Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2010, 08:08 PM
Restricted Poster

Default New Build....Again!

Here's what I'm planning;

Intel i7 920 2.6GHz
ASUS Rampage II GENE (I know the Extreme II is better, but not worth 150 more imo)
Sapphire Radeon HD5870
6GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Gold XTC (3x2048MB)
CPU cooler in and around 80-100 bucks (Any suggestions??)
Maybe a SSD drive haven't decided.
I was told my Cooler Master 750watter would suffice? True? I did a test on the PSU calculator and it said I would be more than fine.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, I'm new to the new i7 war front and need all the help I can get. ;)My current rig specs are in my sig. Any ideas etc welcome. THANKS!

Last edited by Uberg33k; March 13, 2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The 920 is end of line, and the 930 can be found for the same price.
Your PSU will be fine with that build.
HSF, check the chart at the bottom of this page: Zalman CNPS10X Flex CPU Cooler Review Any of the top 4 should do just fine.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:23 PM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The 920 is end of line, and the 930 can be found for the same price.
Your PSU will be fine with that build.
HSF, check the chart at the bottom of this page: Zalman CNPS10X Flex CPU Cooler Review Any of the top 4 should do just fine.
Thanks for the reply. The 930 is 30 bucks more than the 920 and only 200MHz faster, wouldn't the former be a better choice? Also I only shop at one PC store here locally

Welcome to Filtech Computer: Your Best Computer Bargain in Toronto.

Could you maybe check the CPU cooler section there and suggest one based on what they carry? Since I only shop there it would make sense. Lastly, I wondering if there's a market for my current parts? I'm planning on selling them off after this build to offset the cost.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberg33k View Post
Could you maybe check the CPU cooler section there and suggest one based on what they carry? Since I only shop there it would make sense.
Maybe I'm a little biased here, but I'm not sure I follow this logic... Shouldn't you just get the best product/value regardless of where you get it from?

BTW, the 930 is not only the same price as the 920, but compared to that store, it's also significantly cheaper. You may want to reconsider where you do your shopping...

NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box - BX80601930 In Canada.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old March 13, 2010, 06:13 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Could you maybe check the CPU cooler section there and suggest one based on what they carry? Since I only shop there it would make sense. Lastly, I wondering if there's a market for my current parts? I'm planning on selling them off after this build to offset the cost.
Hi first, your Gene is a very good board, as for the cooler I give a quick look to the list you link, and they do not carry very good cooler, aside of the V8, but even ..it's not the end of the world, you will be better with the Flex Sugar sugess to you. I will also look at a corsair or a Silverstone PSU at the same time, cooler master do not make the best PSU, I may be wrong, but I thing I read they was not the best build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Maybe I'm a little biased here, but I'm not sure I follow this logic... Shouldn't you just get the best product/value regardless of where you get it from?.
exactly, I understand he want shop local for may be service reason, but an Intel CPU, is never DOA. if he look online he will have a better choice of cooler too.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Here's what I'm planning;

Intel i7 920 2.6GHz - Get 930 instead
ASUS Rampage II GENE (I know the Extreme II is better, but not worth 150 more imo) - Fine
Sapphire Radeon HD5970 -Save your money....get a 5850 and OC it to 5870 levels. XFX is the best brand for that
6GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Gold XTC (3x2048MB) - Get better brand. Corsair or G.Skill Ripjaws.
CPU cooler in and around 80-100 bucks (Any suggestions??) - Corsair H50
Maybe a SSD drive haven't decided. - OCZ
I was told my Cooler Master 750watter would suffice? True? I did a test on the PSU calculator and it said I would be more than fine. Your fine but would recommend a Corsair PSU Instead. The HX Series are Modular.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, I'm new to the new i7 war front and need all the help I can get. ;)My current rig specs are in my sig. Any ideas etc welcome. THANKS!
Bold parts are my highly recommended suggestions.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The 930 is 30 bucks more than the 920 and only 200MHz faster, wouldn't the former be a better choice? Also I only shop at one PC store here locally

Welcome to Filtech Computer: Your Best Computer Bargain in Toronto.

Those are not good prices IMHO. Shopping at NCIX would net you FAR better prices and benefits.....as long as you do not use their Phone Support. LOL!!!!!!!
Old March 13, 2010, 06:37 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Bold parts are my highly recommended suggestions.
if you want to change the 5970 , I will change it for a 5870 so no need to OC it. The day I purchase my 2 * 5870 , my first intention was to order a 5970, but I change my mind and I order 2 * 5870, I made some test and I see not so much differenc betwen 2 of them in xfire and a single one, so now they are separate, I will go only with the 5970 if the OP plan to go eyefinity

...as for the H50 recommendation, is far better with an air cooler, those h50 get less and less efficient when dirt and dust clog the rad. and you have air cooler that perform better

For the SSD, if 80 gb is enough the Inttel is the choice, if he really need 120, he go with a vertex , or similar. actually I use 40% of my Intel 80gb
Old March 13, 2010, 06:56 AM
Banned

Oops.....I thought it said 5870...my bad....but still no need for that 5970 IMHO unless he has three monitors or such.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:29 AM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Oops.....I thought it said 5870...my bad....but still no need for that 5970 IMHO unless he has three monitors or such.
lol! No, no you were bang on, it was a typo, I meant 5870 the first time. lol I'm not even going to Crossfire this card, it's better then what I have and well priced for the performance.

I want to say thanks for the suggestions. I do want to point out, although I completely understand why you'd suggest shopping online, I have had my identity stolen once and vowed never to do it again. In Toronto, there is no better place to get PC parts, if you know of any better let me know. lol Money isn't a real issue for me so saving a few hundos shopping there rather than online is fine for me. Not to mention I like getting all my parts at once from one vendor, pick them up myself and go from there. But I do appreciate your concern so to speak. :)

I am going to grab a Corsair HX series PSU, I love the modular design. I had wished I can save that $200 (yes, I still TRY and save money lol), and keep the PSU I have. :( As for the RAM, again, there is so much to choose from, look at the link and look under the RAM section and let me know what you'd buy. Pretend a gun was placed at your head and you had to drop 15 to 18 hundos there and no where else! lol!

As for the CPU, please give me a good reason to go 930 over 920, again, if it's just the fact that they're priced near the same with a 200MHz difference then again, TRYING to save some cash (30 bucks as it were) wouldn't it be better to go 920? I'm going to overclock this chip to whatever so it seems like a moot point. But you guys know way more than I so if there's a good reason let me know. :)

As for the CPU Cooler, a shame they have crap! I read reviews on the V8 and it blows.....no pun intended. lol Any suggestions? From there....;)

I'm mega confused on RAM,

DDR3 PC3-10666 1333Mhz
DDR3 PC3-12800 1600Mhz
DDR3 PC3-14400 1800
DDR3 PC3-15000 1866
DDR3 PC3-2000 16000+
DDR3 PC3-8500 1066Mhz

Which one! lol Too many to choose from, I need to know so I can get a price idea. Thanks so much guys again for all your help. :)

EDIT: They just dropped the price of the 930 to 299 from 319 so now it's only 10 bucks more than the 920, so there's the answer! lol

Last edited by Uberg33k; March 13, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
MVP

I'd actually suggest against getting the Corsair; If you've already got the CM it'll do fine, and while the Corsair is better it's probably not worth the upgrade. If/when you need to upgrade your PSU, go for an HX for sure, but until then...just my personal suggestion. CM doesn't make great PSUs, but they're good enough.