Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   New gaming rig advice needed! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/30406-new-gaming-rig-advice-needed.html)

Massacah March 28, 2010 11:35 PM

New gaming rig advice needed!

New gaming rig advice needed!
Hey guys!

First of all I'm new here in the forums and having a great time so far! Second! I decided a month ago to build a new desktop for gaming (excited as hell) and after a bit research I compiled a list of the hardware I'd like to go with. Some items I'm not too sure about, and I'd like some advice/thoughts on those choices. I do know my way around some tech, but I'm no expert. Any help would be much appreciated!

Note: Money is not a problem, though I'd rather not start throwing my savings out the balcony .

My Current List :

*Case - Lian Li PC B71/Corsair 800D/CoolerMaster ATCS 840
-Looking for something with stock cooling, that will keep my rig relatively cool.

*Processor - Intel i7 920
- Was going to go with 960, but I was told going with a 920 and OCing would be much better. True?

*RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 6B (3x2GB)
- Any real difference between vanilla dominator and GT?

*Video Cards - Sapphire Radeon 5970 OC CrossfireX (already purchased)
- Overkill yes, but I wouldn't turn down a second 5970 gift now would I? :clap:

*Motherboard - EVGA E760 Classified
- I'm really having a hard time choosing a motherboard. I want something that will run both my cards at x16 and with a good layout so the cards will not interfere with the other components. Is my current choice overkill?

*PSU - Enermax 1250W Galaxy Evo
- Frankly, I have no idea how much wattage I need.

*HDDs - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers,
Mass :punk:

rjbarker March 29, 2010 12:16 AM

Firstly...welcome to HWC
Second...looks like your well on your way to a great Rig indeed ;)

*Case - Lian Li PC B71/Corsair 800D/CoolerMaster ATCS 840
-Looking for something with stock cooling, that will keep my rig relatively cool.

Lian Li, Silverstone or the 840 would be my choices for optimal Air Cooling , although if your planning WC..then the 800D

*Processor - Intel i7 920
- Was going to go with 960, but I was told going with a 920 and OCing would be much better. True?

Yep

*RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 6B (3x2GB)
- Any real difference between vanilla dominator and GT?

The only real difference is slightly faster latency and in some Cases higher speeds, as in 1866 and 2000 Mhz, ...GT's are geared towards more extreme OC'ing..the standard 1600 Doms are great Memory, OC well, fairly decent latancy at 8-8-8-24 1T and run fairly cool.

*Video Cards - Sapphire Radeon 5970 OC CrossfireX (already purchased)
- Overkill yes, but I wouldn't turn down a second 5970 gift now would I? :clap:

Sweet...in my world thier really is no Overkill, curious as to what Res your planning on gaming on...Min 1920 x 1200 I hope!

*Motherboard - EVGA E760 Classified
- I'm really having a hard time choosing a motherboard. I want something that will run both my cards at x16 and with a good layout so the cards will not interfere with the other components. Is my current choice overkill?
I have the Classified Board w NF200, not quite sure, but it seems to me without the NF200 you won't achieve x16 for all 3 Slots, I could be wrong. I know my Classy with NF200 does indeed get x16 in all 3 slots. Either way, not a huge difference overall. Classified = great overclocker and great support.

*PSU - Enermax 1250W Galaxy Evo
- Frankly, I have no idea how much wattage I need.
If I understand correctly your planning on a 2nd 5970?.....if so a Corsair HX 1kW should be ample for you...if just the one Card then an H750 / 850W

*HDDs - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
For this build I would highly recommend an SSD for your Operating System and a Black for your Data....if the funds are available..

Cheers and have fun with it ;)

oh....don't forget a decent Aftermarket HSF for that 920 :thumb:

Massacah March 29, 2010 12:32 AM

Thanks Rjbarker!

One question though. Will the Corsair HX1000 support Xfire 5970s AND water cooling/more HDDs/more fans?

Cheers,
Mass

Eniigmaa March 29, 2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massacah (Post 355723)
Thanks Rjbarker!

One question though. Will the Corsair HX1000 support Xfire 5970s AND water cooling/more HDDs/more fans?

Cheers,
Mass

That will be more than enough

scruff March 29, 2010 10:57 AM

Why noy the 930 ? its a little cheeper and newer

MonsterSound March 29, 2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruff (Post 355835)

:thumb:
and the 930's are DO fer sure

rjbarker March 29, 2010 01:18 PM

OP - the Corsair HX 1kW will fit the bill fine ;)

tragd March 29, 2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruff (Post 355835)

+1 no point in paying new price for 920 when 930 is available! Unless you're getting a 920 used for cheaper (~$50 cheaper?)

Massacah March 29, 2010 02:05 PM

Thanks alot guys!

I think I will be going with the 800D case wise. I'm not jumping into water cooling right away. But I AM planning it :). Will also look into the 930!

Cheers,
Mass

deathsupport March 29, 2010 02:26 PM

930 is the obvious choice over the 920, if the prices match. A lot of the places I checked out (TigerD, CanadaComps) are still selling the 920 for around $20 cheaper than the 930. So maybe wait a bit if you can for the 930 prices to go down?