Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Default Budget Build. Critiques?

A friend pointed me to this site, and I must admit that it is great. I've perused the forum a bit and it was very helpful.

I'm tired of running an old rig, so I decided to build a new one on a limited budget (under $700). I use the computer for gaming and graphics. Here's what I decided on:

Athlon II x4 630
Asus M4A785TD-M motherboard
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D 4Gb (2x2) DDR3-1600
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
Coolmaster Elite 310 Black BT Case
Western Digital Caviar Black 500Gb SATA HDD
Coolmaster Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler

It's been years since I put a rig together, so opinions are appreciated.
Old March 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
MVP

Well you've certainly got the right idea, but there are a few changes I'd make if it's within the budget;

First, I'd take a PII 555 over the 630. If it unlocks the 555 will murder the AII, and if it doesn't it'll still perform better in most games.
Second, try to get the M4A785TD-V EVO. In addition to having better expansion capabilities it's got more phases of power and OCs better (if memory serves).
I'm personally biased against Antec, but whatever. As long as it's a quality brand of PSU, go for it.
Cavair Black 640s are a bit faster and have a bit more storage than their 500GB counterparts, and they're rarely much more. From what I've seen the difference is usually about $5-10.
That's a great cooler for the price, but if you can grab a Hyper 212 Plus it'll be that much better. I'm assuming you're going to overclock, if not, the TX3 is great.

Lastly, while the 785G has some of the best onboard graphics on the market they're still dramatically underpowered even compared to very inexpensive discrete graphics. You probably don't have the budget to get discrete graphics right now, but make it a priority upgrade for the future. And in the mean time, good luck gaming on the HD 4200...
Old March 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral1 View Post
A friend pointed me to this site, and I must admit that it is great. I've perused the forum a bit and it was very helpful.

I'm tired of running an old rig, so I decided to build a new one on a limited budget (under $700). I use the computer for gaming and graphics. Here's what I decided on:

Athlon II x4 630
Asus M4A785TD-M motherboard
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D 4Gb (2x2) DDR3-1600
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
Coolmaster Elite 310 Black BT Case
Western Digital Caviar Black 500Gb SATA HDD
Coolmaster Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler

It's been years since I put a rig together, so opinions are appreciated.
I would personally not bet on unlocking cores...

I would swap out the Asus board for a Gigabyte one: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41235&...cture=Gigabyte

I highly recommend Antec 300 because of its superior airflow (2 intake and 2 exhaust).
The TX3 is fine for no-mild OC's.

You should try to wait for NCIX's March AMD Xtreme Bundles: NCIX FORUMS - AMD March AMDness (Madness) Bundle Deal...

There are some insane deals there.

-Plato
Old March 14, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I would personally not bet on unlocking cores...

I would swap out the Asus board for a Gigabyte one: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41235&...cture=Gigabyte
why?????
Old March 14, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say go with the 255, your chances of getthing one that can't unlock are extremely slim at this point. Also, 300 isn't bad but you do get a bad itch to window mod it, paint it and cut some cable management holes sooner or later.

Old March 14, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What graphics card are you planning on using?
Old March 14, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
why?????
Because i'm biased toward Gigabyte. They have better support than Asus...

I meant this board: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...cture=Gigabyte

Its DDR3 :)

-Plato
Old March 14, 2010, 06:21 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I've never overclocked a system or messed about with them too much, as such I'd probably stay away from trying to access the extra cores on the Phenom II x2's. That is why I picked the Athlon II x4. The quad cores will should help with doing digital painting and graphics ... hopefully.

I won't be able to buy a dedicated graphics card for a while, so I picked a motherboard with one onboard to act as a placeholder. The M4A785TD-V was my first choice, and I will take it over the M4A785TD-M if I have the cash at the time. They both have HD4200 onboard as opposed to HD3300 on most of the others that I've seen, so they win. I have a very tight budget. I have never had a problem with an ASUS board in the past, I've had about 5 of them, so I am partial to them.

I was also looking at a Cool Master eXtreme Power Plus 600Watts PSU, but the threads I read seemed to indicate that Antec was better. Is that wrong?

I like the idea of upping to the WD 640 Gb HDD, especially if it is faster. You're right the price difference is negligible.

The Antec 300 and Cool Master Elite 310 were the two cases that I was torn between.

More to ponder until the tax man coughs up some dough. Thanks
Old March 14, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do NOT get the Coolermaster 600W because it has some stupid fan issues. Also, it doesn't really live up to "600W" name. Mainly there isn't enough amps to support high end graphics card (GTX260 and onwards) due to its 36A. (GTX260 needs 40A). Its more like a 500W unit.

I don't like Asus products due to their horrible support for semi-dated products. My Asus M2A-VM doesn't support the "new" Phenom II processors while Gigabyte's equivalent can. (Both use 690G chipset)

I like the Antec 300 due to the bountiful of fan slots. Another alternative would be the AZZA Helios 910. It comes with a crap load of fans and their MIR department is pretty good. Its been on sale at NCIX for that last month or so...

@ HD4200 vs HD3300: I believe the 3300 is slightly better than the 4200 but in the 4200, you get DX10.1

-Plato
Old March 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

either way, the graphics are $#!^ so I'd just so with what's cheaper :P