Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2010, 12:28 PM
Rookie

Default First Build

Hoping to build my first computer and was hoping to get some opinions from fellow Canadians. I made a public wishlist on Newegg so check it out:

Newegg.ca - Once You Know, You Newegg

Hoping to use it on my HDTV for minor gaming, linux virtualboxes, school, video conversion/transfer and finally to learn how to build a pc.

The harddrive and powersupply have good deals this week on newegg, overall the total with tax and shipping is $810.

Thanks!
Old March 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
MVP

There are some changes I'd suggest making, but none that don't involve raising the budget. What you've got is still a pretty solid build.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
There are some changes I'd suggest making, but none that don't involve raising the budget. What you've got is still a pretty solid build.
What did you have in mind? I understand that the video card is about a generation off, but honestly the type of gaming I'm looking at is mostly old RTS, 2d MMO and maybe like Wolf ET :P. I've been out of the PC gaming world that I'm not even sure what to play, I dunno Starcraft II?

What I'm mostly concerned about are the Harddrive and Powersupply. I've yet to really find any good info about 32mb cache vs 16mb for Harddrive and I'm just afraid that my powersupply will either die or just not work with the mobo!

You should also understand that this upgrade is from a 1.6GHZ P4 with like 750mb ram and an ancient nVidia card. I'd be happy if this new build lasts 3/4 as long as that old thing has!