Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Default Need help to build a Karaoke PC

Ok,

I'm pretty good with building PC's for the most part, a couple days ago I had an odd request.

A friend wants me to build portable PC for playing karaoke!

Here's what I've come up with:

Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F Black

Corsair CMPSU-400CX

ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM mATX LGA775 (on sale NCIX)

Intel Pentium E6500

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

AuzenTech Bravura PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card

XFX Radeon HD 5770

Thing is, I don't really know the first thing about GPU or sound card requirements for a Karaoke machine...is this over board? will a decent On Board set do?

Opinions appreciated thanks!
Old March 13, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Kijiji

Ottawa / Gatineau new and used CDs & DVDs - Free Ottawa / Gatineau Classifieds at Kijiji

TRY something like this ?(not me)
Old March 13, 2010, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks,

But I'm not sure what this has got to do with picking out the hardware parts for playing Karaoke?
Old March 15, 2010, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Anyone?
Old March 15, 2010, 03:21 PM
Restricted Poster

To be honest I hope this gets answered as well. I don't use computer speakers for my sound, I actually use the optical out and connect it to my Dolby Digital Receiver and get full 5.1 Surround. When I want to Karaoke (actually my wife is the one that does, Vietnamese loooove their singing. lol), I hook up the wireless mic box to the receiver and either use Karaoke files on my HD or pop in one of our many Pacific Mall DVD's and a way we go! lol There's probably an easier way but I've never heard it. :D
Old December 8, 2014, 06:51 PM
Rookie

Smile Many ways possible - this could get tricky

Hi,

My mom has had me look into this for her for xmas. Welp, here goes.

Once you have the PC hardware (like Ghlin) you need to decide whether we want to do this the analog way or the digital way.

NOTE: For these examples we will assume 2 microphones are required.

NOTE 2: We will also assume that the video and audio are split (meaning the sound is played by an amplifier separate from the display).

NOTE 3: I assume you have subscribed to or will otherwise provide your own karaoke software or website. This is a hardware discussion only.

Analog:

2 microphones (xlr, 1/4" or 3.5mm) and the line out of your computer (or headphone out) are connected to a small mixer. The output of the mixer is then connected to an input on the amplifier. Then you "mix" the mic levels against the line level from your karaoke music.

Then your laptop or PC video output is connected VGA (analog - via HD15 connector) to the input of your display.

Simple.

Digital:

2 microphones are connected to a USB mixer and connected to your PC as an input device (NOTE: you may have to enable or choose an option in the sound settings to "Listen to your device"). Again this is a USB connection to your PC that is recognized as another sound card or input device.

The digital video (carries audio too!) is connected to your digital display via HDMI, or DisplayPort (99% will be HDMI).

Once the connected digital signal is selected on your display you then look at whether or not you have a digital receiver (video selector / amplifier) in your signal chain.

If you DO have a receiver you may be connecting your PC directly to that and taking your receiver output to your display via HDMI (if your setup includes a receiver, and it works, you have most likely already done this).

If you DO NOT have a receiver, it is assumed you are using the speakers inside your display. You can connect your laptop directly to the display and adjust the volume via your remote.

Simple, right!?

I realize this type of language is very difficult for a lot of people which is why I am open to answer any questions. I am a professional Audio Visual Systems Integrator (15 years) and the most difficult part of these types of setups is the configuration. Making sure your PC settings, amplifiers, and display settings are all in order can be tricky. The best part is once you have it all connected and working, repeating this. I highly recommend writing your working settings down as soon as they work! Save yourself some stress later, especially if you have an audience waiting
Old December 8, 2014, 06:57 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome MC to our little World, and thank you for your thorough explanation. Though this thread is over 4 years old...
Old December 8, 2014, 07:06 PM
Rookie

Default Aging threads are helpful threads :)

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I do realize the age of this thread. I guess it speaks volumes for the google search that lead me here. Not a lot of people are talking about the hardware aspects of home karaoke.

Always a pleasure to help where I can!
Old December 8, 2014, 07:25 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You are more than welcome to hang around. We don't bite. Some of us old farts do bark, but we're all a bit deaf.
Old December 8, 2014, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Ha ha! Perfect.

I won't judge. Glad to answer any technical questions. I've also been known to give out freebies and tid bits of information :)

Glad to be a part of this site.