a setup with multiple monitors? if you're going for a 5870 eyefinity edition, you'd want at least a few more monitors for some really nice gaming.
Old April 3, 2010, 04:15 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
no need to shell that much on a cpu, most games wont take 4 cores . still.

get a corsair 1kw and maybe a gtx480 since money and such is not a problem. or better a 5970 now.
the 980x has 6 cores actually lol but you have a good point there... maybe buy a i7 960 (which would cost about $500 less, and use the extra $ to get a 5970? Hmmm.... That sounds like a solid plan, actually. It would be insane to have 6 cores and 12 with hyperthreading tho. Buuut, I think you're right, maybe I'll go with the i7 960. Actually there's a good deal on an i7 975 at a local store for $800, which would save me $300... I'm spending $500 on a video card already so $800 would definitely get me the 5970... I'mma do it. Thanks for talking me into it.

Do you think I'll even have to crossfire given I'll be getting the 5970 now? I like having HDMI without an adapter, but it doesn't really matter. Anyways, thanks for the advice.

O geez almost forgot, I was thinking of going with the Corsiar 1000 but wasn't sure... hmmm. Anyways, thanks again.
Old April 3, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i think i7's you mentioned are all the same quad cores, only at a higher clock speed. Just get a 920 DO and oc the crap out of it.

and i don't get it, just build you GF a $800 AMD computer with some of your existing parts..(ie: PSU)

Another note: only 1gb of the 2gb on the 5870 will be used in CF b/c the other card is a 1 gb version

-Plato
Old April 3, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Listen to the good people here, save $800 on the cpu, and then buy your girlfriend something nice.
An i7 920 D0 or i7 930 will overclock very nicely, I drooled over both when building them for other people. Just make sure you have good cooling.

At the price point of that Corsair SSD, I would get this one instead:NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-M 160GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive Retail Box - SSDSA2MH160G2R5Single In Canada.

From my experience, the Ultra x4 and x3 modular power supplies are a living nightmare when it comes to voltage regulation. I replaced all my power supplies with Seasonics/CWT's and Corsair/Antec rebrands. You'll probably save more on your hydro bill as well. If you stay on the ATI 5xxx route, you probably won't need a 1kW PSU, an 850W should do for crossfire.

If your case can fit it, get the 5970 if you wanna own Crysis.
Old April 4, 2010, 03:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with everybody else here, i7 920 D0 all the way, no need to spend so much for 6 cores that won't be much use in gaming or even higher clocked ones since a 920 can pretty much OC to the same clockspeeds as higher spec'd models.
As for PSU, Corsair 1kW or even an Enermax Revo. I'd personally take the Corsair if you aren't sleeving the cables since I find the Enermax cables look terrible.

While were spending so much money, get a 2TB WD Black, expensive but fast. Not sure about your SSD choice although Intel is a pretty safe bet. You should also consider the Crucial Realssd C300 since its a 6GBPS ssd but considering how new it is, I'll say stick with the Intel x25's.

Don't think yo mentioned this but how are you cooling your cpu? Hope your not going to stick with stock cooling.

(On a side note, I don't think Crysis 2 will redefine benchmarking since its sys. requirements are lower than the original. Lets just hope its code is more refined and efficient than before)